Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragtimes P90D Ludicrous 0-60mph and 0-100mph video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't check power for a bit. Roads are wet (I spun the wheels at 40mph last night) and I'm swamped.

I wouldn't be surprised if curb weight is fully loaded, which means pano roof. As I said in another post, the MB pano roof added ~200lb years ago. If you look at comparisons of 1/4 mile calculators they indicate that each 100lb is like 0.8s difference. I don't know the weight of the people that did the 1/4 tests, but Tesla tests with a medium size driver, so probably 160ish. So you're looking at probably a 300lb difference and we had 11.3s 1/4 mile times posted.

Agreed, although I think you meant 0.08s :) So if the non pano roof version is 200 lbs lighter, the 1/4 mile could move from the 11.5 everyone else is getting to 11.3. But that's still a long long way off of 10.9.

I'm beginning to wonder if they actually tested this car.

I've read this article a couple of times now, and there is nothing in it that I can find that tells me without a doubt that they actually tested it themselves and are not using manufacturer supplied numbers. Something just doesn't smell right. Maybe it's the tense used in parts of the article.

"Although the Tesla specializes in short sprints perfectly suited for metered freeway on-ramps, it's also a capable drag racer. With a full charge, the P90D reliably rips through the quarter mile in 10.9 seconds, hitting 122.7 mph. Those numbers make the EV the fastest four-door sedan we've ever tested, besting both the mighty 707-hp Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat and the Audi RS 7 at the strip......Keep it buried, and you'll hit 100 mph in fewer than 7 seconds."

Two things make me think they did the tests themselves, the words "reliably" and the trap speed, which I don't think we've ever seen before.

Unless the test was done on a drag strip, that's not really a "trap speed".

A trap speed is measured starting at a distance 66ft from the finish line of a drag strip and to the finish line.

Either way, for me, this isn't quite passing the smell test.

And then there is this

Tesla Model S P90D Ludicrous vs P85D Insane Race - YouTube

No way that race lasts that long if you're looking at a 10.9 at 122.7 mph car vs an 11.6 at 115mph car and a car capable of hitting 60mph in 2.6 seconds vs one capable of hitting 60 in 3.1 seconds.

Last edited:
I'm beginning to wonder if they actually tested this car.

I've read this article a couple of times now, and there is nothing in it that I can find that tells me without a doubt that they actually tested it themselves and are not using manufacturer supplied numbers. Something just doesn't smell right. Maybe it's the tense used in parts of the article.

"Although the Tesla specializes in short sprints perfectly suited for metered freeway on-ramps, it's also a capable drag racer. With a full charge, the P90D reliably rips through the quarter mile in 10.9 seconds, hitting 122.7 mph. Those numbers make the EV the fastest four-door sedan we've ever tested, besting both the mighty 707-hp Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat and the Audi RS 7 at the strip......Keep it buried, and you'll hit 100 mph in fewer than 7 seconds."

Unless the test was done on a drag strip, that's not really a "trap speed".

A trap speed is measured starting at a distance 66ft from the finish line of a drag strip and to the finish line.

Either way, for me, this isn't quite passing the smell test.

I find it really hard to believe that MT didn't test the car. They have all the equipment and its basically their job.

I'm more curious about their comments regarding traction limitations.

Agreed. Nobody else can get remotely close to that. Was this an actual test or are they repeating specs and just getting them wrong?
Did they get a hot car delivered by Tesla?
Did 7.0 add power that nobody has noticed yet?
Has anyone any vbox measurements on their P90D+L since 7.0? Has anyone measured REST "power" on their P90D+L with 7.0?

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone with a P90D+L check the REST "power" field and see if it exceeds 456KW now? The fuse should allow 480KW with the expected voltage drop.

I have the VBox Sport plus the external antenna you recommended (sent PM with additional info) and will be able to add another data point when my P90D is delivered. Unfortunately I just had the delivery date updated with a one month delay so it will likely be January. I'm sure they just needed the extra time to update the car with the performance improvements made in the Motor Trend test car.

This will be of interest to many following this thread. TMC members' P85D and P90D with Ludicrous at a dragstrip Wednesday night in California:

Sacramento Raceway, Wednesday 28 October, Let's TEST the newest software update

Very interesting results. 11.4-11.5 for ludicrous. Trap speeds Ranging from 114-117mph. Numbers fairly consistent with the cob results and prior track results for ludicrous.

