Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Done PPF yourself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got only 600 miles on my car (took delivery 3 weeks ago) and 2 rock chips on the front bumper. Here in CA, rock chips are almost a guarantee, esp on the freeways. I've always leased my cars so never considered PPF. However, I am now considering buying a pre-cut 3M bumper piece and self-installing. It definitely is a challenging install but I got nowhere to be these days so might be a good project.

Can you share the name of this installer? Thx.

Auto Pro Films on Old County Road in Belmont. Owner/Operator's name is Rob.

AutoProFilms Clear Bra - Belmont, CA

I was referred to him by my friend who had his Ferrari 458 done there, and he's super anal about his cars so I trusted his referral.

btw, if you're in the East Bay and prefer to stay on that side, these guys do an awesome job too, but I'm not sure on their pricing. They could be more expensive. The work on a lot of exotics. I went once a few years ago and they had 3 Porsche GTs (the mid-engined 10 cylinder) sitting in their lot waiting to get worked on along with two Lamborghinis. I had them do some work on a Lotus for me and was very happy with their work.

Premier Protective Films International (aka Premier Mobile) clear bra, paint protection film, tint, auto tint, safety film, chip paint, kits, custom, car

Last edited:
spending over 10% of the car's cost for PPF is nuts but that's just my opinion...

I would never spend 8k on a wrap and ceramic for any of my cars. But that's me. I also wouldn't spend a dime on FSD that Elon continues to push out further and raise the price on. A (now) 8k dollar promise? Yeah, no thanks Elon, I'll pass.

I will spend $1700 when the time comes to wrap the front end of my MY because I hate rock chips, and today's car finishes chip quite easily.

Reactions: P3dStealth
spending over 10% of the car's cost for PPF is nuts but that's just my opinion...

I'm with you...when I Yelped the Fremont guys that do PPFs, they quoted me almost $10k for full PPE, paint correction, and ceramic. While I'm sure it's super nice, I can't imagine spending that much coin for all that. You can't even really "see" it. Most would argue that if you can see it, then they didn't do it right. Me, I'll spend $3k - $4k on Volks or HREs no problem. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

On that note, just received my precut 3M bumper kit for $150. vs $1300 front bumper quote from the pros. Wish me luck. Worst thing that can happen is a crappy job that you prob can't even see from 5 feet away.

Reactions: P3dStealth
If you're going to do it yourself, why not start with the hood? that's going to be the easiest since it's a large flat piece. The paint on the hood and fenders will chip. The plastic front bumper paint won't really chip, it will get dinged.

The Fremont guys are expensive, but there are good shops that do it for less too.

For wheels, it's hard to beat the QPR on the Martians. Fully forged and a good weight saving over stock wheels. I've always been a fan of Volk and HRE, but I really like the look of the Martian wheel for it's simplicity and minimalist design (but I'd buy them just for the weight saving alone).

• Informative
Reactions: 5280mcs
I've got only 600 miles on my car (took delivery 3 weeks ago) and 2 rock chips on the front bumper. Here in CA, rock chips are almost a guarantee, esp on the freeways. I've always leased my cars so never considered PPF. However, I am now considering buying a pre-cut 3M bumper piece and self-installing. It definitely is a challenging install but I got nowhere to be these days so might be a good project.

I'm sure everyone views this differently, but that's how I ended up doing mine. I like the challenge and satisfaction of a project and I had the time due to COVID. Saving $$$$ on a fairly decent PPF job was just a bonus. If you feel confident, I say go for it.

My bumper kit came out pretty good. Nobody even notices it I have to tell them it's there. It did take me a long time though and I regret starting with the bumper because I learned a lot on like the hardest part of the car.

Just so you know the whole bumper prepainted and installed is about $1000 on the model 3. I don't know what it is for a Y though but it's likely similar. I am willing to bet the hood isn't much money either. Painting the car is also cheaper than 10k. And what happens if you get in an accident? You damage your car and the PPF is a loss.

I do not see how exorbitant amounts for installation can be justified. In 15 years the PPF install might be worth more than your car. These shops charge this much because you pay it. Is there a price and purpose for this yes. But it's not 8k+

I'm sure everyone views this differently, but that's how I ended up doing mine. I like the challenge and satisfaction of a project and I had the time due to COVID. Saving $$$$ on a fairly decent PPF job was just a bonus. If you feel confident, I say go for it.

Yep. I enjoy the challenge as well. My car is at the Service Center getting some paint correction and other fit/finish stuff done. Once I get it back (hopefully by friday), I'll paint my calipers this weekend. If that goes well - I'll buy some PPF for the hood and front bumper. Love the challenge and satisfaction of a DIY.

My bumper kit came out pretty good. Nobody even notices it I have to tell them it's there. It did take me a long time though and I regret starting with the bumper because I learned a lot on like the hardest part of the car.

Just so you know the whole bumper prepainted and installed is about $1000 on the model 3. I don't know what it is for a Y though but it's likely similar. I am willing to bet the hood isn't much money either. Painting the car is also cheaper than 10k. And what happens if you get in an accident? You damage your car and the PPF is a loss.

I do not see how exorbitant amounts for installation can be justified. In 15 years the PPF install might be worth more than your car. These shops charge this much because you pay it. Is there a price and purpose for this yes. But it's not 8k+
Hood and fender went on with ease. The bumper was a nightmare. I had to stretch the crap out of it to line up. By then, the adhesive was compromised due to repeated apply/removal.

I threw in the towel after that.
20200508_195214.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: raggedy
Hood and fender went on with ease. The bumper was a nightmare. I had to stretch the crap out of it to line up. By then, the adhesive was compromised due to repeated apply/removal.

I threw in the towel after that.View attachment 567881
I found one of the trick is to constantly lift and respray the side I’m not working on since I’m no pro and don’t work as fast as they do.

I found one of the trick is to constantly lift and respray the side I’m not working on since I’m no pro and don’t work as fast as they do.

Yep that's the big secret. You have to keep lifting and soak it with slip solution. (Baby shampoo and water mixture). Don't be afraid to lift it back off and spray even after it seems to stick. It needs to slide so you can stretch it and don't just stretch it from the edge. Keep your hands wet when you reach under to lift. When you stretch it really helps to have a rag and dry the top so you get some grip. You should be able to place your hand flat on the film and just with pressure pull it.

I threw in the towel after that.View attachment 567881

It looks like you started from the side. You have to start from the middle. There are actually instructions to it. You tack down the middle by each headlight then the tow hook circle then the middle parking sensors.

Even if you pay for the bumper and do your hood and fenders you saved a ton of money anyway.

Auto Pro Films on Old County Road in Belmont. Owner/Operator's name is Rob.

AutoProFilms Clear Bra - Belmont, CA

I was referred to him by my friend who had his Ferrari 458 done there, and he's super anal about his cars so I trusted his referral.

btw, if you're in the East Bay and prefer to stay on that side, these guys do an awesome job too, but I'm not sure on their pricing. They could be more expensive. The work on a lot of exotics. I went once a few years ago and they had 3 Porsche GTs (the mid-engined 10 cylinder) sitting in their lot waiting to get worked on along with two Lamborghinis. I had them do some work on a Lotus for me and was very happy with their work.

Premier Protective Films International (aka Premier Mobile) clear bra, paint protection film, tint, auto tint, safety film, chip paint, kits, custom, car

Thanks! - Coming from San Mateo I'll check out AutoProFilms