Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door opened in parking lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I came back from lunch today, just me and another guy, both sitting in the front seats, individually of course. About 30 min later, I hear a horn honking. I look on my cameras that show the back fenced in lot where I park my 2016 S90D refreshed, and the lights are lighting up in sync with the horn honking. I went out to check what was going on and as I got close the mirrors opened and the door handles popped open. But the alarm had stopped. Weird I thought. I pushed the "roof" button on the fob to lock it up and go back in and it wouldn't lock. Just flashed the tail lights several times. Tried a couple times and got the same result. I walked to the drivers side of the car and the back door was ajar. Even weirder. Can't figure it out. Its a private lot. No one can get in or out with out us knowing and letting them in. Started thinking more. I was squatting down putting stuff away when the alarm sounded. Is there a way to push any configuration of buttons on the fob to open doors or anything like that? Can't figure this out. Oh, then 15 min later, I got a notification on my phone that my alarm went off. Thanks, 15 min later.

When you open that door normally, does the handle travel a decent amount of distance before the door pops, or does it pop with very little travel? If its very little travel, the microswitches might be misadjusted. One of my rear doors actually requires a little harder pull than all the other doors, but doesn't really bother me.

That is weird... Regardless of misaligned door handles and/or micro-switches (seen both), the door should not have opened while the car was locked, and the door popping open shouldn't have triggered the alarm if it was opened while unlocked (assuming an accidental fob press).

That is weird... Regardless of misaligned door handles and/or micro-switches (seen both), the door should not have opened while the car was locked, and the door popping open shouldn't have triggered the alarm if it was opened while unlocked (assuming an accidental fob press).

Maybe something misadjusted on the internal handle? That would probably open the door if locked and set off alarm.

Agreed. I am assuming it was something with the fob pressing, but it would have to been locked for the alarm to go off like it did. No one was near it and i know it wasnt opened when i pulled in or it would have been beeping at me when i drove in. kinda puzzled.

Maybe something misadjusted on the internal handle? That would probably open the door if locked and set off alarm.
The internal handles on the back doors are not mechanically connected (unlike the front doors), so once locked, the system would not activate the mechanism to open the door.

The only scenario I can come up with is that maybe the latch for that door wasn't completely engaged. It was holding the door in tight, so the car would register the door as closed, but not completely latched. Via time and vibration, the partially engaged latch slid open and allowed the door to become ajar. Seems far fetched, but closest thing I can think of in the moment.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
The internal handles on the back doors are not mechanically connected (unlike the front doors), so once locked, the system would not activate the mechanism to open the door.

The only scenario I can come up with is that maybe the latch for that door wasn't completely engaged. It was holding the door in tight, so the car would register the door as closed, but not completely latched. Via time and vibration, the partially engaged latch slid open and allowed the door to become ajar. Seems far fetched, but closest thing I can think of in the moment.

I just verified this on my car. With the alarm set, pulling the inside rear door handle opens the door and sets off the alarm.