Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy times for Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The voltage plus amperage plots shared by Omar clearly conflict with the power plots previously shared. Assuming the power plots are incorrect as previously speculated by (I believe) @Torque Monster that would imply >92% motor efficiency at max torque through a wide rpm range. This would be very very impressive stuff from Tesla, and Torque monster I owe you an apology if it turns out to be the case.

Yes, if you look at the bottom traces, the grey trace shows my going into cheetah mode (goes to 100%), then let off the brake when the red trace moves up. At the same time, the voltage traces drop. When I let of the accelerator (goes to 0%), the voltage goes back to baseline.
sorry to be a pain, but do you recall the vehicle speed when you left off the accelerator. If we want to be 100% sure on all of this, it would be great to get a screen capture of all this up to 100 MPH (and in drag mode). If we can capture all the data and including a shot like 2021plaid reposted from you earlier (this way we have the HV battery voltage and HV batter current at around 70 MPH) then we know without a shadow of a doubt.

If you send me the data I will plot the results using MATLAB or excel

• Love
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
The voltage plus amperage plots shared by Omar clearly conflict with the power plots previously shared. Assuming the power plots are incorrect as previously speculated by (I believe) @Torque Monster that would imply >92% motor efficiency at max torque through a wide rpm range. This would be very very impressive stuff from Tesla, and Torque monster I owe you an apology if it turns out to be the case.
no apologies necessary. we are just trying to figure this all out with limited access to data. i am still wondering if I am interpreting this data correctly, but made some additional data requests for @omarsultan.

EDIT: Looks Like Omar just posted some more data which does seem to indicate my numbers are right as well. Now, we (2021palid and I) were calculating loss we were doing from the motor to the wheels, as we did not have insight into the actual battery power. now we do....

Last edited:
  • Love
OK, so looking at the battery side signals makes sense, while looking at the motor side signals makes less sense, so something is messed up there. This is is the HV Battery Voltage and HV Raw Current signals from ID132HVBattAmp messages.

At the yellow line, the amperage is ~2305 and the voltage is ~365, which equals ~841 kW or 1127 HP. If you back out the efficiency losses discussed earlier that puts you at ~1000HP, which seems about right.

BattPower.jpg

OK, so looking at the battery side signals makes sense, while looking at the motor side signals makes less sense, so something is messed up there. This is is the HV Battery Voltage and HV Raw Current signals from ID132HVBattAmp messages.

At the yellow line, the amperage is ~2305 and the voltage is ~365, which equals ~841 kW or 1127 HP. If you back out the efficiency losses discussed earlier that puts you at ~1000HP, which seems about right.

View attachment 690792

That's it!!

• Love

View attachment 690792
That's it!!
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOHHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! GUYS WE DID IT!!!!

• Funny
Reactions: omarsultan
Stinks doesn't it? This has to be so much safer than most of the modified cars there! The Tesla was actually designed to run these times, while many of these other cars haven't been! Old rules man.:rolleyes:
Yeah pretty stupid dated rules. I'm not sure they will update their rules:
1- It's been like that forever.
2- ICE cars that achieve sub 10s or over 150mph are usually highly modified so these guys don't mind adding a chute and a cage.
3- Only Tesla achieves these conditions stock and the regular drag crowd will show no sympathy whatsoever for the few Tesla owners that beat their highly modified pride and joy, blood sweat and tears weekend project cars, with their stock off the showroom floor overpowered golf carts.

The Plaid is just too quick, it (kinda) sucks for us.

Yeah pretty stupid dated rules. I'm not sure they will update their rules:
1- It's been like that forever.
2- ICE cars that achieve sub 10s or over 150mph are usually highly modified so these guys don't mind adding a chute and a cage.
3- Only Tesla achieves these conditions stock and the regular drag crowd will show no sympathy whatsoever for the few Tesla owners that beat their highly modified pride and joy, blood sweat and tears weekend project cars, with their stock off the showroom floor overpowered golf carts.

The Plaid is just too quick, it (kinda) sucks for us.
Yup! 100% agreed. :)