Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the 2022 Model X have a heat pump?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Refreshed model X has all of the same updates as the model S including the heat pump and the carbon fiber wrapped motor on the Plaids. Only the taillights and headlights have not yet been updated, but they will be.

Reactions: Prairie
So the MX Long range 2022 will have the heat pump? Someone today said the heat pump gives better range ( less loss) due to weather conditions. thank you
Traditional heaters use lots of energy to create heat, like burning, or in previous Tesla: using electricity to heat a resistive heater.

A heat pump does not create heat. It pumps heat from somewhere else to you. The heat source could be the atmosphere or wasted heat from the drive unit and battery pack. Because a heat pump does not create heat, it only transports heat, so it is more efficient and takes less energy.

Even at the freezing point of 32F outside, there's still heat to pump into your cabin because 32F is hotter than 31F, 30F, 29F...

Using less electricity to pump the heat means there's more electricity left in your battery pack for range.

Reactions: Prairie
A resistance heater also gives you warm air faster, and it works no matter how cold it is outside...heat pumps lose efficiency as it gets colder; in fact when very cold they can use MORE energy than a resistance heater, and may even stop working at all. Older heat pumps used to start having these problems not far below freezing, but I believe modern heat pumps are much better, and it's possible (?) that the lowest efficient temperatures are now low enough that nobody will hit these issues - I am not sure.

I am not arguing for resistance heaters; I think heat pumps are great, especially for me as I live in a fairly moderate climate. But there's tradeoffs to everything. Resistance heaters are small and cheap enough that I would think a premium automaker could have backup resistance heaters alongside a primary heat pump.