Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dome lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

m3gt2

Sep 14, 2015
england
Hi, can someone tell me what the auto setting does for these as I can't find any logic with it! I thought it would be either on when a door is open or on when a door is open and it's dark but they never seem to come on when it's dark!

Auto for me behaves like traditional interior lights: they come on when the motor is off. So you unlock the car and the lights come on, you get in and put it in drive, they switch off. You arrive at your destination and put it in park, the lights come on.

Reactions: m3gt2
Hi, can someone tell me what the auto setting does for these as I can't find any logic with it! I thought it would be either on when a door is open or on when a door is open and it's dark but they never seem to come on when it's dark!

I had this problem - in the end I found out the dome lights were physically off at delivery. If you turn them on and set to auto it should be ok (tho perhaps worth checking that there isn’t an “always on” state to drain the battery like in an ICE car.

Just seems a very odd way for them to work!
There are things, that depending on your training, the industry you may work in, your previous car and where you were raised, that seems like things don't make sense. This is not one of them for me.

However, there are some things on this Model S that you have to ask yourself: who thought this through? Who is doing the describing here? Not car people, computer people. I'm both of those, so its easier to decipher the minds of "Minolta".

Perhaps in this case if it just said "Normal, with fade to off", instead of "Automatic". Or just "Normal". Its too normal, I think, to do that.

I seem to be having a problem with mine... when I set it to auto it resets to off after the car is locked/unlocked!

I've rebooted the car and the screen but it doesn't make any difference.
Anyone else experiencing this (its bloody annoying getting in a black car with a black interior in the dark and having no lights) and/or have a solution to make sure the setting is 'sticky'?

I seem to be having a problem with mine... when I set it to auto it resets to off after the car is locked/unlocked!

I've rebooted the car and the screen but it doesn't make any difference.
Anyone else experiencing this (its bloody annoying getting in a black car with a black interior in the dark and having no lights) and/or have a solution to make sure the setting is 'sticky'?
I’ve replied to your other post about making sure you are saving to the correct profile as every setting needs to be saved

If you open the door [without selecting Park] the car will go into Park, so that should bring the Dome lights on too (but I haven't specifically tried that)
Thank, after trying many combinations I realised that the best solution for me was to put it in park every time someone was getting out of the car, this puts the lights on as mentioned but also ensures the doors all lock when you pull away again.