Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgrade SR+ and get $2000 back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So looking at my recent experience I’m thinking the battery is top limited.
It’s basically a mathematical reason so I could be wrong.
I always charge up to 70%.
I don’t change the percentage.
When I was downgraded (yesterday) I took the car after not having charged it and it was 75%.
So I’m expecting what happened was:
I was charged around 68%/69% (not under charge during the night)
The downgrade happened so the car recalculated the percentage (same miles available to drive) so since the denominator decreased, but the numerator did not than the percentage increased. If the numerator didn’t change it means that I have the same amount of charge available as before the downgrade which means it’s not top limited.
I know it’s boring bit could be an explanation

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
So looking at my recent experience I’m thinking the battery is top limited.
It’s basically a mathematical reason so I could be wrong.
I always charge up to 70%.
I don’t change the percentage.
When I was downgraded (yesterday) I took the car after not having charged it and it was 75%.
So I’m expecting what happened was:
I was charged around 68%/69% (not under charge during the night)
The downgrade happened so the car recalculated the percentage (same miles available to drive) so since the denominator decreased, but the numerator did not than the percentage increased. If the numerator didn’t change it means that I have the same amount of charge available as before the downgrade which means it’s not top limited.
I know it’s boring bit could be an explanation

A couple of easy tests you could try:

1. Charge to 100% and see at what point your Regen dots disappear. I charge my SR+ to 80% every day and my Regen dots disappear around 78%. So if your Regen dots disappear at around 85% it's definitely top-locked.

2. Check your Supercharging rate past 80% or so and compare it to an SR+ chart. The points at which the curves taper should allow us to match things up.

A couple of easy tests you could try:

1. Charge to 100% and see at what point your Regen dots disappear. I charge my SR+ to 80% every day and my Regen dots disappear around 78%. So if your Regen dots disappear at around 85% it's definitely top-locked.

2. Check your Supercharging rate past 80% or so and compare it to an SR+ chart. The points at which the curves taper should allow us to match things up.
Thank you for the ideas but
1. I had dots in the past even below 70%, not sure if the test would make sense
2. I don’t know how to check the supercharging rate past 80% (never supercharged) and not sure how to know if the SW is doing something “strange” like doesn’t care about the top or bottom, but just look at the %. If you can explain me better on the supercharging rate I’ll try it when I’ll supercharge

Thank you for the ideas but
1. I had dots in the past even below 70%, not sure if the test would make sense
2. I don’t know how to check the supercharging rate past 80% (never supercharged) and not sure how to know if the SW is doing something “strange” like doesn’t care about the top or bottom, but just look at the %. If you can explain me better on the supercharging rate I’ll try it when I’ll supercharge

Fair point on the regen. They could be adjusting that in software. With Supercharging, it's theoretically a hardware limit.

Here's the most recent chart I can find of SR+ Supercharging rates: Standard Range Plus Supercharging Speed

It looks like the 100 kW taper begins around 55% SOC. So a top locked SR should see the taper around 59%, I think.

So were you contacted by email about the Downgrade?
Did they say it would be $2000 refund?
This is the email that I was sent. They did not mention the specific amount.

My name is Hugo and I’m reaching out from Tesla HQ in regards to your Model 3.

Per your request, your Model 3 will soon be software-limited to match the Model 3 Standard Range configuration you ordered. Specifically, the range will be limited to 220 miles, and several features will be disabled. Following the update, your Model 3 Standard Range will now include:
  • 220 mile Range (20 less miles)
  • 5.6 seconds 0-60 mph (vs. 5.3 secs)
  • 130 mph Top Speed (vs. 140mph)
  • Standard audio system without immersive sound
  • Autopilot will not be included if you have not purchased it. You can purchase an Autopilot upgrade at anytime through your Tesla Account.
Can you please confirm that you would like to proceed with these changes? If so, please include your full mailing address for the refund check.

• Informative
Reactions: SlimJim
So were you contacted by email about the Downgrade?
Did they say it would be $2000 refund?

I have a post earlier in this thread if you are interest in going way back.... In summary I emailed Tesla requesting a downgrade in mid April, they replied to me in June via email asking if I wanted to go forward with the downgrade (same as the email @hckyplyr revived. I didn't hear anything else until the downgrade when through 2 weeks ago and I subsequently got the check in the mail.

Also, they only verbally told me what the refund would be over the phone but my understanding is the the refund amount is directly tied to when you made the purchase. My check was for $2k as I bought the SRr+ at the end of March for $37k and only a few weeks later the Std range model 3 came out for $35k.

Reactions: SlimJim