Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgrade SR+ and get $2000 back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nah...it’s like all the others that want to take advantage of a company that allows it, by giving people things that they didn’t pay for, yet feel entitled to.

If you wanted an SR you would have bought one. No, you want an SR because you think you will get an SR+ for the price of an SR.

Well, let me provide my 2 cents to explain why I respectfully disagree with your comment aboveand I think people should stop complaining about the owner of SR+ that want to downgrade:
1) People ordered SR+ because they found the difference between SR and SR+ justified the difference in price.
2) People ordered SR+ because they needed a car and not sure if the SR would have been delivered in the needed timeframe (6/8 weeks was the forecasted dates, but without having ever see a SR manufactured not sure if we would have ever been given one in 2 months or in 6 months)
3) Most important: The company said that SR+ people were allowed to downgrade. This was not made up by the owner of the SR+. It was stated by the company.

Point 3) I think is the most important one
If a company is telling me (not me asking them, it's they proposing me without me asking for it) that I can downgrade and get the money back how am I supposed to "take advantage of a company that allows it". If the company said: "Sorry guys, we cannot make the SR so we're giving to those that ordered an SR an SR+ with some limitations and we're closing the ordering of the SR". I would be with you that we're trying take advantage, but the proposal to downgrade didn't come from the customer, it came from the vendor! And BTW the vendor is not closing the orders, now you really can take a good decision
I love my car, but I would be happy to downgrade since I'm given the possibility and the difference doesn't justify 2500 dollar more (Yes I bought it at the 500USD more and I didn't complained that the car 3 weeks before cost less, was just bad timing and I accept it)
In order not to lose money the company could have even said: "for those that ordered an SR+ they can downgrade to SR and add Autopilot and will be a wash" what about that. Nobody will lose money, it's a win win. But they didn't say that, the company said you can downgrade.

So for instance in my case I was in the 7 day return window, called Tesla and asked about the downgrade. I was told "yes you can do it we don't know yet how". I could have given the car back (within the 7 days) got all my money back and ordered an SR. But I didn't do it because it would have been a lose/lose situation: Tesla would have had a used car to sell losing a little bit of money, I would have been without a car for some time. So since they told me that I can downgrade I decided to keep my car.

Take advantage of the company means you're working in a very gray area. This is not a gray area, I think it's very clear.

no, SR+ owners got what they paid for but now see someone else getting something and now want what they got.

Let’s not act like this is some noble movement
Please see my post above and anyhow:
Yes: SR+ owners got what they paid for
No: but now see someone else getting something and now want what they got.

SR+ owner would like to have what they've been promised by the company: being able to downgrade.
SR+ Owner are not seeing someone else getting something and now want what they got
SR+ Owner want what they were offered in writing by the company in the company website: be able to downgrade.

I don't think anybody was talking about a "noble movement" but about money and about the fact that if you promised something you should keep to your word, otherwise you're just a liar...

The SR will lose their extra features when everyone gets their $2000 downgrade credit. Then you may purchase the upgrades you gave up and everyone will be happy! :)

I actually question if SR owners will lose their free SR+ features.

I don’t know if Tesla wants to deal with
1.) Supporting another code base of “SR only”
2.) Complaints they “lost” features.

I realize 2 is twisted but I’m stating how things are, not what they ought to be.

Due to SR being off menu and removed from the view of the general public, I think Tesla will just make it all go away and SR never would have existed.

You have SR+ owners who got in at SR pricing.

That’s my prediction.

Imagine paying extra for seats at a concert, pretty common thing. Now imagine that the people coming and sitting around you are all general admission. You were told you would have better seats than them, but that clearly isn't the case. You are still in a decent section, but so are they. It's not a matter of getting what you paid for, it's a matter of being misled to a (nearly) identical product.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
Imagine paying extra for seats at a concert, pretty common thing. Now imagine that the people coming and sitting around you are all general admission. You were told you would have better seats than them, but that clearly isn't the case. You are still in a decent section, but so are they. It's not a matter of getting what you paid for, it's a matter of being misled to a (nearly) identical product.

No offense, but I think the analogy is not complete.
I would say:
Imagine paying extra for seats at a concert, pretty common thing. Now imagine that the people coming and sitting around you are all general admission. Now imagine that the organization realize they misled the customer and comes to the mic and says: "to all that paid extra for seats, please stop by and you'll be given the difference back". It's not a matter of getting what you paid for, it's a matter of getting what you were publicly told you would get.

BTW I even agree about being misled, but I think that Tesla realized they misled the consumers so that's why they posted the sentence: " Similarly, anyone who has already bought Standard Plus and wants to convert to Standard is welcome to do so, and we will provide a refund for the difference in cost."

I realize 2 is twisted but I’m stating how things are, not what they ought to be.

Due to SR being off menu and removed from the view of the general public, I think Tesla will just make it all go away and SR never would have existed.

That’s my prediction.
Yep: Crazy fire sale going on with Model 3. Y wait?

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
No offense, but I think the analogy is not complete.
I would say:
Imagine paying extra for seats at a concert, pretty common thing. Now imagine that the people coming and sitting around you are all general admission. Now imagine that the organization realize they misled the customer and comes to the mic and says: "to all that paid extra for seats, please stop by and you'll be given the difference back". It's not a matter of getting what you paid for, it's a matter of getting what you were publicly told you would get.

BTW I even agree about being misled, but I think that Tesla realized they misled the consumers so that's why they posted the sentence: " Similarly, anyone who has already bought Standard Plus and wants to convert to Standard is welcome to do so, and we will provide a refund for the difference in cost."
Actually, both tickets are being sold concurrently. This makes it different than lowering the price and not selling more expensive tickets any longer.
Some people are still getting ripped off. Aka scammed

Reactions: xtcEV

We still have yet to figure out if this is even true, it seems no-one (yet) has received a straight answer from support, and that this may only apply within 7 days of purchase. If Tesla sticks by this for all SR+ buyers, I will have a different opinion on the matter.

We still have yet to figure out if this is even true, it seems no-one (yet) has received a straight answer from support, and that this may only apply within 7 days of purchase. If Tesla sticks by this for all SR+ buyers, I will have a different opinion on the matter.
If what they say is not true than it concerns me more than anything else.
Giving somebody more than they expected I'm ok with it, good for them!
Lying to me is another story.
I'm not an English native speaker, but "anyone who has already bought" means anyone, not a subset and "has already bought" means bought not ordered

Actually, both tickets are being sold concurrently. This makes it different than lowering the price and not selling more expensive tickets any longer.
Some people are still getting ripped off. Aka scammed
My apologies, but I respectfully disagree.
Nobody is scammed, if you buy a "premium ticket" is because you want to be sure you have a premium seat.
In this case both tickets are sold concurrently but those who bought the cheap ones are not assured they'll get a premium seat. Some will some others will not
It's like when you buy an airfare ticket, sometime you get upgraded to business even if you paid an economy ticket and the tickets are sold concurrently. Nobody in business complaints about somebody been bumbed to business from economy, when you travel business you care you're given what you were promised

Whoever buys "now" an SR+ should not be allowed to downgrade because they should know what they're buying, so they should not complain if the SR are getting a better deal or the same functionality. The SR buyers maybe are "gambling" the features will not be taken away. If you want to gamble you can buy an SR. But if you want to be sure you'll get all the functionalities of the SR+ you should buy an SR+

Those that bought the SR+ before the SR changes and were promised to be able to downgrade should be given the ability and the refund (what refund means is a different story).
The focus should be on what the SR+ owner has been promised, not on what the others got.
The SR+ owner were promised to be able to downgrade and to get the difference and this is what we should want.
I don't care if the SR got a better car, I care about what I was promised.

I paid for a car a price that I considered fair and I legally signed an agreement.
Now I'm told that if I change the sw in my car I can get some money back, and I'm evaluating it as worth.
So this is what I want.

If we complain about what another person have we're losing the focus on the fact that the SR+ owners were promised something and the company is not keeping their words, which is really bad!

I think Tesla is being coy with their blog statement preventing returns in the 7 day window. After that 7 days from the announcement ends, they will completely deny it saying the blog was a mistake with the new clarification. This has happened many times as changes leave current purchases in limbo. My recommendation is to return your SR+ if still in the return window. It will be a hassle, but Tesla can fix that if they weren’t so incompetent.

#TeslaDumpsterFire

Nobody is scammed, if you buy a "premium ticket" is because you want to be sure you have a premium seat.
In this case both tickets are sold concurrently but those who bought the cheap ones are not assured they'll get a premium seat. Some will some others will not
It's like when you buy an airfare ticket, sometime you get upgraded to business even if you paid an economy ticket and the tickets are sold concurrently. Nobody in business complaints about somebody been bumbed to business from economy, when you travel business you care you're given what you were promised

Whoever buys "now" an SR+ should not be allowed to downgrade because they should know what they're buying, so they should not complain if the SR are getting a better deal or the same functionality. The SR buyers maybe are "gambling" the features will not be taken away. If you want to gamble you can buy an SR. But if you want to be sure you'll get all the functionalities of the SR+ you should buy an SR+

Those that bought the SR+ before the SR changes and were promised to be able to downgrade should be given the ability and the refund (what refund means is a different story).
The focus should be on what the SR+ owner has been promised, not on what the others got.
The SR+ owner were promised to be able to downgrade and to get the difference and this is what we should want.

I paid for a car a price that I considered fair and I legally signed an agreement.
Now I'm told that if I change the sw in my car I can get some money back, and I'm evaluating it as worth.
So this is what I want.

If we complain about what another person have we're losing the focus on the fact that the SR+ owners were promised something and the company is not keeping their words, which is really bad!

Agree 100% and makes total sense.

If English is not your native language I would trade all my Tesla’s to have your competency in a second language.

Amazing debate and presentation skills.

So this is what I want.

Features taken away is the right course of action for Tesla.
Not taking away after they said they would to lure people to buy SR+ would be a scam.

That’s my prediction.
I think many question it...thus the wave of change of heart.