Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No PPF updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After having PPF on my Y I’m actually considering not getting it done on my X. I see dirt marks and my PPF has chips that make it look like chips in the paint. Anyone go rogue and not get PPF at all? How’s it holding up?

I didn’t get anything in my 2016 MS, after almost 8 years, the hood has some small chips and marks on the paint if you look closely. some of it may be able to be cleaned up, not sure. I would probably need to get professionally detailed to know for sure. I’ve tried clay bar and some compound d and polish, but it’s still there. Now that I’m looking to upgrade to new X or Y, I’m looking into PPF or ceramic coating, but still on the fence on it. Would the cost of installing PPF on my MS be justified with a higher resale value, i don’t think so.

I recently put on the PPF on my 2023 model X by myself (see the top photo) . I bought the pre-cut kit from Drive Protected for $2200 (after 20% discount and the shipping was free). Drive Protected also offers a 10 yr waranty (against things like yellowing of the film) on their films like most other brand name films (such as Suntek and Xpel). It took me 5 days (6-8 hours per day) to complete. After that, I exposed the car to sun light for 3-4 days to allow the moisture in the bubbles to evaporate quicker. Most of the air bubbles (I circled them in white on the second photo) disappeared after a couple of days. Now the car looks really nice and glossy. Because I am an amateur, there are some dirt particles that got trapped between the film and the paint (I circled them in blue on the second photo) but they are NOT noticeable when viewed 3-4 feet away. I am very happy with the overall result.
20231105_215822.jpg
20231104_210501.jpg

5 years ago, I paid a professional installer $6000 to wrap my 2018 model S with Suntek film. I had to pay another $800 to re-wrapp the front bumper because my son hit wall and created a big dent on it. I used the hair dryer to pop out the dent on the bumper. The paint underneath the film was still in pristine condition. I strongly recommend wrapping the Tesla cars because Tesla's paint quality is not as good as other cars. I have a black BMW X7 and I don't wrap it. After 5 years, the Suntek film still looks shinny on this model S (see photo below).
20231105_213106.jpg

Last edited:
I know it's off-topic, but the tennis ball marker is brilliant 🧠.

I wonder if there's ppf that looks like there isn't ppf. The only way I can justify time and $ doing this is the front bumper where 90% of chips occur. But then I would not like it to look different from the rest of the paint (all this gloss). I would also miss the feel of metal to the touch with these wraps.