Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would happen, if you'd take a US Tesla to Europe or Asia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read that some Teslas were exported to countries where the car was not officially supported. I also heard that someone took a new Model 3 to Europe lately. This made me wonder, how much of a globe trotter one could be with a Tesla (any model, for that matter).

From what I understand, the charge ports are different in Europe. What about other parts of the world? I assume it would be fairly easy to get an adapter.

Would the 4G still work? Navigation, streaming music, remote diagnostics, etc?

Would the car be able to get software updates over the air when in other countries?

Could Autopilot work? What about countries where they drive on the left?

What other features of the car depend on the region it is made for?

You You Xue is shipping his US Model 3 to Europe to do a meet-and-greet roadtrip around the continent (as he had already done in the US and Canada). Hopefully, he may be able to answer some of these questions once he gets underway there.

From what I understand, the charge ports are different in Europe. What about other parts of the world? I assume it would be fairly easy to get an adapter.

• 5-pin connector: USA, Canada, Mexico, Japan, Taiwan
  • 7-pin connector: Europe (including UK), UAE, Jordan, South Korea, China, Hong Kong, Macau, Australia, New Zealand

It seems that countries with 110-130V mains supply have the 5-pin and the 220-240V countries have the 7-pin.

If they were to continue this pattern, the 5-pin would be used in Central and South America, the Caribbean, North Korea, Libya and Liberia. 7-pin would be used in all other countries.

• Informative
Reactions: Hugh Mannity
A friend of mine recently shipped a brand new P100D X over to Indonesia. It has yet to actually arrive. It's been sitting in his warehouse in Singapore. I guess he's waiting for the right time to put it on one of his cargo ships to indo.
My initial concern is it's been 3-4 months and the car has not seen a charge. I expressed my concern, but he had little response. (he has 3 comma's in is bank account) so he doesn't really care.
I figure once it actually gets there they can hardwire his HPWC to th 240 50hz they have there and all should work...right?? Or couldn't' they even plug the 110v wall connector to a wall outlet with the physical adapter? I mean the car doesn't really care what voltage it gets so long as it's between 100-280v? At least that's what the sticker on the chargers read right??

• Informative
Reactions: IchDochNicht
If you take a US Tesla to Europe, charging becomes harder, but it's still possible:

- Public charging is still possible. You need a Type 2 -> Type 1/J1772 cable, and the J1772 -> Tesla adapter. Max charging speed would be 7.4 kW.
- Private charging is still possible. You could either install a US wall connector (max 7.4 kW), or use a Type 1 EVSE and the J1772 adapter (max 7.4 kW). Or you could use the the US UMC with an adapter for socket type (max ~2 kW). With a custom adapter for the UMC, you could probably get 7.4 kW out of the UMC - I think I could make this, if I needed to. (I'm thinking a european blue or red plug supporting 32A, a short 4 mm^2 cable, and a US 240V plug.)
- Rapid charging would still be possible. (Currently only for Model S/X.) You could use a US CHAdeMO adapter. Max charging speed would be around 45 kW.

As you can see, there are workarounds, but it would certainly be more of a hassle.

Last edited:
I figure once it actually gets there they can hardwire his HPWC to th 240 50hz they have there and all should work...right?? Or couldn't' they even plug the 110v wall connector to a wall outlet with the physical adapter? I mean the car doesn't really care what voltage it gets so long as it's between 100-280v? At least that's what the sticker on the chargers read right??
It's not quite that simple. The UMC/car is always analyzing the voltage, frequency and grounding and deciding whether to continue charging or not. Norway has a special UMC, just for us, because we have a different grounding system, which meant needing to make some adjustments. Without knowing the specifics of the grid in Indonesia, I'm sure there is a relatively simple solution, though. I see they have the Schuko-plug, just like Europe, so in all likelihood all the solutions for private charging I outlined would work.

