Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgrade SR+ and get $2000 back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The American SR was the SR in Canada before the incentive announcement though, right?

Correct. I believe there was a brief moment where Canadians were promised an SR model with an 8% battery lock, just like the American SR. None of those were actually delivered in Canada, however, since shortly after the Federal Rebate rules caused Tesla to quickly create a model under $45,000 CAD to qualify the SR+ for the rebate.

Just got off the phone with Tesla. What a stupid offer... They offer a refund of 1500$ USD to downgrade the car to an SR with 150km! It's the only option in Canada. They know that nobody will accept this. The refund is about 2000$ CAD. The cost for me for the "+" option at purchase was 2700$ + taxes. I was expecting to get back 2700$ plus the taxes with the specs of the US Standard range cars (SR). Again I don't think Tesla is fair with the downgrade offer! What do you guys think?

Just got off the phone with Tesla. What a stupid offer... They offer a refund of 1500$ USD to downgrade the car to an SR with 150km! It's the only option in Canada. They know that nobody will accept this. The refund is about 2000$ CAD. The cost for me for the "+" option at purchase was 2700$ + taxes. I was expecting to get back 2700$ plus the taxes with the specs of the US Standard range cars (SR). Again I don't think Tesla is fair with the downgrade offer! What do you guys think?

A downgrade from 390 km to 150 km for 2000 CAD is not a great deal in the slightest. Putting that in Imperial units, 240 miles to 90 mile for $1,500 works out to $10 per mile lost. Compare that to the American deal where you lose 20 miles for a refund of $75 per mile.

Reactions: SlimJim
And if you read Tesla's note, it should be compared to what I was expecting:

Options

Last quarter, we introduced two new Model 3 variants with more competitive pricing than ever before – Standard and Standard Plus. Since then, Standard Plus has sold at more than six times the rate of Standard, far exceeding our expectations.

Given the popularity of the Standard Plus relative to the Standard, we have made the decision to simplify our production operations to better optimize cost, minimize complexity and streamline operations. As a result, Model 3 Standard will now be a software-limited version of the Standard Plus, and we are taking it off the online ordering menu, which just means that to get it, customers will need to call us or visit any one of the several hundred Tesla stores. Deliveries of Model 3 Standard will begin this weekend.

Its range will be limited by 10%, and several features will be disabled via software (including our onboard music streaming service, navigation with live traffic visualization, and heated seats). Similar to other software-limited vehicles produced in the past, Standard customers will have the option to upgrade to a Standard Plus at any time. Similarly, anyone who has already bought Standard Plus and wants to convert to Standard is welcome to do so, and we will provide a refund for the difference in cost.

To further simplify our line-up, beginning today customers will also need to call or visit a Tesla store to get Model 3 Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive. We’re making these changes to ensure that our online order process is focused exclusively on the three Model 3 variants customers want most.

Reactions: SlimJim
I was expecting to get back 2700$ plus the taxes with the specs of the US Standard range cars (SR).

Were you also expecting to have to deport your car to the US? :rolleyes: (Since Tesla doesn't sell a US spec SR in Canada.)

It is bad enough that there are two SRs, but at least there is only one SR sold in a given country. If they allowed you to downgrade to a US SR then you would have two different SRs in Canada to deal with and that would be even more confusing.

But that blog post was before the Canadian SR got downgraded to allow the some Model 3s to qualify for the incentive. If there is one thing that is constant at Tesla it is change.)

• Informative
Reactions: omkar

Options

Last quarter, we introduced two new Model 3 variants with more competitive pricing than ever before – Standard and Standard Plus. Since then, Standard Plus has sold at more than six times the rate of Standard, far exceeding our expectations.

Given the popularity of the Standard Plus relative to the Standard, we have made the decision to simplify our production operations to better optimize cost, minimize complexity and streamline operations. As a result, Model 3 Standard will now be a software-limited version of the Standard Plus, and we are taking it off the online ordering menu, which just means that to get it, customers will need to call us or visit any one of the several hundred Tesla stores. Deliveries of Model 3 Standard will begin this weekend.

Its range will be limited by 10%, and several features will be disabled via software (including our onboard music streaming service, navigation with live traffic visualization, and heated seats). Similar to other software-limited vehicles produced in the past, Standard customers will have the option to upgrade to a Standard Plus at any time. Similarly, anyone who has already bought Standard Plus and wants to convert to Standard is welcome to do so, and we will provide a refund for the difference in cost.

To further simplify our line-up, beginning today customers will also need to call or visit a Tesla store to get Model 3 Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive. We’re making these changes to ensure that our online order process is focused exclusively on the three Model 3 variants customers want most.

It sucks, and I didn't want to, but court may be all they understand.
Sigh.

Yes I just received the same offer and it is not even close to fair . It was explained that there are NO further options and a limited range of 150KMS is locked and can never be unlocked after the deal is excepted.
Nothing like our options when purchasing the car when SR & SR+ ( and there differences ) were announced - not to mention the $2,700 paid for the option as well as the "bump " by $0.01 into the luxury tax bracket costing an additional $550 ( that as well should be compensated back )
I'm under the idea the only thing left to do is a class action law suite
If there bringing it down to the 150KMS we then should ASLO now qualify for the $5,000 government rebate.

But sadly no - Tesla and there offer is insulting

--- Class action should be pursued

there was an additional federal rebate of $5,000 put forth on June 1st for any electric car under $45,000 . This is when Tesla did the $45K vehicle with 150KMS range so people could qualify for that as well ( this natured 150KM range car didn't exist when the downgrade debacle started and the tweet offer of a option to downgrade was announced )
Fair is fair - if they want to give me the $45K car with 150K range then they can refund the balance of the $60K I paid for the SR+