Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doing things out of order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mrcarcrazy

In need of a shrinking gun to zap a plaid with.
May 22, 2019
South Padre Island, Tx
I was able to install a wall connector this weekend (that I bought from a member here, thanks for that!). 60Amp setup using absurdly large wire. Whomever decided a 1” connection was wise should get a kick to the teeth. PITA in small town America To find 1” conduit/connections.

The car:

I’m waiting on my credit union to determine the value of the model 3 performance that I have ordered and it is currently sitting in Southern Cali waiting to come to Texas. (Hoping everything gets sorted Monday and the car can head to San Antonio).

If it’s in San Antonio by next weekend I’ll make the drive, if not, it will be delivered to me.

Super excited about this whole adventure into a new world. (I fixed connector cable looking all wonky today, pic is from yesterday.

Attachments

• 24FD6196-6763-4A60-BCB2-5CA91C5EAEBF.jpeg
    24FD6196-6763-4A60-BCB2-5CA91C5EAEBF.jpeg
    253 KB · Views: 91
I was able to install a wall connector this weekend (that I bought from a member here, thanks for that!). 60Amp setup using absurdly large wire. Whomever decided a 1” connection was wise should get a kick to the teeth. PITA in small town America To find 1” conduit/connections.

The car:

I’m waiting on my credit union to determine the value of the model 3 performance that I have ordered and it is currently sitting in Southern Cali waiting to come to Texas. (Hoping everything gets sorted Monday and the car can head to San Antonio).

If it’s in San Antonio by next weekend I’ll make the drive, if not, it will be delivered to me.

Super excited about this whole adventure into a new world. (I fixed connector cable looking all wonky today, pic is from yesterday.

You can use 3/4" conduit and a reducer.

• Informative
Reactions: eprosenx
You can use 3/4" conduit and a reducer.
Oh I know.

My compliant isn’t with the conduit itself. It’s with the oddball size. When you are depending on a tiny old school hardware store in a city of 5k people, “typical parts” are your options. I made it work with 1” parts one of which had to be customized.

Reactions: woodguyatl
Oh I know.

My compliant isn’t with the conduit itself. It’s with the oddball size. When you are depending on a tiny old school hardware store in a city of 5k people, “typical parts” are your options. I made it work with 1” parts one of which had to be customized.

Remember, the HPWC can be set all the way up to 80A output, with load sharing. In such an install, 1” isn’t overkill at all - it’d be needed for proper fill as the wiring gets distributed across multiple HPWCs. Seems to me they sized it for the largest possible commercial install, instead of the typical residential use case.

That said - I don’t know why the knockouts on the bracket couldn’t be “stepped” 3/4” and 1”. Would’ve been easy enough to have a reducer ring at the opening.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Our electrician ran cable inside the wall.

Didn’t get HPWC installed in time for our first Tesla. Charged at nearby Nissan dealer after driving car from delivery in Chicago to home near Philadelphia. Then 120 volt wall outlet.

Attachments

• 919CDC86-2040-4D95-A02D-A505189DB0B8.jpeg
    919CDC86-2040-4D95-A02D-A505189DB0B8.jpeg
    596.3 KB · Views: 41
1” conduit is required to meet NEC if installing it on a 100A breaker. I suppose it’s uncommon for residential work, but there’s nothing unusual about it commercially.

I’d say getting the charger set before the cars ready is quite treasonable. No sense in charging off a regular outlet if you can help it.

• Informative
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy