Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy times for Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re-gen might be the ticket to avoid needing the parachute. If there’s a will there’s a way. I don’t know enough about the NHRA to make a guess on the chances of this happening.

I think you have better chances of finding a track operator that doesn’t care too much than having the NHRA changing its rules.
On the full throttle run I did, regen was not a factor--remember it tops out pretty quickly--at 150 its a non-factor. I do agree you need an operator with a more liberal interpretation of the rules...or a local airport with a friendly operator. :)

On the full throttle run I did, regen was not a factor--remember it tops out pretty quickly--at 150 its a non-factor. I do agree you need an operator with a more liberal interpretation of the rules...or a local airport with a friendly operator. :)
There are a few 1/2 mile and sometimes full mile races around here on airport strips. I never attended but it should be interesting to try with the Plaid. I need to think of ways to enjoy that car legally. 😁

3- Only Tesla achieves these conditions stock and the regular drag crowd will show no sympathy whatsoever for the few Tesla owners that beat their highly modified pride and joy, blood sweat and tears weekend project cars, with their stock off the showroom floor overpowered golf carts.
I have full respect for the "built not bought" crowd -- at the end of the day, all I did is write a check.

I have full respect for the "built not bought" crowd -- at the end of the day, all I did is write a check.
Yeah SHAME ON YOU! You should be punished for that of course rofl! 🤣
I think partially part of the 'snippyness' (to put it nicely), is that these modders are slowly realizing that they dumped all of this time and money on a car that they can't drive anywhere, and that they can't sell. Often times, those mods actually DECREASE the value of your car. And at the end of the day, they get beaten by a 4 door sedan, that costs LESS in the end, and isn't breaking down and having to be rebuilt all of the time. Plus, it's a 5 seater, and it's quiet too, with cooled seats and a boombox.

Last edited:
1/2 mile races can be a blast. The only problem is that there are not many of them going on. But well worth it when you do go.
The thing with the Plaid though is that you’d be sitting on the limiter at 163 mph for almost half of the run!
Once the limiter is gone, THEN it could be pretty interesting! 😳👍🏻

I think partially part of the 'snippyness' (to put it nicely), is that these modders are slowly realizing that they dumped all of this time and money on a car that they can't drive anywhere, and that they can't sell. Often times, those mods actually DECREASE the value of your car. And at the end of the day, they get beaten by a 4 door sedan, that costs LESS in the end, and isn't breaking down and having to be rebuilt all of the time. Plus, it's a 5 seater, and it's quiet too, with cooled seats and a boombox.
You guys summarized my last 20+ years. 😂

I built some seriously fast cars (road circuits). When you’re poor it’s easier to buy a cheap car and upgrade as you free some funds. The cost for performance is also better.

I have respect for those who build and those who buy. I started turboing a Miata and my last car was a stock ZR1. I have more respect for those who build. But I’m glad I can simply buy the performance I want (and more).

With that said, I always thought the ZR1 was all the straight line acceleration anyone needed. Today, that performance is what the LR has. Sometimes I wonder what I’ll do with the performance the Plaid has. It’s really crazy for a street car.

I can't see insurance companies getting on board with cars much faster than the Plaid, which is bonkers enough that some companies may refuse to insure it for high-risk drivers. Does anyone in the USA under 25 own a Plaid yet?

I was in complete shock when I found out that my insurance was only going to increase by $21 over my 2019 Tesla model 3P.

• Love
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
8s. ARE. COMING…..I can feel it.
EB6674F5-410A-44C1-A734-E939FD840FD2.png

excellent post. and this is TRUTH. Also good luck insuring all those mods on the highly modded cars too. I am done wasting so much money on modifying cars to make them faster. It's a complete money pit and highly unreliable. For most people it winds up being a disaster. The awesome thing about Tesla is you get all the performance that you could practically need and it's STOCK.

Last edited:
excellent post. and this is TRUTH. Also good luck insuring all those mods on the highly modded cars too. I am done wasting so much money on modifying cars to make them faster. It's a complete monet put and highly unreliable. For most people it winds up being a disaster. The awesome thing about Tesla is you get all the performance that you could practically need and it's STOCK.

Attachments

• tenor.gif
    tenor.gif
    261.3 KB · Views: 26