Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does installing a hitch void your M3 warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I’d like to install a tow hitch for a bicycle rack I already own (from a previous car).

At the time of ordering my Model 3, the SA advised battery damage via a a rear end could be caused due to a hitch install.

Anyone heard of this?

Hi,

I’d like to install a tow hitch for a bicycle rack I already own (from a previous car).

At the time of ordering my Model 3, the SA advised battery damage via a a rear end could be caused due to a hitch install.

Anyone heard of this?
I’ll admit I’m not totally sure, but I think since Tesla doesn’t provide a tow hitch kit for the Model 3, it’s all aftermarket so it would likely void warranty. The SA’s statement might be hyperbole, but in a rear end crash, any aftermarket tow hitch could impale the battery pack. As the rear is where the bulk of the battery monitoring tech is located, it is a serious concern.

Count on the service centre to always be on the overly cautious side. Model 3 should be ready for a hitch now and IMHO the "pack damage" fears are overblown. It would be an insurance issue, not a warranty issue, in any case.

Count on the service centre to always be on the overly cautious side. Model 3 should be ready for a hitch now and IMHO the "pack damage" fears are overblown. It would be an insurance issue, not a warranty issue, in any case.

Saw this too. They need to hurry with that OEM option

Hi,

Anyone heard of this?
I’ve never heard of that.

I had a 2” hitch installed in my 3 which I use for a bicycle rack (not to tow something). I’m not worried about the hitch install voiding the warranty.

@Vawljus wrote: ”I’ll admit I’m not totally sure, but I think since Tesla doesn’t provide a tow hitch kit for the Model 3, it’s all aftermarket so it would likely void warranty.”

Aftermarket vehicle modifications do not automatically void warranties.

Reactions: Smytty and menaknow
I’ve never heard of that.

I had a 2” hitch installed in my 3 which I use for a bicycle rack (not to tow something). I’m not worried about the hitch install voiding the warranty.

@Vawljus wrote: ”I’ll admit I’m not totally sure, but I think since Tesla doesn’t provide a tow hitch kit for the Model 3, it’s all aftermarket so it would likely void warranty.”

Aftermarket vehicle modifications do not automatically void warranties.
In some cases true. Where this one would involve punching holes in the plastic underside covers, adding hardware to the bumper mounts and a few other things (saw a video from the Electrified Garage), I’d be a little more inclined to believe it could be argued to void Tesla’s warranty. *shrug*

It’s not a question I have a definitive answer for.

Reactions: menaknow
I respectfully disagree. Adding a tow hitch aftermarket, that has not materially affected the item in question for warranty purposes (ie. battery), would likely not void the warranty. If a manufacturer said it did, then they would be in violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
Any thoughts Tesla owners?

Reactions: dhrivnak
Sadly in pretty much every case where the service centre takes a specific hard line on something, it’s because some idiot did something stupid, tried to blame Tesla, probably sued and spoiled things for the rest of us. This is the root of most “don’t allow X” bulletins that they have to reiterate.

Anyone heard of this?
Just for a bit of context here. I run a small garage servicing these cars in the gta, and have access to tesla factory service info. Speaking purely from a technical point of view, it is impossible for a hitch install to cause battery damage if it is a well-designed hitch. This is because, in a model 3, the rear of the battery ends at under the rear seats. The trunk area is where the motor lives, and the motor stops slightly after the rear wheels. A well-designed hitch will almost have 0 effect to the crash structure of the car. however, a cheap Chinese hitch, may cause more metal bending in an accident, but it will never ever reach the battery. Also, there is a gigantic hunk of aluminum protecting the rear motor and battery. Your car would practically have to be hit by a semi truck to cause battery damage. . Also, I do tesla rebuilds as a hobby, and I am never concerned about damage to the rear portion of the battery. So yeah, that service center was giving you bs. The only service center I can recommend in the gta is the Oakville one. Great staff there.

Just for a bit of context here. I run a small garage servicing these cars in the gta, and have access to tesla factory service info. Speaking purely from a technical point of view, it is impossible for a hitch install to cause battery damage if it is a well-designed hitch. This is because, in a model 3, the rear of the battery ends at under the rear seats. The trunk area is where the motor lives, and the motor stops slightly after the rear wheels. A well-designed hitch will almost have 0 effect to the crash structure of the car. however, a cheap Chinese hitch, may cause more metal bending in an accident, but it will never ever reach the battery. Also, there is a gigantic hunk of aluminum protecting the rear motor and battery. Your car would practically have to be hit by a semi truck to cause battery damage. . Also, I do tesla rebuilds as a hobby, and I am never concerned about damage to the rear portion of the battery. So yeah, that service center was giving you bs. The only service center I can recommend in the gta is the Oakville one. Great staff there.
So, do you have any hitch recommendation? I'm deciding between Torklift Echo Hitch Stealth and the original Stealth hitch.

I respectfully disagree. Adding a tow hitch aftermarket, that has not materially affected the item in question for warranty purposes (ie. battery), would likely not void the warranty. If a manufacturer said it did, then they would be in violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
Any thoughts Tesla owners?
Sadly that act does not exist in Canada, and is effectively useless as a result.

Reactions: richyrich
Any hitch bike rack recommendations for M3 LR?
I have a KUAT NV with my stealth hitch. It’s pretty bulky, but it works well for 2 bikes. I also have the extension for another 2 bikes - I’d hesitate to put that on the M3 just due to the size and weight.
The 1up is a great rack if you need more than 2.

BTW, I wish Tesla had a bike rack mode to turn off the rear sensors when you have a rack installed. It beeps constantly when backing up, and shows a “moustache” shape behind the car when driving.

I have a KUAT NV with my stealth hitch. It’s pretty bulky, but it works well for 2 bikes. I also have the extension for another 2 bikes - I’d hesitate to put that on the M3 just due to the size and weight.

BTW, I wish Tesla had a bike rack mode to turn off the rear sensors when you have a rack installed. It beeps constantly when backing up, and shows a “moustache” shape behind the car when driving.
That, or a plug in dongle for the trailer hitch electrical connector to do the same. Might shut off AP doing it that way though.

I read in Tesla Model 3 manual that the vertical weight limit for the hitch is 55kg or around 120lb. I know my recently installed Torklift EcoHitch Stealth has a vertical weight limit of 300lb. But I rather keep it below the requirement from Tesla. So I got one of the lightest platform racks for my two hybrid bikes (Kuat Sherpa).