Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don’t use suction cup devices on the piano black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_3982.jpg
IMG_3983.jpg
IMG_3987.jpg
IMG_0769.JPG

I feel your pain. Holding an iPhone on the Model 3 does not work easily. The charger inside doesn't support an iPhone with a case, even a thin one. You can buy an extension to the connection, but then a large iPhone does not fit into the cabinet. Really not a thought through design. I ended up putting my iPhone into the cup holders and having a cable running from the back seats to charge it. Any of my cars before did a better job.

Reactions: more863-also
I feel your pain. Holding an iPhone on the Model 3 does not work easily. The charger inside doesn't support an iPhone with a case, even a thin one. You can buy an extension to the connection, but then a large iPhone does not fit into the cabinet. Really not a thought through design. I ended up putting my iPhone into the cup holders and having a cable running from the back seats to charge it. Any of my cars before did a better job.

Best alternative I’ve found is the Taptes wireless charge pad. So much more convenient than having to fumble with plugging and unplugging a cable every time.

@abwmma I use this setup as well but with a different brand mount. Are you concerned about the suction cup and tacky adhesive pulling the finish off the back of the screen? I think the finish wont peel on the back of the screen, but this video has me a bit worried.

When I saw the coating damage, I was thinking it was achieved thru some sort of vapor deposition.

After doing some Googling for stuff like piano black vapor deposition, I stumbled across stuff like Taking an interior view - Automotive Manufacturing Solutions that refers to PVD and an alternative: direct coating, direct skinning (DCDS). I guess it makes sense now that it's coating and is something I should keep in mind in case I see piano black surfaces in other cars. Maybe someone here who knows plastics and such coating can chime in?

• Informative
Reactions: Kant.Ing

If we are talking about the Tesla's phone charging bay, the above is not true. I have an iPhone XSMax in Apple's silicon case and it fits just fine in the charging area. We can't fit two of the same phones at the same time but it works with one. I use the second USB port under the phone charging area for my TeslaCam USB flashdrive now, so that's fine with me. Photo below illustrating that even the largest iPhone works there.

F1C45B6E-7AC7-4787-93F2-9A4FAB10F6EE.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Runt8
Yikes, sorry that happened to you.

I recommend the mount below to anyone looking for an alternative to the 3's stock phone shelf. I mounted it behind the lower left corner of the screen. Have had it for a couple months now and really like it. It's very stable, both angle and arm length is adjustable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H68QFB8/

Have a pic of it installed? I mean a close up of the mount on the dash... I'm still experimenting with mounts and trying to find the best place to put my portable XM radio...

@abwmma I use this setup as well but with a different brand mount. Are you concerned about the suction cup and tacky adhesive pulling the finish off the back of the screen? I think the finish wont peel on the back of the screen, but this video has me a bit worried.
It seems the back of the screen are metal. BTW thanks Terthen @ #27 for the link.

Have a pic of it installed? I mean a close up of the mount on the dash... I'm still experimenting with mounts and trying to find the best place to put my portable XM radio...

I did not mount it to the dash, but behind the lower left corner of the screen display. It has a metal backing like an iPad so should be safe upon removal if needed. Even if it's not, I'm not too worried as I will never see the back of it. The second photo on the Amazon review page is mine with phone mounted. I will try to take a photo of the back of the screen where it's mounted later today.

I did not mount it to the dash, but behind the lower left corner of the screen display. It has a metal backing like an iPad so should be safe upon removal if needed. Even if it's not, I'm not too worried as I will never see the back of it. The second photo on the Amazon review page is mine with phone mounted. I will try to take a photo of the back of the screen where it's mounted later today.

yeah, i was more looking to see where on the screen you had it mounted...i did see your amazon review though, looks intriguing.