Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Draw-Tite Hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Torklift Eco-hitch is not the same as the draw tite. Obvious differences. Eco hitch is available in 1 1/4 and 2" receivers. Draw tite only 1 1/4". Eco hitch receiver is removable and the draw tite is not.
Well aware. You didn't follow through all the context where you can buy an "EcoHitch" or the Draw-tite one from eTrailer.com. The one they call "EcoHitch" is surely just them reselling the Torklift model.

Doesn't look near as sturdy as the EcoHitch. The fact they have the same ratings is reassuring to me, that I chose the EcoHitch model. FTR, my hitch scrapes the ground sometimes pulling out of steep driveways. The fact my hitch receiver is removable is a big plus, IMO.

Reactions: phaduman
I just did a search on TMC for "Draw-tite" and the second result in this thread that @ohmman started on July 15, 2017 (after you started this thread) Draw-Tite Aftermarket Receiver Package

It's all about the Draw-Tite hitch/receiver.
It's all about the 2" receiver on the Model X. Not really related to the 1 1/4" on the Model S. The Model X owners are towing, whereas the Model S is not approved for towing.

My apologies, when I saw your post I didn't see any mention of what Tesla you had and made the assumption that you had a Model X since that is the only Tesla model rated for towing.

I failed to note that you had posted in the Model S forum. I also failed to read your signature which shows you have a Model S.

Time for more coffee...

No experience with this hitch, but it is cheap, the manufacturer gets pretty good reviews for other hitch models on Amazon, and they have free shipping today. The instruction pdf states 2.5 hours to install for a professional, and here's an installed pic they include:

upload_2017-9-11_10-27-6.png

I installed the Draw-tite hitch on a refresh MS. The instructions do not cover the refresh installation, and I didn't like how they did the cutting of the hole anyway, so I was winging that part of it.

The instructions have you cut a huge hole such that the receiver can fit through. This is needed with the Ecohitch to give access to remove the receiver. Since the Draw-tite is a fixed unit, there is no reason to leave the hole, so I modified the installation to just cut a temporary flap to put the big receiver through, then cut a chunk out of the flap and closed it around the shaft of the receiver. No hole is left. As I said, there are no instructions on where to put the hole, so I had to figure that out.

I'll get some pictures later.

The hitch looks ok, but I didn't buy the cargo carrier I intend to use yet, so no real testing on that. My bikes are folding ones, so I will carry them on the cargo carrier folded up, which should cause little or no increased drag.

I have not driven a lot with the hitch installed, but have not bottomed out as yet. I'm sure it will happen eventually...