Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't buy an X in a snowy climate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, X and S owner for the last year. Love the cars themselves, but sad to report that I can't recommend and X for anyone who sees snow in their area.

The problem I've run into is a convoluted one as one thing affects the next, but here goes.

The initial issue is that overriding the door open and close is somewhat limited. It will let you to some extent force it with the dash, but it's not uncommon for the car to outright refuse to open doors. This on its own sucks but...

When there is ice on the sensors on the roof (where you can't really scrape properly), that is one of the situations where the car will outright refuse to open the doors.

The next issue is that if you heat the cabin the ducting apparently passes too close to the MCU, and overheat protection does not function.

Come January, we had several days of freezing rain. Even if I removed it, the temperature cycling from bringing kids to the daycare was enough to refreeze the sensors, standing us. So I heated up the car enough to melt everything properly.

Come the next problem, the MCU was damaged by the heat of the defrost system. This could be seen by the screen being all striped and purple and the reverse camera not working when the car was under - 10c (very normal here).

The next issue arrived in summer. Without proper control of what is considered overheating, and the default being at 40c, when the car gets above 30c (which is nor rare from sitting in the sun), the autopilot system goes astray and messes up the breaks. So poor software override capabilities and treating their user like a child who can't force the car to open the door when appropriate leads to malfunctioning breaks. I can confirm this is the issue because using the ac to cool the car is an actual remedy to the situation. See the image below.

IMG_20230909_114053860.jpg

This is what happens when you try to make everything conform to a single view of how a product should be used.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: cwerdna and bhzmark
Gosh, my Model X works great in Lake Tahoe during the winter in very heavy snow. The difference may well be that our temperatures warm up significantly during the day and it rarely stays cold for prolonged periods of time.

Gosh, my Model X works great in Lake Tahoe during the winter in very heavy snow. The difference may well be that our temperatures warm up significantly during the day and it rarely stays cold for prolonged periods of time.
Snow is okay because you can wipe it off, I think it's something about the density of ice that messed with the sensors. I guess I assumed snowy area means you might get freezing rain now and again. But if the sun melts everything off, you are golden and it's an amazing car.

• Informative
Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
My two M3Ps have been great in the snow here in Montana. I do lose some range at -15-20 degrees Fahrenheit.......not a model X but never heard those folks here complain. Mine are very good snow vehicles...........
Ours have been great over the years too but we're talking Model S & Y. The issues the OP is citing are specific to the X so I'd say our good luck in cold climates doesn't apply. I'm interested if others experience the same thing because I envisioned us replacing this Y with an X someday so this interests me.

Reactions: PACEMD
Our X has been great 8n the Winter!! I highly recommend it for snow and slippery roads. Other then snow getting in the car caused by me not cleaning the room its been great. Had two snow/ice events last year, short preheat.....no issue.

My experience in no way contradicts your reality, but I can say I highly recommend the vehicle for Winter!!

I have had the model S for over three years in New England weather. The MS has no issue going around in NE weather. But when it comes to rain and snow, all these wonderful sensors, camera, etc do not work well regardless of weather on my Model S. It's one of those thing that I believe FSD will never work in NE weather. I now have 2023 MXP. It will be interesting to see how the MX do this winter. I have no doubt when it comes to going around in the snow with MX. However, it has hardware 4 with all cameras only.... I am pretty sure many auto somethings will be unavailable as it happened with my MS. Any kind of sensors are not doing very well with obstacles. I'll see how my MXP do in the next few months :p BTW: my wife Mercedes GLE AMG has sensors issue as well when it comes to rain and snow. I don't think, it is just Tesla thing.

Reactions: brainhouston
Ours have been great over the years too but we're talking Model S & Y. The issues the OP is citing are specific to the X so I'd say our good luck in cold climates doesn't apply. I'm interested if others experience the same thing because I envisioned us replacing this Y with an X someday so this interests me.
You are correct. My S has no issues. It really is the door sensor on the x combined with restrictive coding that caused the cascade of failures.

Reactions: cwerdna
Hey everyone, X and S owner for the last year. Love the cars themselves, but sad to report that I can't recommend and X for anyone who sees snow in their area.

The problem I've run into is a convoluted one as one thing affects the next, but here goes.

