Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does this electric quote seem high for the work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to permanently power my wall connector. It's currently on a temporary 240v 30 amp circuit using a safe method.

My service is currently overhead and my meter is on the outside wall of my garage and the 200 amp main breaker is on the inside garage which then feeds to the main panel in my basement. Here is what I would like to do.

• Convert overhead service to underground, it is around 50 ft to the pole so everything outside needs replaced
  • Install a double tap service to feed my existing 200 amp and just install a new 120 amp panel in my garage
  • Install one 14-50 outlet about 3 feet to the right of where my service is located
  • Install two 5-20R 120v 20 amp outlets
  • Wire up my wall connector about 4 feet to the right of where the service is located.

So I called a couple of electricians that Tesla had listed and they wanted over $14,000. Over fourteen thousand dollars. How? I asked one of the contractors how much I would save if I kept the service overhead and it was was a $2,000 savings or still $12,000.

This appears epic level unreasonable. I have been planning alternatives.

• Disagree
Reactions: Dmagyar
I need to permanently power my wall connector. It's currently on a temporary 240v 30 amp circuit using a safe method.

My service is currently overhead and my meter is on the outside wall of my garage and the 200 amp main breaker is on the inside garage which then feeds to the main panel in my basement. Here is what I would like to do.

• Convert overhead service to underground, it is around 50 ft to the pole so everything outside needs replaced
  • Install a double tap service to feed my existing 200 amp and just install a new 120 amp panel in my garage
  • Install one 14-50 outlet about 3 feet to the right of where my service is located
  • Wire up my wall connector about 4 feet to the right of where the service is located.

So I called a couple of electricians that Tesla had listed and they wanted over $14,000. Over fourteen thousand dollars. How? I asked one of the contractors how much I would save if I kept the service overhead and it was was a $2,000 savings or still $12,000.

Probably best to KISS.
Since you have your main breaker in the garage, you could add the 14-50 with an additional breaker in this box (my main service panel has a space for an additional breaker which can be 25% of the main breaker rating... Siemens). You may need a new main breaker box.
I found an enclosure with a 14-50 and a duplex 5-20 (both with breakers) at home depot.
GE 70 Amp 2-Space 2-Circuit 240-Volt Unmetered RV Outlet Box with 50 Amp and 20 Amp GCFI Circuit Protected Receptacles-GE1LU502SS - The Home Depot

Reactions: dhrivnak
There is only a single 200 amp breaker in the garage and that’s it, main disconnect only. My secondary plan is to run 3 AWG SER from a 100 amp breaker in my main panel to my garage then use THHN in conduit. I plan on replacing my other car with a model Y so I’m planning for two wall connectors.

I don't think you can tap off the 200 amp output to the basement. Get an estimate for running wires from an additional 50 amp breaker in the basement box to a 14-50 outlet in the garage. That's straight-forward. Forget about underground feed. You don't need the wall charger, the UMC2s are enough.

Reactions: whatthe2
I already have a wall connector and have it configured to charge 24 amp at 240 but the setup is temporary. And it’s too slow. I often make 100+ mile trips and I’ve run into some turn around time issues for back to back trips. I want the full 48 amps. I also plan on replacing my Infiniti with a Model Y so I want to prepare. My alternate plan gives up on having a 14-50R or 5-20R outlet installed. Running SER 3 awg from my basement box to my garage should be easy.

Assuming 200A service is sufficient, can you replace the 200A breaker only panel with a mobile home feed through panel such as:
PW0816B1200TC?
Siemens PL Series 200 Amp 8-Space 16-Circuit Main Breaker Outdoor Trailer Panel Load Center-PW0816B1200TC - The Home Depot

You can also get interlock kits for these which allow you to connect a generator.

Dhrhh did his, so did i. Cost $200 at Home Depot
You need ,
50 amp double breaker
14.50 in lock box complete
00 4 strand wire, very heavy hard to bend, red, black, white, green
Hardest part was the wire is so hard to work with.
Watch the videos on you tube, all of them , it will make it easy.
CAUTION dont reverse the red black.
There is a post today above this one where the guy used wrong outlet , was using adapter. Fire in outlet.

