Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Done PPF yourself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious what people think about installers that use pre-cut and not wrap around edges. This leaves a lot of visible edges of the film but it is also a lot cheaper to install (less labor). I was quoted $4500 for xpel stealth and is very reputable, but definitely uses the pre-cut pieces which means a lot more seams and edges. For full custom and wrapping corners, it would be $7k from other shops.

I spent $5k on a shop and they used pre cut pieces. Worst decision of my life. My other shop that did seamless charged $5.5k for the y. A $500 premium for a seamless and custom cut xpel wrap would have been a total yes. I regret going with the cheaper place. Also, since the shop didn't do the trunk in one piece, I have dirt accumulating after one day. The wrap also has a lot of weirdly cut areas and are super off.

I asked for a $2k refund.
IMG_20200802_161508.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NXY2LPF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought a pack of these syringes to pop bubbles that wouldn't go away and to suck out trapped water. Works really well but too bad they come in such large packs. I got a shitload of syringes in my garage now.

I will try the syringes.

I am not crazy about perfection. I spent $367 vs like $2400 to do my front end. I could do it again every year for 6 years and still be cheaper than they wanted.

I did the bumper, full hood, headlights, mirrors, fenders.

My mirrors came out horrible lol. I am going to buy carbon covers for them anyway.

Reactions: borijess3
I will try the syringes.

I am not crazy about perfection. I spent $367 vs like $2400 to do my front end. I could do it again every year for 6 years and still be cheaper than they wanted.

I did the bumper, full hood, headlights, mirrors, fenders.

My mirrors came out horrible lol. I am going to buy carbon covers for them anyway.

$367 includes full hood? my $300 kit was partial hood. Where did you get yours?

I did a DIY on my Model 3 for the front end and ended up doing it for the whole car. If you are some what handy it can be done, and like everyone said the bumper is the most challenging.

I ordered from a vendor on eBay and asked them to cut the "pre-cut" film longer by 1cm around certain areas so I can wrap the edges and they did this with no issues. So my hood, fenders, doors, etc. are all wrapped on the edges but there are also spots where I did not elect to wrap (like around the fender cameras, under the chrome trim, etc.). For a beginner, precut is the way to go and the only seam I have is one part on the lower front bumper.

It was challenging but super fun for me to work on my own car. I ended up ceramic coating the PPF including the edges. I could have installed a second set of PPF in half the time based on what I learned. I actually look forward to this again when I pickup a Model Y.

Reactions: borijess3
I did a DIY on my Model 3 for the front end and ended up doing it for the whole car. If you are some what handy it can be done, and like everyone said the bumper is the most challenging.

I ordered from a vendor on eBay and asked them to cut the "pre-cut" film longer by 1cm around certain areas so I can wrap the edges and they did this with no issues. So my hood, fenders, doors, etc. are all wrapped on the edges but there are also spots where I did not elect to wrap (like around the fender cameras, under the chrome trim, etc.). For a beginner, precut is the way to go and the only seam I have is one part on the lower front bumper.

It was challenging but super fun for me to work on my own car. I ended up ceramic coating the PPF including the edges. I could have installed a second set of PPF in half the time based on what I learned. I actually look forward to this again when I pickup a Model Y.

Yea you learn a lot working with it after you make some mistakes. Kinda makes me want to do it again but it's too hot in my garage now.

eyyyy, for $300 it was a good DIY and I’m happy with the result. It will serve its purpose well in saving that blunt nose from rocks and bugs.
I've watched a few videos as well. One thing that they don't seem to understand is the general rule is to start in the middle, make a cross to the sides (if it's the hood than when you've made your cross, you look like the Knights Templar not Malcolm.) Then you work towards each corner - it pushes all the wrinkles to the corners and they disappear. This is standard procedure for stretching a canvas or re-screening a screen door. But! I've never seen anyone intentionally do this while repairing a screen. If you want to DIY PPF add to your list of videos How to stretch a canvas (blank canvas before the masterpiece not after - though I've seen old masters re-stretched in the method.).
In some of the PPF videos I think they go over sections because they didn't understand this.... but caveat- I ain't done it (PPF) yet.
It does look like a challenge that will start out frustrating, but by the time you're done you're a pro. One tip in the videos of the pros. Wet wet wet. They seem to always be spraying and respraying the back side of the film.