Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the 12 volt accessory plug in the trunk area of the Y stay active if car is turned off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt I will live long enough to see mains power available in the cabin while driving down the road. I am not even all that old.
Why? Doesn't seem all that difficult to implement the feature. Elon even briefly talked about potentially adding this, but then again he talked about many potential features in the past that hasn't appeared yet... 😅

• Funny
Reactions: Dangaurd_Ace
I doubt I will live long enough to see mains power available in the cabin while driving down the road. I am not even all that old.
You have lived long enough. Cybertruck has it now.

I know the parts to use to install AC outlets into a Model S/3/X/Y, except for connecting the inverter into the high voltage battery pack. I suppose I could buy a motor power harness, and then splice into it. Wouldn't be integrated nicely and controllable from the screen. Also the car can't take into account it's draw for range calculations.

In the Cybertruck it looks like they use the AC charger circuits for the AC Inverter. So you lose ac outlets when plugged in to an EVSE. I could design a circuit that does that, but I've no reason to. I generally leave one off circuits to others who can sell many of them.

Last edited:
We travel (and camp) quite a bit, and in some situations, we need to conserve the car battery. So ideally, I didn't want to enable sentry or camp mode unnecessarily.

My small battery method works ok, but only for few hours as I believe it is only 250Wh.

But my setup is a pain sometimes as I must make sure it is always providing power to the fridge during travel - it unfortunately turns the output off if it is fully drained and stays that way until I press a button. So once in a while, I find fridge off even though the small battery is full, even when we are actively driving.

I basically need a battery that by default turns on 110v or 12v output when there some juice left. I have yet to find one. The model I use is Jackery.

The best solution would have been to have something equivalent to the Hyundai EV solution - direct 110v from the main battery!
I camp also....usually on my BMW 1200gs motorcycle......but when the wife goes I go in my Model Y or Model 3......I timed a fully charged Jackery 300 to see how long it would run..I seemed to run from ambient (65F) and when it got to temp, (35F), it was at 85%.....It went overnight and was at 23% at 0800...started at 1200 midnight....

My final answer is this......I take the Jackery 300 for in car use at night when we sleep......We use Camp mode with little to no A/C and lowest fan speed...We just want to have some air movement.....temperature will be controlled based on outside temp......During the day, I plu the cooler into my Jackery Pro 3000 or Anker 767....Used very little power and if we are going to be gone more than 5 days, I take either one Jackery 200w solar panel or the Anker 100w solar panel to keep power going into the solar generator......the cooler is in the sub-trunk and out of the way.....The Solar generators are on the side of the trunk up against the back seat.....the StarGazing air mattress is rolled up in its case/cover and sits next to the solar generator....that leaves plenty of space of the web gas grill and clothes....The panel(s) sit on top of clothes/pillows/sheets and blanket and does not block vision....

When driving, we can run cooler on the 16vdc outlet in the trunk......When stopped to charge or take a dinner/lunch break away from superchargers, we leave the cabin temperature protection on....We also charge to 100% when driving to our camp site and make sure we arrive with no less than 60% if possible and still have access to a close supercharger.....This just takes prior planning.....I am sure as you continue to use your tools, car and chargers you will find a good method and something that works for you and your application......

I did do some checking and found out that the rear dc outlet is rated as 16 volts which is what a lot o coolers use.....so check that out also....I am not sure what the from dc outlet use, but I believe it is 12vdc......

Hope all works out for you and my experiences benefit you in some way......good luck

I camp also....usually on my BMW 1200gs motorcycle......but when the wife goes I go in my Model Y or Model 3......I timed a fully charged Jackery 300 to see how long it would run..I seemed to run from ambient (65F) and when it got to temp, (35F), it was at 85%.....It went overnight and was at 23% at 0800...started at 1200 midnight....

My final answer is this......I take the Jackery 300 for in car use at night when we sleep......We use Camp mode with little to no A/C and lowest fan speed...We just want to have some air movement.....temperature will be controlled based on outside temp......During the day, I plu the cooler into my Jackery Pro 3000 or Anker 767....Used very little power and if we are going to be gone more than 5 days, I take either one Jackery 200w solar panel or the Anker 100w solar panel to keep power going into the solar generator......the cooler is in the sub-trunk and out of the way.....The Solar generators are on the side of the trunk up against the back seat.....the StarGazing air mattress is rolled up in its case/cover and sits next to the solar generator....that leaves plenty of space of the web gas grill and clothes....The panel(s) sit on top of clothes/pillows/sheets and blanket and does not block vision....

When driving, we can run cooler on the 16vdc outlet in the trunk......When stopped to charge or take a dinner/lunch break away from superchargers, we leave the cabin temperature protection on....We also charge to 100% when driving to our camp site and make sure we arrive with no less than 60% if possible and still have access to a close supercharger.....This just takes prior planning.....I am sure as you continue to use your tools, car and chargers you will find a good method and something that works for you and your application......

I did do some checking and found out that the rear dc outlet is rated as 16 volts which is what a lot o coolers use.....so check that out also....I am not sure what the from dc outlet use, but I believe it is 12vdc......

Hope all works out for you and my experiences benefit you in some way......good luck
Interesting to read how you approach to this situation.

