Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Y have a built in USB drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The dash-cam and sentry features on my Model Y are a bit strange.

I don't have any USB drives plugged in and the sentry and dash-cam works normally.

I'm now getting a warning that my USB drive is getting full and it wants me to format. If I actually plug a USB drive in, the option to format goes away.

I'm a little worried about pressing format drive if it's using some internal storage that is not normally used.

I'd also like to be able to download my clips to a real USB drive so I can watch them on my PC.

Does anyone know anything about this?

There was a recent software update that allows the car to save some video on internal memory if there's nothing attached via USB.

How old is your Model Y? Did you check inside the glove box to see if there's a USB port and drive already installed? If not, go ahead and plug yours in and format it and it will be used going forward.

The dash-cam and sentry features on my Model Y are a bit strange.

I don't have any USB drives plugged in and the sentry and dash-cam works normally.

I'm now getting a warning that my USB drive is getting full and it wants me to format. If I actually plug a USB drive in, the option to format goes away.

I'm a little worried about pressing format drive if it's using some internal storage that is not normally used.

I'd also like to be able to download my clips to a real USB drive so I can watch them on my PC.

Does anyone know anything about this?
My model Y delivered in February 2021 has a USB stick pre-installed by Tesla on a USB C port in the Glove box. It is on the left hand side of the box. Have you checked in the glove box? If so, that that is your answer.

Is the Tesla installed USB stick in the glove box already formatted?, stupid question so I apologies in advance
I have 2021 Model 3 with an included 128GB Tesla USB drive in the glove box and it was preformatted in exFAT with the required TeslaCam folder already in it. Basically car was already ready to go for Dashcam / Sentry recordings.

Wow....didn’t know. I thought it was odd that sentry/dashcam was working when I picked up the car (late 2021 MY).
I installed a SSD drive of my own in the center console. I will pull it and check today if anything was written to it. If not, I end up with a 500GB to repurpose.

Wow....didn’t know. I thought it was odd that sentry/dashcam was working when I picked up the car (late 2021 MY).
I installed a SSD drive of my own in the center console. I will pull it and check today if anything was written to it. If not, I end up with a 500GB to repurpose.
Just checked......actually it is writing to both, not simultaneously, but clips on the Tesla stick and SSD on the same day.

I guess I could play around and see what the write hierarchy is, but too lazy. I am going to pull the SSD and just continue to write to the pre-installed USB stick.

The Tesla 128GB USB memory stick is not designed for video applications. As a result the Tesla provided USB drive will probably be corrupted in less than a year. It is not the data rate that is the issue when using Tesla Dashcam and Sentry mode but the frequency of write operations that will cause a standard USB device to quickly fail. An SSD would be a better choice for long term reliability. Also recommended is a High Endurance (Sandisk) or PRO Endurance (Samsung) MicroSD card and a USB adapter. The MicoSD card and adapter is less expensive than an SSD, takes less space and uses less power. The Tesla provided 128GB USB memory stick is nice swag but Tesla did not provide a memory storage device that is well suited for Dashcam and Sentry mode recordings.

The Tesla 128GB USB memory stick is not designed for video applications. As a result the Tesla provided USB drive will probably be corrupted in less than a year. It is not the data rate that is the issue when using Tesla Dashcam and Sentry mode but the frequency of write operations that will cause a standard USB device to quickly fail. An SSD would be a better choice for long term reliability. Also recommended is a High Endurance (Sandisk) or PRO Endurance (Samsung) MicroSD card and a USB adapter. The MicoSD card and adapter is less expensive than an SSD, takes less space and uses less power. The Tesla provided 128GB USB memory stick is nice swag but Tesla did not provide a memory storage device that is well suited for Dashcam and Sentry mode recordings.
thx

Replace the Tesla thumb drive with a storage device that has better utility, i.e. one that is fit for the purpose of capturing video from Dashcam and Sentry Mode. Consider an SSD or a MicroSD card and a USB adapter. The SSD will usually have a larger storage capacity, at least 500GB. If you decide to use a MicroSD card make sure to get either a High Endurance type MicroSD (sold by Sandisk) or a PRO Endurance MicroSD card (sold by Samsung.) These Endurance rated MicroSD cards are better suited to the high volume of write operations needed when capturing, storing video files. A MicroSD card with 128GB capacity can store ~17 hours of Tesla video. If you have a large music collection that you want to load onto the storage device then it makes sense to purchase a larger capacity MicroSD card or SSD.

Note that Tesla Dashcam only stores 1 hour of 10 minute long video clips, then overwrites the data unless you save the dash cam clip. You can save the clip by either tapping on the Tesla Dashcam icon on the screen, honking the horn of the Tesla vehicle (can be selected in settings) or in the event of a collision. Any saved Dashcam recording or Sentry Mode event will be saved on the storage device until you delete the file or format the storage device.

Tesla Dashcam software, Dashcam/Sentry Mode viewer now format the storage device for you in exFAT, FAT32 or NTFS format so there is no need to pay more and purchase a pre-formatted memory storage device (because the year is no longer 2019.)

I received my Model Y before Tesla started including the thumb drive. I have been using a Sandisk USB adapter and a Samsung PRO Endurance card since last June with no issues. (You can now purchase a bundled Sandisk High Endurance MicroSD card with 128GB of storage and a Sandisk USB adapter for ~$35 on Amazon.

Last edited: