Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

door handles in cold climates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it looks like this then I think you may.

frozencar.jpg

My only concern would be how sturdy they are. If the door seals are frozen then you may have to wrench pretty hard on them. They are definitely a lot thinner than my current handles, but that doesn't mean they aren't just as strong.

Just leave one of the rear seats folded down and enter through the trunk. ;)

Seriously tho... I would expect the handles to be sufficiently strong to pull on. I'd be more worried about the frameless windows.

And chipping away any ice that is covering the handles may be annoying.

My understanding is that one of the major advantages of a Tesla in such conditions is that if you preheat the car it will loosen the ice. Otherwise the 3 doesn't seem that much different than a normal car and definitely superior to either the S or the X in this regard.

Screw the door handles. I want to know if the windshield will stay clear of frost when it's -35 degrees. That vent looks like it's designed to keep the passengers cool in California, not the windows clear of frost in the depths of a Canadian winter.

Reactions: Ocelot
Screw the door handles. I want to know if the windshield will stay clear of frost when it's -35 degrees. That vent looks like it's designed to keep the passengers cool in California, not the windows clear of frost in the depths of a Canadian winter.
There is still a defroster vent at the base of the windshield just like the S and X. That vent has nothing to do with defrosting the windshield.

Reactions: mattobadia
_________PREHEAT_________

This! Living in Scandinavia all my life, clearing ice from cars (along with the constant darkness) has always been some of my least favorite things.

Using preheat really is a Godsend for us living in this kind of climates.

Yes, it is going to eat some range, but unless you can barely make it home, it is well worth it. No scraping windows, no stuck doors, the envious looks from coworkers as you jump into your car and drive away!

I don’t think the door handles will be an issue, but as previously mentioned, the windows can be a bit stuck if you don’t preheat. At least in the Model S.