Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla have a self-driving data advantage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's kind of disgusting to say that the fatality of an owner would be a good result for Tesla.
And If you read that media reports of home invasion killings benefit the bottom line of gun manufacturers ?

I prefer less obnoxious word crafting too, but the question is interesting.
To answer OP: I think AP associated deaths harm Tesla. AP is one of the emerging crown jewels in the Tesla toolbox, and the last thing they want is regulatory drag on their ability to leverage their expertise. I fully expect the Germans to flood the media with AP FUD in hopes of closing down Tesla's current on-road advantage.

Consider this a foot race that has a long way to go. The moat envisioned is the lead that Tesla currently enjoys, but it ignores the fact that Tesla is accelerating faster than the other runners. A regulatory clamp-down will level the acceleration rate across the field.

Last edited:
This, in my mind is an important distinction, which in conjunction with the OP's point (concerning the path other manufacturers should optimally take) cannot be overstated.

One need look no further than other manufacturers' implementations of, for example, Autosteer (lanekeeping) to get a good idea of substandard.

I would rather the bar be set *very* high for the players in this sandbox. Let them all canoodle as they are in the R&D stage. But you could pull most of what's out there today, and presumably tomorrow from most manufacturers and we would not be worse off for it.

Neverminding that the other manufacturers will have to end up copying Tesla's OTA approach for updates, and that will be a neat trick given the scale differences.

Finally, if Sir Branson's prognostication comes to pass (mostly EV in 14 years), and personally I think he's smoking whatever it is that billionaires smoke in place of crack, then the other manufacturers are even MORE behind not just in features and safety and updateability, but in infrastructure.

Yeah... the gap is not closing. Yet.
Say Mr Tao - is that your S around Snyder Road?

Some of you are way too worried on this IMO.. The government is not going to ban anything..

Just look at how well tesla stock as hold up.. Amazingly well considering that the SolarCity deal is going to add billions of dollars of debt to the balance sheet and hundreds of millions of dollars of losses every year.

The market clearly is not too concerned by the autopilot.