Giggle. I smoked charger pole at Hilton in Daytona Beach. It was wired wrong, i plugged in and it melted the pole the Tesla charger was mounted on. Red and black were reversed in the pole.

I already have a wall connector and have it configured to charge 24 amp at 240 but the setup is temporary. And it’s too slow. I often make 100+ mile trips and I’ve run into some turn around time issues for back to back trips. I want the full 48 amps. I also plan on replacing my Infiniti with a Model Y so I want to prepare. My alternate plan gives up on having a 14-50R or 5-20R outlet installed. Running SER 3 awg from my basement box to my garage should be easy.
The UMC recharges at 32 m/h at 32 amps.

HCWC are a good idea in colder climates especially and when trying to manage multiple EVs charging.
Besides spreading the wear and tear across multiple plugs and having backup charging solutions is good.

The "single UMC is all you ever need" crowd is very short sighted from a number of angles.

The UMC recharges at 32 m/h at 32 amps.
I already own a Wall Connector so why would I not wire it up? The Wall Connector charges at 44 m/h at 48 amps. That's just over 25% faster and I have cases where I can use it. So far my work around is to drive my super gas hog G37x. I'd rather drive my Model 3.

Here it is installed in the temp location. HINT: My utility room is on the other side of the wall. I wanted it to stick out from the wall so I put the extra bracket on it which will be used by surface conduit. BTW the previous owner damaged the wall so I have no idea how that happened but I plan on fixing it when I move the Wall Connector. My 1970's main disconnect is below as well. I'm not sure if it is the backside of the meter or a separate box. I do not have the guts to take the panel off a live 240 volt 200 amp service cutoff.

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_E0004.JPG

I already own a Wall Connector so why would I not wire it up? The Wall Connector charges at 44 m/h at 48 amps. That's just over 25% faster and I have cases where I can use it. So far my work around is to drive my super gas hog G37x. I'd rather drive my Model 3.

Here it is installed in the temp location. HINT: My utility room is on the other side of the wall. I wanted it to stick out from the wall so I put the extra bracket on it which will be used by surface conduit. BTW the previous owner damaged the wall so I have no idea how that happened but I plan on fixing it when I move the Wall Connector. My 1970's main disconnect is below as well. I'm not sure if it is the backside of the meter or a separate box. I do not have the guts to take the panel off a live 240 volt 200 amp service cutoff.

View attachment 372432

View attachment 372433
Looks like separate box (missing its door) to meet the requirement on amount of service wire inside the premises.

There are no additional knockouts to add breakers. The whole thing looks dumb. I do not understand why I could not have 320 fed into something like that then feed it to 200 amp service in my basement as is and feed rest of garage from that new panel.... and have outside redone for way under $14,000. I forgot to mention I need to redo my incoming service line because of how they ran it overhead, basically it is breaking loose because of how they secured the overhead wire. Figured since I would need a new meter may as well run it underground.

Electrical codes may prohibit a tap off the 200 A master box to a second feed box. My comments about the UMC being sufficient is because adding a 14-50 outlet is the cheapest solution for almost all users. Until recently the wall chargers had to be wired in. I also have 2 30 amp dryer outlets in my garage that will charge at 24 amps/ mph.

There are no additional knockouts to add breakers. The whole thing looks dumb. I do not understand why I could not have 320 fed into something like that then feed it to 200 amp service in my basement as is and feed rest of garage from that new panel.... and have outside redone for way under $14,000. I forgot to mention I need to redo my incoming service line because of how they ran it overhead, basically it is breaking loose because of how they secured the overhead wire. Figured since I would need a new meter may as well run it underground.
The power company may be responsible for the integrity of the house feed up to and including the meter.

• Informative
Reactions: Atari2600