Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does (lack of) traction light ever illuminate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WilliamG

Hinge Fanatic
Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
So tonight in my Model 3 I hammered on it at 20mph in the cold and wet to see if I could break traction. Well, something happened and the car took away some power for a split second before resuming warp speed. But nothing illuminated on the dash to indicate I had experienced this loss of traction. Now, I didn’t feel any noticeable amount of wheel spin, - just a retarding of power (it would be like in an ICE experiencing a flat spot in a tune if you pulled timing).

Anyway, do the wheels have to be spinning like crazy (e.g. in the snow) before any light illuminates?

You need a lot of wheel slip before the traction light comes on. It’s the classic car sliding picture, and it flashes orange. I’m not sure why it won’t light up in light wheel slip conditions, but that’s how it is for whatever reason. It only shows you when things get real loose.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
I have seen the traction indicator come quite a few times last time it snowed here. There was quite a bit of snow on the roads and I wasn't taking it easy, however I was in chill mode and I have the Tesla winter tire setup. I could feel the car taking power away while the wheel was slipping.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG