Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla charge sales tax at its chargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure this will vary by state so maybe I should post it there.

On our Volvo, EA charges 7.75% sales tax at our closest DCFC, which raises their effective rate to .463 vs .43. This is also by the kWh coming out of the charger and not delivered to the battery.

I just checked my latest EVGo billing from a local charger as well and they didn't charge sales tax. Interesting 🤔

B21735AD-8BD8-4275-B938-A082F6F4CAA7.jpeg

Above invoice from Tesla SC in Knoxville, TN. I’ve also charged at another SC in TN which likewise showed 0% tax.

Reactions: Falcon73
Next week I plan to do some supercharging in GA. Would be good to collate data on sales tax in different jurisdictions. It may even vary down to the county level as counties impose sales tax on top of state sales taxes.

Reactions: Falcon73
I went back thru my EA invoices and they only charged me sales tax once. I wonder if that was a mistake, but at $1.73, I'm not going to make an issue of it right now. If it happens again, I probably will.

Hopefully, Tesla hasn't been charging me sales tax, but I haven't found anything like the invoice above yet on the app or on my account. @rob1987 Where can I find that?

Screenshot_20211220-221352.jpg

Reactions: rob1987
It may even vary down to the county level as counties impose sales tax on top of state sales taxes.

I think it's even to the municipality level here in Texas

Texas sales tax is 6.25%, but we pay 8.25% and the extra 2% (or ~33% if you prefer) is for the local light rail and something else. Some municipalities are in the light rail program and some aren't