Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 12 and highway merge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

newguy05

Jul 29, 2016
NJ
Hi guys, for those with latest version of FSD 12.3 can you shed some light on its highway merge behavior? I am surprised noone talks about this which is one of the more dangerous part of driving, instead all the fsd videos are focused on local road testing.

In FSD 11, the highway merge leaves much to be desired, it will wait until the end of the on ramp before does its suicide merge, instead of trying to merge naturally as soon as there is an opening, it got into many hairy situations for me where I had to take over. My understanding is it basically has no understanding of highway merge behavior, it just drives on the on ramp like a regular road until there is no road then goes to the next lane. I have since cancelled fsd (for now).

With FSD 12 and the complete overhaul to fully train based on real driver samples, how does highway merge behave now? Does it try to merge as soon as possible? In busy highways with short on ramp, does it do a good job trying to mimic human driver to find an empty pocket and merge as soon as possible with some aggressiveness? Very curious how FSD 12, especially 12.3 handles highway merge now.

Thanks

I've been using FSD almost 2 years and this highway merge behavior is rare, but does happen at specific exits and can be a very uncomfortable experience. NJ Turnpike N exit 17 to Lincoln Tunnel is an extreme example with the car crossing 2-3 lanes within 1 sec at 60+ MPH 😬. I normally disengage, but if no traffic and no passengers, I let it do it's thing after updates to see if it's been solved. Haven't been in the area since my last update to v11.4.9, so not sure if it's better now

Upvote 0
The highway stack is still V11 code but still receives updates that are included with FSD V12 builds.
Some people report improvements with the highway on these new builds.
Yes, highway is still V11. Merging onto the highway seems to happen after the handover from V12 to V11. Merges onto the highway seems to be about the same as other V11 versions, though performance, in general seems to be better. V11 has generally been exceptional for me, so not sure what to expect different on future V12. Maybe a bit less preference for the far left lane?

Upvote 0