I have a question - I also have a Jackery 1.5Kwh model, which fits in the footwell of the second row nicely. Initially, I charged it directly from the 12v socket in the console box, but I lost two cables due to overheat problem. So I switched to rear one, but still the plug was getting awfully hot - too hot to touch.

So I experimented a bit, and now I charge the smaller Jackery from the rear 12v socket, and this Jackery charges the bigger Jackery. It's really convoluted, but at least it doesn't overheat... 😅

So on short/day trips, we only bring a smaller Jackery which fits in the rear side well, and bring both during longer trips.

Do you have any overheating issues charging either of your large capacity batteries?

• Love
What year/month did you get your Y delivered?

Mine does turn itself off, so I had to buy a small battery that connects between the car and the fridge, just to gain the ability to keep it on for an extended period of time without using camp/sentry/etc mode.
this is what we've been doing for a few years, got a small portable batter pack in the event you want the car no kidding down-down, and keep the fridge fridging, sometimes got the fridge in the back 12v socket, with the battery charging off the front socket ( if you're a gen X'er the secret smoking/go fast when dad's out of the car button).

Reactions: JohnB007
Interesting to read how you approach to this situation.

I have a question - I also have a Jackery 1.5Kwh model, which fits in the footwell of the second row nicely. Initially, I charged it directly from the 12v socket in the console box, but I lost two cables due to overheat problem. So I switched to rear one, but still the plug was getting awfully hot - too hot to touch.

So I experimented a bit, and now I charge the smaller Jackery from the rear 12v socket, and this Jackery charges the bigger Jackery. It's really convoluted, but at least it doesn't overheat... 😅

So on short/day trips, we only bring a smaller Jackery which fits in the rear side well, and bring both during longer trips.

Do you have any overheating issues charging either of your large capacity batteries?
when charging, what type of cable were you using? 12dcv on one end and USB-C or USB-A on the other? ....that's ok I think from car 12vdc outlet..... My Jackery 300 discharges from the 12vdc (12vdc/10amps).... the dc input to the Jackery 300, is with a cable from 110 ac inverter to the 12 vdc input on the Jackery 300 and plugged into a 110 vac outlet.......I can also charge th Jackery from a solar panel as well...

The Jackery Pro 3000 or Anker -767 (2000w) have had no issues when plugging in the cooler directly to them.....I also have not experienced any over-temp issues when to cooler is plugger into the 16vdc trunk socket, except when I did not properly ventilate it on return from Blythe.....we picked up an additional passenger and my aunt had lots of little bags and clothes hanging bags which laid over the floor cover.....our biggest concern was while driving when I got over-temp code, but I found that to be my fault which I quickly corrected.....as mentioned before, I cut little pieces of styrofoam ¾"w x 3"l x 1"h.....that is especially good when using the model 3 ventilation cover in the Model 3 with the floor board hard cover....

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnB007
when charging, what type of cable were you using? 12dcv on one end and USB-C or USB-A on the other? ....that's ok I think from car 12vdc outlet..... My Jackery 300 discharges from the 12vdc (12vdc/10amps).... the dc input to the Jackery 300, is with a cable from 110 ac inverter to the 12 vdc input on the Jackery 300 and plugged into a 110 vac outlet.......I can also charge th Jackery from a solar panel as well...

The Jackery Pro 3000 or Anker -767 (2000w) have had no issues when plugging in the cooler directly to them.....I also have not experienced any over-temp issues when to cooler is plugger into the 16vdc trunk socket, except when I did not properly ventilate it on return from Blythe.....we picked up an additional passenger and my aunt had lots of little bags and clothes hanging bags which laid over the floor cover.....our biggest concern was while driving when I got over-temp code, but I found that to be my fault which I quickly corrected.....as mentioned before, I cut little pieces of styrofoam ¾"w x 3"l x 1"h.....that is especially good when using the model 3 ventilation cover in the Model 3 with the floor board hard cover....
Looks like my smaller Jackery is also the model 300. That one has no overheating issues in all usecases.

The place where I have issue with heat is the cig lighter plug attached to the Jackery 1500. It gets really hot which touches the car's socket. I wish if I had an option to charge Jackery 1500 more slowly so that it generates less heat in the process. Battery itself isn't hot at all, just the plug part.

• Helpful
Looks like my smaller Jackery is also the model 300. That one has no overheating issues in all usecases.

The place where I have issue with heat is the cig lighter plug attached to the Jackery 1500. It gets really hot which touches the car's socket. I wish if I had an option to charge Jackery 1500 more slowly so that it generates less heat in the process. Battery itself isn't hot at all, just the plug part.
question...since Jackery is pretty reliable and they beat their products before selling them (still parts are made in china to a level of QA that is...) when you say it gets hot...is it no kidding tacky sticky hot, or really warm? are you able to get a temperature reading off it? I've had a 12 socket get 110F, that's really warm, but not inherently dangerous.

question...since Jackery is pretty reliable and they beat their products before selling them (still parts are made in china to a level of QA that is...) when you say it gets hot...is it no kidding tacky sticky hot, or really warm? are you able to get a temperature reading off it? I've had a 12 socket get 110F, that's really warm, but not inherently dangerous.
It was hot enough that I couldn't keep my finger on it for more than a second or two. It was hot enough that two cables were fried. Thankfully, they sent me free replacement cables. I was concerned since this could also mean the 12v socket on my car could be potentially very hot too.

This doesn't happen with Jackery 300.

• Love