These Results make me me wonder even more now if the MT results were actually obtained or if they are a repeat of manufacturer's numbers.

Very interesting results. 11.4-11.5 for ludicrous. Trap speeds Ranging from 114-117mph. Numbers fairly consistent with the cob results and prior track results for ludicrous.

These Results make me me wonder even more now if the MT results were actually obtained or if they are a repeat of manufacturer's numbers.

Well, to be fair, it was his first time at a track, so presumably someone more experienced would do better. Also it sounds like he may have had a passenger. (He said his friend shot that video.) I don't know how much of a difference any of that would make, but it's probably worth something.

Previous experience has shown us that even those new to MS can achieve consistent results that are comparable to "professional" drivers. We are not imagining things and I do not think there are any magic particles (like no pano, different wheels, etc.). The current P90DL is an 11.4 car on its best day in the current configuration.

The question for me is what did MT test as I, like others, am pretty sure they actually tested a car and got the numbers they are reporting.

Well, to be fair, it was his first time at a track, so presumably someone more experienced would do better. Also it sounds like he may have had a passenger. (He said his friend shot that video.) I don't know how much of a difference any of that would make, but it's probably worth something.

If his friend were a sumo wrestler he wouldn't have cost him 5-6 tenths and up to 8 mph.

Also, looking at his slips, it doesn't appear that he made any "errors". His 60ft times are good and we know that he wasn't shifting. Unless he forgot to put it in ludicrous there is not much left to mess up.

The numbers are in line with previous vbox numbers by fiksgts, and in line with those seen in the last owner's results who had his P90D on the track.

The 1/4 mile times also appear to be in line with what the P85D ludicrous upgrade promises. About a 0.2 second improvement.

In it's current state, P90D ludicrous does not appear to be a 10.9 second car. One of the trap speeds registered was 114.xx mph. That's not the trap speed of a 10 second car.

100mph is not seen before 7.2 seconds in any attempt. That's at the 1/8. Think about it. That would leave just 3.7 seconds to complete the second 1/8th. Again, that's not indicative of an upcoming 10 second time.

- - - Updated - - -

Previous experience has shown us that even those new to MS can achieve consistent results that are comparable to "professional" drivers. We are not imagining things and I do not think there are any magic particles (like no pano, different wheels, etc.). The current P90DL is an 11.4 car on its best day in the current configuration.

The question for me is what did MT test as I, like others, am pretty sure they actually tested a car and got the numbers they are reporting.

If they tested anything at all, it would have had to have been a ringer.

No other explanation, no other reason why no one else can even sniff the numbers Motor Trend is reporting.

Last edited:
So the MT article is titled "first test review" and in the text they say "Those numbers make the EV the fastest four-door sedan we've ever tested" and that the car "reliably rips through the quarter mile" with their numbers. If they said that without actually testing the car, then that would be the biggest scandal in automotive journalism I've heard of (although stranger things have happened in the world). I think the only explanation other than their tearing out the back seat is software. A decade ago I bought a Mercedes SL with a turbocharged engine. When C&D came out with test numbers for the new model of 3.6 to 60 and 11.8 in the quarter, which was astonishing for the time, you should have seen the discussion and disbelief in the Mercedes forum. Ultimately my own car could do 11.8, but only after adding Renntech software and other mods.

So the MT article is titled "first test review" and in the text they say "Those numbers make the EV the fastest four-door sedan we've ever tested" and that the car "reliably rips through the quarter mile" with their numbers. If they said that without actually testing the car, then that would be the biggest scandal in automotive journalism I've heard of (although stranger things have happened in the world). I think the only explanation other than their tearing out the back seat is software. A decade ago I bought a Mercedes SL with a turbocharged engine. When C&D came out with test numbers for the new model of 3.6 to 60 and 11.8 in the quarter, which was astonishing for the time, you should have seen the discussion and disbelief in the Mercedes forum. Ultimately my own car could do 11.8, but only after adding Renntech software and other mods.
Perhaps they were on some double secret version 7.2 of the software. Would be good to know the details and protocol.

if you read it, they never said that they actually tested it.

The statement "first test review" indicates that they "reviewed" a test.

Didnt say whose test it was.

Last edited: