Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Centric Center Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for that inadvertant double post.

Lets not forget that the display is the ONLY one in the car. That contains all info pertinent to driving conditions. So the majority of the time it's critical for the driver to be able to see and access the panel - in fact, I bet there are state/fed laws that probably mandate this info be visible to the driver at all times.

Introducing pivots and extra hinges, like chojn1 has said, adds lots of complexity and points of possible failure. And frankly, was not the point of his innovation.

While I'm all for pivoting extendable arms for the display some time in the future when FSD is finally available (so I can play my Atari 5200 games from the backseat), for now, the safest and most important adjustment to me would be having the display more driver friendly for the 95% of the time that I'm driving my car alone. One that is secure, and without risk of slipping off to the side or to the back to show my nonexistent passengers my music playlist.

Reactions: chojn1
Sorry for that inadvertant double post.

Lets not forget that the display is the ONLY one in the car. That contains all info pertinent to driving conditions. So the majority of the time it's critical for the driver to be able to see and access the panel - in fact, I bet there are state/fed laws that probably mandate this info be visible to the driver at all times.

Introducing pivots and extra hinges, like chojn1 has said, adds lots of complexity and points of possible failure. And frankly, was not the point of his innovation.

While I'm all for pivoting extendable arms for the display some time in the future when FSD is finally available (so I can play my Atari 5200 games from the backseat), for now, the safest and most important adjustment to me would be having the display more driver friendly for the 95% of the time that I'm driving my car alone. One that is secure, and without risk of slipping off to the side or to the back to show my nonexistent passengers my music playlist.

I had a hard time convincing my engineer/consultant/brother that the simple design is the correct one for this purpose.

• Funny
Reactions: JES2 and Roentgen
I had a hard time convincing my engineer/consultant/brother that the simple design is the correct one for this purpose.

My mind kept going in the direction of coming up with a way to adjust too, but yes....it would definitely make it more complex! I use RAM mounts in my vehicles for my phone and they allow A LOT of freedom to move XYZ and rotate, so I may have gotten used to the freedom haha

Got a call from my consultant/engineer/brother earlier today.
He confirmed that the brackets as designed can be made by CNC anodized aluminum.
But, it can only be done at a reasonable cost if there is enough quantity to average out the CNC machine set up fee.

So, I want to start another list for those that might be interested in this project.
I will only proceed if we can get the per set cost below $150.

Post, PM, or email me if you want to be on the list.

CJ

He confirmed that the brackets as designed can be made by CNC anodized aluminum.
But, it can only be done at a reasonable cost if there is enough quantity to average out the CNC machine set up fee.

So, I want to start another list for those that might be interested in this project.

CJ

@chojn1,

As always I’m “IN”!!! Please Add me to the list! (CNC Anodized Aluminum Bracket)

Ski

CJ

Heck yeah!

(For either carbon fiber/ nylon and/or aluminum!)

What about the shroud solution?

CJ
Hi,
Yes, i’d be interested in either version.
Thanks!

chojn1 said "Pop open the bottom panel of the screen. There are two 10mm hex screw. Remove those and pull the screen out and up at ~30 degree from horizontal."

I'm not sure I follow these directions and VERY much want to adjust my screen like this. I watched video by Adam3, but he doesn't seem to be showing 30 degrees of rotation. Can you clarify? Did you approach it as he did?

Not sure I'm doing this quotation thing right, I'm new to site, getting my 3 tomorrow!

chojn1 said "Pop open the bottom panel of the screen. There are two 10mm hex screw. Remove those and pull the screen out and up at ~30 degree from horizontal."

I'm not sure I follow these directions and VERY much want to adjust my screen like this. I watched video by Adam3, but he doesn't seem to be showing 30 degrees of rotation. Can you clarify? Did you approach it as he did?

Not sure I'm doing this quotation thing right, I'm new to site, getting my 3 tomorrow!

@drPearl ,

The instruction video by i1Tesla posted by Adam3 will allow you to rotate the screen ~1.5 degree.
To rotate the screen more, you will need an additional set of brackets.
We are trying to make those brackets that would allow you to rotate the screen 10 or 15 degree.
The 30 degree described in my post is the instruction for the removal of the screen.

Reactions: AB__
@drPearl ,

The instruction video by i1Tesla posted by Adam3 will allow you to rotate the screen ~1.5 degree.
To rotate the screen more, you will need an additional set of brackets.
We are trying to make those brackets that would allow you to rotate the screen 10 or 15 degree.
The 30 degree described in my post is the instruction for the removal of the screen.

Thanks, please put me on your list when you get into production.