Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's an idea...........talk your buddy into buying a dragy and then just borrow it for a day? Failing that, why not just go to the local dragstrip and run your car? The local dragstrip here has one day a week when you can run your own car down the dragsrip as many times as you like for an entrance fee of $25. Not as cheap as borrowing from your buddy for a day, but far cheaper than buying a dragy that you will use one or two times?

You're going to have to talk him into buying an approved helmet and possibly a fire retardant jacket, too. Assuming of course you have a drag strip nearby in close proximity to a supercharger. And you don't want your insurance company or Tesla to find out you were racing your car when you crashed or broke it.

You can always sell the dragy when you're done with it. But you might want to hang onto it, so you can tell when Tesla cuts your power back.

Last edited:
You're going to have to talk him into buying an approved helmet and possibly a fire retardant jacket, too. Assuming of course you have a drag strip nearby in close proximity to a supercharger. And you don't want your insurance company or Tesla to find out you were racing your car when you crashed or broke it.

You can always sell the dragy when you're done with it. But you might want to hang onto it, so you can tell when Tesla cuts your power back.
The local drag strip offers helmet rentals. I assume many other strips do the same.

The local drag strip offers helmet rentals. I assume many other strips do the same.
The closest one to me doesn't, and they don't have a supercharger nearby. And, eww.

Since the ludicrous S is a sub 11 sec car, some tracks also require a flame retardant jacket. Recently, I think some tracks are banning evs because their fire equipment can't handle the fires.

The advantage, though, is that the track is treated, and you're less likely to spin. I would think you could lower the gearing with 25 psi in the tires and get a better 0-60 time. Not sure how it would affect the 1/4 mile.

Last edited:
More confirmation that Dragy and Vbox are give practically identical results:

upload_2020-1-27_13-54-51.png

Hey @D.E. I see you're local to Michigan. Let me know if you have access to a safe place to do some 0-60 tests, and we can meet up with some test gear. I work at Racelogic (we make the VBOX) so I have access to the now 14-year-old PerformanceBox that people are benchmarking against Dragy, but also our latest consumer technology, as well as the professional-level VBOX systems that magazines, automakers, and Tesla themselves use for test and development. If you really want accurate numbers, I'm happy to help. If anyone else locally wants to try and meet up at a dragstrip or something, I'm always looking for a chance to collect some interesting data and help people understand what's possible with GNSS.

Reactions: mrau