Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dreaded coolant leak from debris

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well it finally happened to me. Hit some debris at night on the highway. Didn’t even see what I hit.

25 miles from home. About 10 miles from home car went to turtle mode but drove fine. Made it home and the coolant hose is punctured. Hopefully it’s just the hose and not the nipple so the whole battery doesn’t need a replacement. No rich rebuilds in Houston!

19 standard plus with 29k miles.

first appointment oct 12 but will tow it to the SC tomorrow morning.

Attachments

• C06C87A6-4C4C-4A70-965D-B595ADA97E76.jpeg
    C06C87A6-4C4C-4A70-965D-B595ADA97E76.jpeg
    424.1 KB · Views: 3,329
Last edited:
What ended up needing to be repaired/replaced? (Was the nipple on the battery broken?)

$850 repair. Not bad

Yeah, if you could provide the breakdown of the costs that would be interesting! Seems expensive for a hose and some coolant, but maybe they are replacing some other fittings, aero shield, etc. as well.

My understanding is that the aluminum plates replacing the fabric ones may prevent some damage, but is unlikely to completely eliminate nipple failures - they can be caused by a large object getting kicked up into the wheel well (the nipple is located somewhat behind the fender liner).

Reactions: Roaddkill
Yeah, if you could provide the breakdown of the costs that would be interesting! Seems expensive for a hose and some coolant, but maybe they are replacing some other fittings, aero shield, etc. as well.

My understanding is that the aluminum plates replacing the fabric ones may prevent some damage, but is unlikely to completely eliminate nipple failures - they can be caused by a large object getting kicked up into the wheel well (the nipple is located somewhat behind the fender liner).
The reinforced fabric aero shield costs about $250 from Tesla, so that would be a large part of the cost. Which is why the aluminum aero shield makes sense for just a little more.

And you are correct that the aluminum shield doesn't cover all the possible parts that can be broken. I have read a few accounts of people running over road kill and it being flung right behind the front tire, which is another spot with the coolant tubes.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life