Subject: Re: An update with some great fast charging news

What kind of adapter does it require? Where can I get a DC adapter for Tesla type 1 to your chargers?? Why dont you accept a simple magnetic bank card??? Would you seriously consider buying a gasoline car if you had to become a member at all the gasoline companies and wait for their charging cards to arrive at your mailing adress while you are traveling??? No way. Because this is not 1905 - 1915. right? But for EV owners it is: 110 years behind. What a great progress. Teslas get bought because they have mostly solved this issue. EXCEPT driving a US model anywhere else in the world. Or an EU model in US not to speak about France and Italy. Only the gasoline pioneers accepted this chaos. But they could choose a horse carriage that could recharge along the pathway. And now most people choose a gasoline car. Mostly because of the CHARGING CHAOS

Best wishes
Clemens
Sent from my iPhone

As an explanation to what I wrote above to "fastned.nl". I am moving to Germany, taking my 2013 Tesla S 60 with type 1 electric port with me. Because as a moving good my car is exempt from 10% customs, and 19% sales tax on the overall price, and I did that with several gas cars before. What I did not expect were the enormous difficulties I will face. Mainly because Tesla does not trust its customers. Tesla does not provide a DC- only adapter Type 1 to Type 2 because some dummy might use it for 3 phase AC charging. GRRRRRRR. That means I have to rely on ChaDemos only for DC. This by itself were not terrible if they would not be owned by at least 50 different parties with 50 different rules..... and even when they offer it for free they do not let you charge with bank- credit- debit- EC- or magnet card. That's what EV drivers face when they cannot use Tesla Superchargers. And the advice from Tesla, 1 week before shipping to sell my S and reorder my mod. 3 in EU does not help eather. Has anyone completely sold an S model within 5 workdays ????? with little loss?

As of mod 3.. I am still waiting for the air supension. Need it where I will live. the "roads" are just too bad without it, and I want to tow my little sail boat.

Tesla does not provide a DC- only adapter Type 1 to Type 2 because some dummy might use it for 3 phase AC charging. GRRRRRRR.

Did they tell you that that is the reason? I wouldn't think that would be a problem, it would just feed two of the phases to the Model S and should charge just fine.

I want to tow my little sail boat.

I didn't think you could tow legally in the EU with a Model S. (It has to be certified by the manufacturer for towing, and the only Tesla that has that currently is the Model X.)

For faster charging, if you have 3x16A (3-phase) at home, you can use Electric Car Chargers & EV Wallbox - EVtun
They simply merge phases and 6-8kW of charging speed is possible.

image5-4ba9b312.png

This is very difficult for Tesla SC- charging. Tesla has one, but does not sell, nor support. I had the "Tesla-clinic" in Prague made one for me and with my 2013 model S 60 I get up to 98kw/h. This is ther biggest issue,. because the chademos belong to at least 50 different companies, and they all want you to register with them in order to send you a charging card by snail mail.. so forget spontanuous travels, just like any oither No- Tesla EV- driver.

Would the 4G still work? Navigation, streaming music,
This all does not work and has rto be rebuilt and reprogrammed, Tesla-clinic in Prague, Evelyn Brezynova did that for my Tessi.
remote diagnostics, etc? that seems to work, and, at least the Tesla Service statrion in Hannover, Germany offers service to US- specified cars as of now.

Would the car be able to get software updates over the air when in other countries?
Yes, but it may not be compatible with the changes to EU specs, if have got them done.

Could Autopilot work?
Cruise Control works
What about countries where they drive on the left?

What other features of the car depend on the region it is made for?
The tires made for US market are illegal in EU if you want to register your car there. As long as you keep it registered in US or with USF-Europe you have no problem there.

So: I would not recommend doing it, if you have enpough time in US prior to your travel, to sell ypur babyIMG_7239.JPG IMG_7241.JPG IMG_7241.JPG B820EB47-4FDC-43EA-8523-596F11288322.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike