Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does solar make sense in Texas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do gas pumps work during power outages?
Nope. And even if the station has a generator they are still likely to close since all cash registers and credit card readers require internet connections to unlock and operate. And the internet beyond the gas station property is likely to be down after an hour or so when the network endpoint station's backup batteries die.

• Informative
Reactions: gavine
Nope. And even if the station has a generator they are still likely to close since all cash registers and credit card readers require internet connections to unlock and operate. And the internet beyond the gas station property is likely to be down after an hour or so when the network endpoint station's backup batteries die.

Ironically, I'd rather have an electric car during a power outage. Chances are that my battery has good range in it before the outage happens because I charge it every day. People let their gas cars run low before they fill-up so there would very likely be a percentage of cars with very low fuel before an outage happens.

(moderator note: Received a couple reports that this thread is getting off topic. I dont see anything I need to remove as a moderator, but ask that we pivot the discussion in this thread away from "EVs and ICE during power outages" and back to "economics of solar in Texas")

Reactions: garrett5688
You need to have power for solar power to work? That’s pretty lame but I guess that’s why they don’t need to worry about load shedding...
yea need to isolate from grid when power down ...
short answer for solar to make sense if purely ROI in places where electric rates super low .. difficult ..
if its not just about the money to you .. then it makes a whole lot of sense in so many ways

You need to have power for solar power to work? That’s pretty lame but I guess that’s why they don’t need to worry about load shedding...
Essentially the question is what do you do with the excess solar power. Without batteries, the excess power is just shipped out to the grid. But if there is no operational grid, the solar system will shut down the inverters since if send the excess power out to the grid it could shock workers trying to restore the grid.

But the Powerwall Gateway also monitors the battery and grid state. If the batteries are full it uses the batteries to power the house and after the batteries drain down a bit brings the solar back online to replenish the batteries, and takes solar offline when the batteries are full. The gateway can repeat this filling and powering from the battery from solar cycle for a very long time without the grid. Some members here, like @MorrisonHiker have purposely gone over a week being disconnected from the grid.

• Love
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Essentially the question is what do you do with the excess solar power. Without batteries, the excess power is just shipped out to the grid. But if there is no operational grid, the solar system will shut down the inverters since if send the excess power out to the grid it could shock workers trying to restore the grid.

But the Powerwall Gateway also monitors the battery and grid state. If the batteries are full it uses the batteries to power the house and after the batteries drain down a bit brings the solar back online to replenish the batteries, and takes solar offline when the batteries are full. The gateway can repeat this filling and powering from the battery from solar cycle for a very long time without the grid. Some members here, like @MorrisonHiker have purposely gone over a week being disconnected from the grid.
The line worker safety is kind of secondary… without batteries (aka micro grid) the solar energy generated literally has nowhere to go. It’s impossible for your home load to match solar generation instantaneously for any amount of time, so your PV array is either always over or under producing. It just can’t work without some sort of buffer.

Reactions: Electrph
.... that reason was made clear in the study... no access to fueling at home. One would hope the same rationale will soon apply to ICE. I can't imagine driving a car I can't refuel in my driveway after living with an EV for 8 years.
Will not happen in our lifetime. You love your EV, I love my ICE. Just do not know why folks have to get emotional about we like different stuff

Will not happen in our lifetime. You love your EV, I love my ICE. Just do not know why folks have to get emotional about we like different stuff
I did not read any emotion in the reply @nwdiver stated a possible fact from the study ?
not trying to take sides but if you have not lived with an ev for a while it is hard to understand how much more simple it is day to day. Even ignoring the envoronmental rammifications it is a new and amazing experience. I have loved cars and driving for over 30 years so of course majority ICE. Now going back to ICE, when I drive one seems... old tech. Not sure how to explain to someone who has not lived with an EV for a while. Yes this has an emotional element cause ...of course ... we are human.
I appologize to moderators I have added to the derailment of this thread....my emotions got the best of me.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: gavine and nwdiver
With all that electrical power you generate and need for a minivan have you thought about a hybrid minivan? They are kind of the outs now so there are deals to be had. You could put some of the electricity to use for around-town driving and still have gas for long trips.

With all that electrical power you generate and need for a minivan have you thought about a hybrid minivan? They are kind of the outs now so there are deals to be had. You could put some of the electricity to use for around-town driving and still have gas for long trips.
Yep. I have been looking for a new ideally honda, since I have one now, but they have not updated. So when I do look, I will look at all the different ones. All wheel drive would be nice. and yep, will see if anything is hybrid. Since I drive only like 1000 miles a year, .. I try to never say never :)

Yep. I have been looking for a new ideally honda, since I have one now, but they have not updated. So when I do look, I will look at all the different ones. All wheel drive would be nice. and yep, will see if anything is hybrid. Since I drive only like 1000 miles a year, .. I try to never say never :)
I think that the Chrysler is the only new hybrid minivan being made. All-electric range is 20-30 miles.

Reactions: h2ofun