Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver door map pocket light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a question about how to turn off the interior light that is on in the driver door map pocket. It stays on all the entire time I am drive, day and night.
Side pocket light.JPG

I liked having the ambient lighting on, but the wife and kids always wanted it off - so I designed and 3D printed these colored caps to snap into the holes for the LED lights in the doors. I printed in blue to match the blue footwell lights from Abstract Ocean. It makes the light dimmer and more subtle so the family doesn't complain. There are sticky colored slides that you can buy, but I wanted something that looked more OEM than that.

IMG_20181124_155909.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181124_160452.jpg
    IMG_20181124_160452.jpg
    636.9 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20181124_160517.jpg
    IMG_20181124_160517.jpg
    826.5 KB · Views: 140
I liked having the ambient lighting on, but the wife and kids always wanted it off - so I designed and 3D printed these colored caps to snap into the holes for the LED lights in the doors. I printed in blue to match the blue footwell lights from Abstract Ocean. It makes the light dimmer and more subtle so the family doesn't complain. There are sticky colored slides that you can buy, but I wanted something that looked more OEM than that.

View attachment 355280

Any chance you'd be willing to make and send me a set? Happy to cover costs...

The map pocket in the title caught my eyes. I remember the days when everyone I know has a set of AAA maps in the door map pocket! We actually got a full book of Thomas Guide in front seat back pocket. The other I was talking to one of my younger coworker and mentioned Thomas Guide.. and he went.. What is Thomas Guide?

View attachment 355280
Very nice design... care to share those STL's?

Very nice design... care to share those STL's?

Tesla Model 3 - Door Pocket Ambient Lighting - Color Caps by tyanger

They are still a work in progress, but here are the files on Thingiverse. The front door designs are pretty good - there is the thicker one you see here and I made a slightly thinner one too. The rear door design is giving me some trouble - because the rear door slot is narrower everything is more fragile. The design you see here works OK, but it is a little loose. If I make the prongs fit any tighter they frequently break when inserting them. I'm printing in PETG and have a very low end printer (monoprice select mini)

Last edited:
Tesla Model 3 - Door Pocket Ambient Lighting - Color Caps by tyanger

They are still a work in progress, but here are the files on Thingiverse. The front door designs are pretty good - there is the thicker one you see here and I made a slightly thinner one too. The rear door design is giving me some trouble - because the rear door slot is narrower everything is more fragile. The design you see here works OK, but it is a little loose. If I make the prongs fit any tighter they frequently break when inserting them. I'm printing in PETG and have a very low end printer (monoprice select mini)
Very cool... Thanks for sharing!