Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle continuously running

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know one of the number one fails is the door handles. I’ve had one replaced already. This morning at 6am my husband goes to leave for work and gets in the car and can hear the mechanism running. (Alllll the way to work. 40 minutes away) he assumed the door didn’t fully latch. He arrives at work and the driver rear handle won’t present. And the mechanism is running. 13 hours later it’s still running. I made an appointment right away with mobile for Tuesday of next week. They messaged me and said it shouldn’t eat away the 12V but I’m a little concerned. (The car is plugged in)

has anyone else had a handle go down with the same thing happen? My last one it would run for about 20 seconds but not like this. With the pandemic we don’t drive as much as normal so if I need to do something proactively so that it’s not stuck here I will.

Mine only extended and retracted 4 times exactly (even while backing up) (and would extend and retract but would not be able to be opened while it did this).

It never ran continuously. It was an issue with the cable and the controller unit. They had to remove the door panel inside to access it and it mostly works now (that was the third fix). I only have to occasionally push in very hard to get the door to unlatch.

Not sure what advice I can give you other than the door handle motors for newer cars (v3 handles) are rated to handle a lot more abuse than the ones for older cars.

• Love
Reactions: JohnnyMarshal
Mine only extended and retracted 4 times exactly (even while backing up) (and would extend and retract but would not be able to be opened while it did this).

It never ran continuously. It was an issue with the cable and the controller unit. They had to remove the door panel inside to access it and it mostly works now (that was the third fix). I only have to occasionally push in very hard to get the door to unlatch.

Not sure what advice I can give you other than the door handle motors for newer cars (v3 handles) are rated to handle a lot more abuse than the ones for older cars.
they put in a v3 and it makes noise to. I think it was a matter of calibration when he replaced it.

Last edited:
For anyone that had a handle failure, what was the longest timeframe you had between failure and repair? We are at 8 days, and it has gone from "steady but barely perceptible noise" to "cyclical and loud", which I don't remember experiencing on the first three failures. We are still five days out from our appt (which has already been delayed twice)...

For anyone that had a handle failure, what was the longest timeframe you had between failure and repair? We are at 8 days, and it has gone from "steady but barely perceptible noise" to "cyclical and loud", which I don't remember experiencing on the first three failures. We are still five days out from our appt (which has already been delayed twice)...
Months, sadly.

Months, sadly.
Months? Why??

mine got louder and louder until it was replaced. About a week. I could open my garage door and hear the thing whirring away.

I did ask the tech and he said that they replace the full thing now so it doesn’t really matter how long it runs. And as long as the HV has juice to keep the 12v charged it could go until the mechanism finally burns out.

Months? Why??

mine got louder and louder until it was replaced. About a week. I could open my garage door and hear the thing whirring away.

I did ask the tech and he said that they replace the full thing now so it doesn’t really matter how long it runs. And as long as the HV has juice to keep the 12v charged it could go until the mechanism finally burns out.

Because Tesla "Customer Service" support is the worst.

You must not be following my posts much. :p

FWIW, a Ranger Tech I know and trust stated that they're designed to move a surprisingly heavy metal door handle (relative to the size of the motor used) and just spinning freely w/o any resistance really puts little to no stress on the motors. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

• Informative
Reactions: PV EV in VT
Because Tesla "Customer Service" support is the worst.

You must not be following my posts much. :p

FWIW, a Ranger Tech I know and trust stated that they're designed to move a surprisingly heavy metal door handle (relative to the size of the motor used) and just spinning freely w/o any resistance really puts little to no stress on the motors. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

i do. I’m just shocked. Pre covid the longest I had to wait for a door handle was two weeks (and that was during year end rush trying to get deliveries out) FWIW I’m sorry you’ve had poor customer service from your service center.

I have multiple issues, some of the which is required at a SC, and I foolishly said at the start "just schedule them all together instead of waiting for spread out appointments," which has led to multiple delays: once after adding the failed handle to an existing appt, it was pushed back 48 hrs to meet the standard "no sooner than one week from today to allow for parts delivery", and then pushed back another week at the 48 hr until appt check, claiming the part was still not available.

On the bright side, the motor does NOT run when handles would normally be retracted; only when handles would normally be presented.

i do. I’m just shocked. Pre covid the longest I had to wait for a door handle was two weeks (and that was during year end rush trying to get deliveries out) FWIW I’m sorry you’ve had poor customer service from your service center.
Thanks. I really wish this aspect of ownership wasn't a nightmare because I love the cars which has brought me around to loving the mission as well. I'm a true car enthusiast first & never considered myself an environmental warrior at all. I'm exactly the person would like to convert to a Tesla owner. They did through highly complex car & technology engineering the likes of which we've never seen but have all but lost me on something as basic as customer service. We now have three service centers in the Denver area that service a several-state-region & they're all terrible. They're alienating an entire region of paying customers at a critical time time for their fledgling company. At this point, as much as I hate to admit it, I'm biding my time until EVs from other manufacturers become more competitive.

Mine has been running for months. Bought a replacement gear but haven’t gotten around to fixing it. It’s a rear door, so little motivation. Handle still opens the door, just doesn’t extend. Ended up putting a zip tie around the handle so I can open the door if needed.

Thanks. I really wish this aspect of ownership wasn't a nightmare because I love the cars which has brought me around to loving the mission as well. I'm a true car enthusiast first & never considered myself an environmental warrior at all. I'm exactly the person would like to convert to a Tesla owner. They did through highly complex car & technology engineering the likes of which we've never seen but have all but lost me on something as basic as customer service. We now have three service centers in the Denver area that service a several-state-region & they're all terrible. They're alienating an entire region of paying customers at a critical time time for their fledgling company. At this point, as much as I hate to admit it, I'm biding my time until EVs from other manufacturers become more competitive.

that’s completely awful! My first Tesla was in 2013 when customer service was better than anything I’ve ever found. I had my p85 for 3 years and stepped away from the company for a few years. Came back last year. That same service center that was amazing. It still is! (Thankfully) that being said they opened a new center that’s 1 like closer to my house and it’s awful. I felt like I was arguing with myself to get something done. In the end I took the car to my old service center and I had zero issues.

I agree with you in that if the centers don’t step it up tesla will lose customers. The thing that gets me is that every center is Tesla. None of them are independently owned like most dealers so I don’t get why the huge swing in his things are handled. (My guess is that it’s like the founder movie if you’ve seen it)