Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

door handles in cold climates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This! Living in Scandinavia all my life, clearing ice from cars (along with the constant darkness) has always been some of my least favorite things.

Using preheat really is a Godsend for us living in this kind of climates.

Yes, it is going to eat some range, but unless you can barely make it home, it is well worth it. No scraping windows, no stuck doors, the envious looks from coworkers as you jump into your car and drive away!

I don’t think the door handles will be an issue, but as previously mentioned, the windows can be a bit stuck if you don’t preheat. At least in the Model S.

do the door handles defrost? I know model s door handles can break through ice.

Just leave one of the rear seats folded down and enter through the trunk. ;)

Seriously tho... I would expect the handles to be sufficiently strong to pull on. I'd be more worried about the frameless windows.

And chipping away any ice that is covering the handles may be annoying.

I share both concerns. My Model S has been a problem in winter, even here in Mass. where the winters are relatively mild compared to Canada. I learned it is smart to disable the automatic door handle presentation to avid having the handles trying to open before the ice is removed. But also, the doggone frameless windows are a pain, too. They can get stuck and fail to reseat properly. Personally I think the frameless windows are one of the worst design features of the cars and I really wish they would have avoided them on the Model 3.

I share both concerns. My Model S has been a problem in winter, even here in Mass. where the winters are relatively mild compared to Canada. I learned it is smart to disable the automatic door handle presentation to avid having the handles trying to open before the ice is removed. But also, the doggone frameless windows are a pain, too. They can get stuck and fail to reseat properly. Personally I think the frameless windows are one of the worst design features of the cars and I really wish they would have avoided them on the Model 3.
The S handles can definitely bust through ice so I wouldn't be concerned about that all. There are couple videos out there, but this is one I found doing quick search:
Video: Tesla Model S Breaks Ice | Inside EVs

Reactions: mattobadia
do the door handles defrost? I know model s door handles can break through ice.

Not as such, but I never had them completely covered in ice, so I really can’t tell. But I never had any problems with them in winter, only the windows. And that have only been when I forgot to preheat.

Oh, and the ultra sonic sensors don’t like to be covered either.

Reactions: mattobadia