Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragtimes P90D Ludicrous 0-60mph and 0-100mph video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeing all the discussion about the P90DL still coming up short in the 1/4 mile runs makes me wonder if this might just be some caution exercised by Tesla for the first few months of rollout. Even though the new fuse allows an increase from 1300 amps up to 1500 amps, they may choose to increase the maximum gradually over time. This would allow evaluation of the first few months of deliveries so they can determine the reliability of the fuse and drive train. Unlike other cars, Tesla can easily be upgraded over the air (I assume that includes current limits, etc.) so why not be a little cautious with the first deliveries? Has anyone one heard of the new fuse blowing so far? I'm sure even a few fuse trips would be highly publicized by the ICE crowd and would be a bad PR hit for Tesla.

I have a conspiracy theory that says Tesla will wait until all the P85D retrofits have happened and then they'll release an updated that opens up the P90DL but not the P85D since will be somehow maxed out on it's Ludicrous capability :)

I have a conspiracy theory that says Tesla will wait until all the P85D retrofits have happened and then they'll release an updated that opens up the P90DL but not the P85D since will be somehow maxed out on it's Ludicrous capability :)

That might be truer than we think. It does seem like the current P90DL is performing at the level you would expect for a Ludicrous upgraded P85D. In fact, it is almost precisely the 0.2 second improvement for both 0-60 and 1/4 mile that Tesla has so far stated for the P85D Ludicrous upgrade. (Ref in the forums: P90DL 0-60 = 2.9 sec and 1/4 mile =11.4 sec Vs P85D 0-60 = 3.1 sec and 1/4 mile = 11.6 sec)

And just a clarification about my statement of a gradual max current increase over time; I was referring to the motor/inverter software controlled limits, not fuse limit. I'm pretty sure that the new 1500 amp fuse trigger, although settable, it not accessible via the CAN buss. (I think sorka and most others understood what I was saying but just in case my statement was not clear ...)

I hope to be posting my own Vbox results for the P90DL when it is delivered in December (projected). By then we'll have the 7.x upgrade and all the P90DL's will be posting 2.8 sec 0-60 and 10.9 1/4 mile times.

One thing puzzles me; why don’t you guys get your P90Ds to Tesla for repair? There is clearly something wrong with your car because it is not functioning according to specs. Your cars are on warranty. It is Tesla’s problem to fix them.

Last edited:
The underline doesn't show up on Tapatalk so some people might still miss it.

I've just been writing "P90D with Ludicrous." It may not be as sleek as using the underline, but I think it removes any possible confusion, and I'm pretty sure I can type "with Ludicrous" faster than I could stop typing and change the formatting to add the underlining. Just a little PSA, for anyone who may care.

I hinted at something like this awhile ago, and it's their easiest option.

They've promised 2 tenths in 0-60 improvement and 2 tenths over current quarter mile times for those P85D owners who elect to upgrade to Ludicrous. Right now, it says that right on their order site.

Nothing more, and nothing less and so they're under no obligation to give those owners anything more than that for their $7,500.00. They've now already spelled out, in black and white, what that $7,500.00 will buy you. So no one can get pissed if an update does come out later for the P90DL which is not cross applicable to an upgraded with Ludicrous P85D.

However they did state 10.9 in the quarter for P90D owners, and so they are indeed obligated to give those owners that. But they made, and make, no such promise to those who would upgrade to Ludicrous in the P85D. In fact, they didn't even promise 11.0 for those customers.

I'm thinking that it will basically come down to this: Whatever is the recognized quarter mile spec for the P85D, whether that be 11.8 or 11.6, or even 11.5, look to get another .2 seconds off of that for your $7,500.00. If they say that it's 11.8, and you run 11.6 after getting Ludicrous, well then they delivered. Even if you were already running 11.6 or would have eventually run 11.6 without it.

I'm thinking that it will basically come down to this: Whatever is the recognized quarter mile spec for the P85D, whether that be 11.8 or 11.6, or even 11.5, look to get another .2 seconds off of that for your $7,500.00. If they say that it's 11.8, and you run 11.6 after getting Ludicrous, well then they delivered. Even if you were already running 11.6 or would have eventually run 11.6 without it.
For officially promised numbers, they officially promised 11.8 quarter mile at the P85D launch (and 0-60 in 3.2):
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a6358/first-look-tesla-model-s-p85d-dual-motor/

Also on the website before they removed it, they compared the 10.9 to the 11.7 of P85D (with 6.2 update that decreased 0-60 from 3.2 to 3.1). I couldn't find a screenshot, but it was easy to google a reference:
http://my.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/something-interesting-109-sec-quarter-mile-time

So officially that means 11.5 for P85D Ludicrous is all they need to meet promises, as well as 0-60 in 2.9 seconds.

For officially promised numbers, they officially promised 11.8 quarter mile at the P85D launch (and 0-60 in 3.2):
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a6358/first-look-tesla-model-s-p85d-dual-motor/

Also on the website before they removed it, they compared the 10.9 to the 11.7 of P85D (with 6.2 update that decreased 0-60 from 3.2 to 3.1). I couldn't find a screenshot, but it was easy to google a reference:
http://my.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/something-interesting-109-sec-quarter-mile-time

So officially that means 11.5 for P85D Ludicrous is all they need to meet promises, as well as 0-60 in 2.9 seconds.

Yup.

And there is already evidence of 3.05 - 3.08 seconds on the 0-60 times for the P85D.

I'm thinking that the only thing that Ludicrous is going to do for the P85D, is cut it's 0-60 times by a couple of tenths, which is not really where the improvement in the car is needed, and where one really would be hard pressed to discern that little of a difference over an Insane launch.

When I put down my $500 depotit I'm 99% sure it said I'd get 0-60 in 2.8s.

I don't know when you put your money down kirk, but to my best recollection, it never said 0-60 in 2.8.

In fact, when it first came out for sale, there was no mention of actual performance numbers or specific numerical improvement at all.

Take a look.

P85D Ludicrous Pre-Order Upgrade Available 9/25/15

A few days later, is when the current description of the item went up. In the current description, actual performance numbers of .2 seconds improvement in 0-60 and quarter mile times are stated.

It was actually around 9/30/15 when someone pointed this out. P85D Ludicrous Pre-Order Upgrade Available 9/25/15 - Page 15

Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters LUDICROUS MODE ONLY (P85D) - PRE ORDER DEPOSIT

Last edited:
When I put down my $500 depotit I'm 99% sure it said I'd get 0-60 in 2.8s.

It didn't specify on at all on the order page at first. But the main product page:

Model S | Tesla Motors

Still says P85D 0-60 2.8 seconds with Ludicrous speed upgrade. The 1/4 miles says 10.9 with Ludicrous AND range. Since the only way to get Ludicrous only without the range upgrade is on an upgraded P85D, they're still claiming 3 tenths off for the the P85D with Ludicrous.

Did they ever specify at what altitude you're supposed to be able to hit these numbers? As we all know, altitude negatively impacts internal combustion engine vehicles (some more than others, but regardless one assumes performance figures are recorded @ sea level for these vehicles)... however this isn't the case with an EV. It should not only run just as well, but at higher altitudes the less dense air should have a noticeable effect on Cd, allowing for faster times. Or am I overthinking this?

Last edited: