Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Centric Center Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two sets of brackets. Carbon fiber/nylon composite with a tensile strength of 60 Mpa or 9000 lb per square inch.
20180903_101106.jpg

Gap in the trim after installation.

20180821_085752.jpg

Image of the new shroud in place.

20180904_083424.jpg

@Roentgen,

I did run a stress analysis on the parts in Aluminum and Nylon and found safety factor of 15/15 for both materials.
So I am pretty comfortable with the over engineered strength of the pieces in my car. Composite fatiguing over time is always a concern, but a useful property of nylon is that failure (if it happens) is very gradual and not abrupt like most plastics. I have built similar CF composite parts on my tandem bike (most of the frame) which have lasted for over 10 tears. Those parts go through much more stress and environmental exposure than these mounts will ever see.
Left Mount v4.png

@Roentgen,

I did run a stress analysis on the parts in Aluminum and Nylon and found safety factor of 15/15 for both materials.
So I am pretty comfortable with the over engineered strength of the pieces in my car. Composite fatiguing over time is always a concern, but a useful property of nylon is that failure (if it happens) is very gradual and not abrupt like most plastics. I have built similar CF composite parts on my tandem bike (most of the frame) which have lasted for over 10 tears. Those parts go through much more stress and environmental exposure than these mounts will ever see.
View attachment 332384

Awesome! I saw there is a Nylon-CF filament, as well as a PLA-CF filament. Good to see you really analyzed it and explained why you went that route!

Since you will not be able to make and sell them (yet), would you consider selling/sharing the cad models (step?)? I’d love to print/fab a pair for myself, maybe even use it as a starting point to mod even further :cool: thanks

You sounded really confident before about the carbon fiber/nylon composite; has anything changed? It does sound like a more expensive option...

Nothing have changed. That composite is what I will continue to use in my own car.
I am exploring other materials for marketing reasons as people are less nervous about metal versus carbon fiber.
Remember the early days of carbon fiber bikes? It'll take a few years.

Nothing have changed. That composite is what I will continue to use in my own car.
I am exploring other materials for marketing reasons as people are less nervous about metal versus carbon fiber.
Remember the early days of carbon fiber bikes? It'll take a few years.

Lol. I got myself a carbon fiber bike a year ago... LOVE IT. Can't go back to those primitive metal frames.

I have faith in your stress analysis (beyond my ken to figure that stuff out)! Please continue to keep us updated with new developments!

and THANKS AGAIN!

Lol. I got myself a carbon fiber bike a year ago... LOVE IT. Can't go back to those primitive metal frames.

I have faith in your stress analysis (beyond my ken to figure that stuff out)! Please continue to keep us updated with new developments!

and THANKS AGAIN!

The front suspension control arms of all your Teslas are composite not metal.
They are designed to bend rather than break in an accident.
These brackets will see much less stress than those arms (weight of the screen versus weight of the car).
I am a believer in the technology, but people's perception must be considered when designing these parts.
And I have to do my due diligence on all the options.
That would, of course, also have to be followed by tensile and impact stress testing on the actual parts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roentgen
The front suspension control arms of all your Teslas are composite not metal.
They are designed to bend rather than break in an accident.
These brackets will see much less stress than those arms (weight of the screen versus weight of the car).
I am a believer in the technology, but people's perception must be considered when designing these parts.
And I have to do my due diligence on all the options.
That would, of course, also have to be followed by tensile and impact stress testing on the actual parts.

So sounds like it would be quite awhile til these hit actual commercial production. Secondary benefit I suppose could be protection from people copying your design and claiming it’s a different product due to different material. Not that I’m any kind of lawyer or anything, and assuming you patent your design.

Perhaps a motorized version for the next one?

I could certainly see a future version of the Model 3 using something like that.

We were discussing an adjustable rotating mechanism for the passenger, but that introduces so much more complexity and points for failure. This design is simple, cheaper to build, more sturdy, less vibration, and less likely to break.