The initial issue is that overriding the door open and close is somewhat limited. It will let you to some extent force it with the dash, but it's not uncommon for the car to outright refuse to open doors. This on its own sucks but...

When there is ice on the sensors on the roof (where you can't really scrape properly), that is one of the situations where the car will outright refuse to open the doors.

The next issue is that if you heat the cabin the ducting apparently passes too close to the MCU, and overheat protection does not function.

Come January, we had several days of freezing rain. Even if I removed it, the temperature cycling from bringing kids to the daycare was enough to refreeze the sensors, standing us. So I heated up the car enough to melt everything properly.

Come the next problem, the MCU was damaged by the heat of the defrost system. This could be seen by the screen being all striped and purple and the reverse camera not working when the car was under - 10c (very normal here).

I've only seen -10C a few times in my car during the winter at Tahoe but have not had any of the issues you have. That being said, I think it's hard to compare a California winter to Ottawa lol Were you not able to force open the wings? I've always been able to open the doors.

PXL_20230302_194732634.jpg

The next issue arrived in summer. Without proper control of what is considered overheating, and the default being at 40c, when the car gets above 30c (which is nor rare from sitting in the sun), the autopilot system goes astray and messes up the breaks. So poor software override capabilities and treating their user like a child who can't force the car to open the door when appropriate leads to malfunctioning breaks. I can confirm this is the issue because using the ac to cool the car is an actual remedy to the situation. See the image below.

View attachment 972348

This is what happens when you try to make everything conform to a single view of how a product should be used.

Something else is going on with your car. I've routinely left my car in 40-45C ambient weather without overheat protection on. Who knows what the inside temp was.
7a10b63f67b04a27d16f7eadc71fdb69.png

Reactions: android04
You are correct. My S has no issues. It really is the door sensor on the x combined with restrictive coding
I've only seen -10C a few times in my car during the winter at Tahoe but have not had any of the issues you have. That being said, I think it's hard to compare a California winter to Ottawa lol Were you not able to force open the wings? I've always been able to open the doors.

View attachment 972414

Something else is going on with your car. I've routinely left my car in 40-45C ambient weather without overheat protection on. Who knows what the inside temp was.View attachment 972413
The heat is only an issue because the mcu is already damaged, and from the type of issue I'm having its likely an IC chip with broken solder joints.. Kinda like laptops used to have on discrete GPU not to infrequently some 15 years ago.

That's the most annoying part is that it won't let me force it open under some circumstances and ice on the roof is one of them (even a very thin crust I can brush off). This is all a string of cascading problems due to a tiny choice on when to allow users to override the sensors. Not the only thing that shows that the car was developed in California for California weather, but certainly the most aggravating one. Some others are funny (like if you open the trunk with the doors open and kids strapped into their car seats, you get a hilarious shitstorm).

Also I wish I could edit the title. Snowy was the wrong word, I should have specified places where there are lots of ice storms. We have freezing rain on the regular here. And even when we don't the occasional hot days with stupid cold nights mean that we get ice crusts all the time.

Didn't have issues with snow besides occasional Park assist unavailable due to stuck snow in the front

Only drove thru freezing rain once n couldn't keep the windshield clear so defrost feature/heater/fan def not enough, at least on 2016
I hear this was fixed on later models with better windshield vents...

I think, the original poster seems to agree that the MX is not having issue with snow. It is more of the sensors around the car when covered by ice. Again, I am totally agreed with that. But, it is not just Tesla. Every car with sensors have the same issue. It is because Tesla is heavily uses/depends on sensors. Therefore, the issue seems more pronounce than other car brand. To me, as long as you understand the limitation of the current technology. It is then less of the issue and work with limitation instead.

I think, the original poster seems to agree that the MX is not having issue with snow. It is more of the sensors around the car when covered by ice. Again, I am totally agreed with that. But, it is not just Tesla. Every car with sensors have the same issue. It is because Tesla is heavily uses/depends on sensors. Therefore, the issue seems more pronounce than other car brand. To me, as long as you understand the limitation of the current technology. It is then less of the issue and work with limitation instead.

This should be a non issue with the new refresh cars since they're removing all the sensors 😂

• Funny
Reactions: brainhouston