Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DRAGY Results with 18" TSportLine tires/wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of a new PMY on Aug 25th, and last week swapped out the OEM 21” Uberturbine tires/wheels for some 18s I bought from TSportLine. The main reason I did this was “survivability” from IL roads, a softer ride, ability to rotate them, cheaper replacement costs and maybe recover some of the lost range and improve performance. So last Wednesday Tesla Mobile Service came to my house and swapped out the tires for $74, but on Tuesday I did some tests on the 21s before they were swapped with the 18s with my DRAGY. My best of three 0 to 60 runs resulted in a 3.76 (3.55 w/1ft rollout). I did manage a 1/4 run but I accidentally hit the RESET button and that Performance Report didn’t get saved to my HISTORY, I did look at it on my iPhone and my time was 12.09 @ 114.X and it was marked as a VALID run. So that’s my baseline. My best 0 to 60 with the 18s was 3.65 (3.55 w/1ft rollout) as expected.

This morning at the exact same locations (but at slightly cooler times) my DRAGY reported an 11.89 at 114.96. See time slips. Am very pleased with how the car feels and performs with the 18s. I only have 175 miles on the new tires and once they are broken in I’ll do some efficiency tests. But from what I can determine now, they are MORE efficient than the 21s not surprising. If anyone has some DRAGY or track time slips they’d like to add, please do so, the more data points the better.

DRAGY PERFORMANCE REPORTS
0 to 60 on 21s (best of three runs) SOC was 91%
98ePi5X.png

0 to 60 on 18s 18s (best of three runs) SOC was 82%
zmFE8Lr.png

1/4 mile on 21s (one run) SOC was 89% (no DRAGY time slip times from memory)

1/4 mile on 18s (one run) SOC was 92%
5Ei6neU.png

The pretty photo
howQI9U.jpg

Personally, I couldn't be happier with my decision to go with the 18s, our 2022 MYP is a better overall performing vehicle as a DD here in Illinois where potholes have their own zip code.

Last edited:
The cooler temperature and relatively low elevation probably increased your times. You need to do a high altitude pass.
I live in IL there is NO HIGH ALTITUDE, the highest point in St Clair County is 681 ASL about 1/2 mile from where I was testing near Scott AFB. So the test results are were I live. Maybe we should have a sticky like the Corvette Forum has with published rules where folks can post their performance data so others can make comparisons.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Love the info i expected the speed improvement
And im sure the range will be better naturally

How’s the driving performance taking tight turns and stuff compared to the stock 21s you noticed anything obvious?
I love how it feels. On twisty back roads it’s a blast, no shortage of grip. Sure I may have lost a bit at the limit, but who would notice on public streets and roads? I’m not tracking it, but I love the balance and feel. I’ll let anyone drive my car and let them decide.

Can you post some more pictures? I'm thinking of getting 19's but your data on the 18's is intriguing. Has ride quality improved?
So far I only have this one more photo:
ulkIoMT.jpg

Re ride quality is IMPROVED how much is a matter for the individual to determine. Having driven all manner of "performance" cars in my lifetime and been stationed in Europe for 12 of my 22 years in the USAF, I have driven many European cars. My best verbal description would be "it feels more German" now.

I guess I'd turn the question and ask "how do you like the 21s and what do they do for you in your daily driving routine? Do they meet all your expectations?

Reactions: MrPeanutHead
How's your efficiency numbers looking so far?
With only 190 miles on them as they are still breaking in, and of course, temps are turning cooler, and no telling what other weather conditions i.e. wind would do to a quick snapshot so its too early to have any accurate numbers, but having said that I have seen some instances where the car as it is now is about 10 wh/mi more efficient along the same stretch of road.

To get more accuracy my best test will be the same test I ran on my 2020 LR AWD back in Sept 2020 where I drove from my home to the Mt Vernon IL Supercharger which is about 60 miles away on I-64, then return home. The total trip was 122 miles and my wh/mi per back then was 294.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd and Pied
So far I only have this one more photo:
ulkIoMT.jpg

Re ride quality is IMPROVED how much is a matter for the individual to determine. Having driven all manner of "performance" cars in my lifetime and been stationed in Europe for 12 of my 22 years in the USAF, I have driven many European cars. My best verbal description would be "it feels more German" now.

I guess I'd turn the question and ask "how do you like the 21s and what do they do for you in your daily driving routine? Do they meet all your expectations?
Thank you for your reply. I do like my 21s however, I live in New England which has notoriously bad roads. I actually come to Tesla from a Toyota Tacoma and am used to being able to drive anywhere over anything.

The Tesla is taking se time to get used to in that sense. I'm nervous about really buffing the rims or blowing out the tires on a pothole which are legion here.

Also, the cost and availability of tires in 18 inch is both less and greater respectively.

I guess my goal is to be able to drive with a little more confidence that if I hit some bad road I'm not going to have an expensive blowout.

With only 190 miles on them as they are still breaking in, and of course, temps are turning cooler, and no telling what other weather conditions i.e. wind would do to a quick snapshot so its too early to have any accurate numbers, but having said that I have seen some instances where the car as it is now is about 10 wh/mi more efficient along the same stretch of road.

To get more accuracy my best test will be the same test I ran on my 2020 LR AWD back in Sept 2020 where I drove from my home to the Mt Vernon IL Supercharger which is about 60 miles away on I-64, then return home. The total trip was 122 miles and my wh/mi per back then was 294.
You'll want to run those performance tests again in a few hundred miles. Traction is less when brand new tires are still wearing the release agent off.

Reactions: reefer_bob
Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons, the exact same Michelin tires as the 21s in a 245/50 - 18. They meet load rating requirements for the MY. All the specs can be found on their web page.
Isn’t that a drastically different outer tire diameter from what was on the rear of your vehicle originally? Any trouble with the AWD? Does the car allow you to set the wheels and tires to an 18” size in the menu?

Isn’t that a drastically different outer tire diameter from what was on the rear of your vehicle originally? Any trouble with the AWD? Does the car allow you to set the wheels and tires to an 18” size in the menu?
The outside diameter is almost IDENTICAL to the OEM tires - 28”. I tested speedometer error against my GPS DRAGY and the error was the same. Check out TSportLines web site and YouTube video’s. They are a direct BOLT-ON replacement.

So there is ZERO issues with ANYTHING. Just a faster, more efficient and better riding car and personally I prefer how it feels as my DD on shity public streets. More like a half back vs a full back using a sports metaphor.

• Helpful
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
The outside diameter is almost IDENTICAL to the OEM tires - 28”. I tested speedometer error against my GPS DRAGY and the error was the same. Check out TSportLines web site and YouTube video’s. They are a direct BOLT-ON replacement.

So there is ZERO issues with ANYTHING. Just a faster, more efficient and better riding car and personally I prefer how it feels as my DD on shity public streets. More like a half back vs a full back using a sports metaphor.
I discovered what the issue was. The tires in that size actually have a drastic difference in outer diameter. I was looking at the Continental DWS 06 and it says it has an outer diameter of 27.6” as compared to the 28.5” outer diameter of the back tires your MYP came with.

7C41FAA5-8196-4AB9-BA3F-92BA7642722E.jpeg

The Michelin tires you have come with a 28.1” outer diameter. I was surprised to see such a large difference in outer diameter for tires of the same nominal size.

038E7F7C-46EA-4819-9B05-940109B71C58.jpeg

Good info. Thanks for clarifying that.

Check out how heavy those tires are. I think they weigh 7 lbs more than your T Sportline wheels.