Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Y have a built in USB drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla 128GB USB memory stick is not designed for video applications. As a result the Tesla provided USB drive will probably be corrupted in less than a year. It is not the data rate that is the issue when using Tesla Dashcam and Sentry mode but the frequency of write operations that will cause a standard USB device to quickly fail. An SSD would be a better choice for long term reliability. Also recommended is a High Endurance (Sandisk) or PRO Endurance (Samsung) MicroSD card and a USB adapter. The MicoSD card and adapter is less expensive than an SSD, takes less space and uses less power. The Tesla provided 128GB USB memory stick is nice swag but Tesla did not provide a memory storage device that is well suited for Dashcam and Sentry mode recordings.
Thx, I’m now going with the MicroSD.

The dash-cam and sentry features on my Model Y are a bit strange.

I don't have any USB drives plugged in and the sentry and dash-cam works normally.

I'm now getting a warning that my USB drive is getting full and it wants me to format. If I actually plug a USB drive in, the option to format goes away.

I'm a little worried about pressing format drive if it's using some internal storage that is not normally used.

I'd also like to be able to download my clips to a real USB drive so I can watch them on my PC.

Does anyone know anything about this?
Where is the USB flash drive located?