Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door alignment slightly off?

ilikemypizza

Mar 14, 2021
Buffalo, New York
I just received my new M3 LR. Car is amazing and for the most part, no major issues or panel gaps.

One thing I just noticed is the driver side doors are slightly offset. It's hard to notice, but now that I have, it's driving me mad. I've tried adjusting the door plate but I think the issue is on the passenger door hinge. The door seems like it needs to come out about 1/8 of an inch to be flush like the other side. The picture doesn't do justice, but the entire door seems further sunk in on the hinge side.

Does anyone know how to adjust the hinge? Is this something I should have the service center fix? I feel like it's going to be "within spec", but before I monkey with it myself, I just wanted to see if anyone else has had similar issue.

Attached is a picture where you can see the slight offset..

Attachments

• PXL_20210404_020634597.jpg
    PXL_20210404_020634597.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 34

Perscitus

Jan 29, 2019
New York
The stikers and door hinges are often a tad off on these things. Its a fine art to adjust properly and a. not cause more damage b. not cause rubbing somewhere else.

SCs/MS will be only somewhat competent to attempt to correct, but at least you can offload the responsibility for them to have to handle and deal with any consequences of a mess up.

Tesla Certified Body shops would be ideal since they deal with removing and reinstalling doors on Tesla's all the time.

JohnnyEV

Feb 16, 2021
Bay Area, CA
I'd let that go man.

Tim
You have no idea how true your statement is ringing right now lol. Just picked up my Wife's Y from a service appointment for some touch up paint to the hinges and one bolt that wasn't screwed all the way in. Dropped it off at 10am picked up at 5pm and they hadn't got to it yet...explained the 2hr ride there and the 2hr ride home due to it being located in the commute corridor....they then at least fixed the bolt. Thinking of just touching up the few spots myself, it's cheaper time spent wise than taking it back.

ilikemypizza

Mar 14, 2021
Buffalo, New York
You have no idea how true your statement is ringing right now lol. Just picked up my Wife's Y from a service appointment for some touch up paint to the hinges and one bolt that wasn't screwed all the way in. Dropped it off at 10am picked up at 5pm and they hadn't got to it yet...explained the 2hr ride there and the 2hr ride home due to it being located in the commute corridor....they then at least fixed the bolt. Thinking of just touching up the few spots myself, it's cheaper time spent wise than taking it

You have no idea how true your statement is ringing right now lol. Just picked up my Wife's Y from a service appointment for some touch up paint to the hinges and one bolt that wasn't screwed all the way in. Dropped it off at 10am picked up at 5pm and they hadn't got to it yet...explained the 2hr ride there and the 2hr ride home due to it being located in the commute corridor....they then at least fixed the bolt. Thinking of just touching up the few spots myself, it's cheaper time spent wise than taking it back.
Oh boy lol. I'm about an hour and 15 minutes from mine. I am hoping it doesn't turn into an all day event.

I've heard about the Tesla certified body shops.. is there a way I can search and find one? (I'll head to Google now).
I'd let that go man.

Tim
I am trying, but when you spend 50k on a car, I would at least aspect it to be properly aligned somewhat

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC