TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Driver door "Thumps" like lock/unlock actuator or maybe door handle

Discussion in 'Model S' started by GameMaker, Jan 11, 2018.

1. GameMaker

GameMaker Member

Hi all -

In the past two days, I've started noticing loud banging THUMP sounds from the driver's side door. S90D, Mid-2017 build.

It has happened:
    In my garage, at a stop
    At a supercharger, while plugged in and I was in the car, about 1-3 minutes after I re-entered the car
    While backing into my driveway (moving)

Also, I've noticed twice now that the driver door handle was not retracted when I came back to the car.

Both issues are intermittent, I've not yet found a consistent reproduce case. I mention them both because the sound *could* be the door handle retracting - like, the motor tried to retract it but the handle got stuck, and then eventually the spring overcame whatever was stuck, and the handle snaps back into the door, causing a loud banging noise right next to the driver. The sound definitely feels like something is trying to close or slam into place.

I've had trouble with the door panel - the SC was replacing my mirror, and didn't re-seat the panel correctly, so it started to separate from the door frame. They fixed that, but now there's more trouble with the door, which makes me more concerned that something still isn't seated right inside, or is bent, or whatever.

Anyone else get sudden, startling door "thump" sounds lately?
    Ever seen a door handle that doesn't retract?

Thanks gang!

2. Jeevesbond

Jeevesbond Member

I had this. Its the handle. A simple adjustment or replacement will handle it (pun intended). Just tell sc. took ranger fifteen mins to fix at my house.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. Esme Es Mejor

Esme Es Mejor Member

Yup. Sounds just like the handle problem I had. Ranger took care of it quickly and easily.

• Like x 1
  4. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

We had this problem on our S 100D.

After we started driving - we'd hear a loud thump from the front passenger door. The loud thump comes from the door handle being stuck in the open position - and then rapidly popping to the closed position (rather than the normal smooth motion).

If you see the handle stuck open - BE CAREFUL STICKING YOU HAND INTO THE HANDLE - because any motion to the handle could get it unstuck, and the tension on the handle is pretty great - which can hurt your fingers (not sure if it's enough to break anything).

It was a simple adjustment by the Service Center - didn't require replacing the handle - but probably can't be done with a mobile service van, since they have to do some disassembly of the door to make the adjustment.

So... If you have a handle that's sticking. If it's in the open position - push on it first and see if it will retract, before putting you fingers inside the handle.

• Informative x 1
  5. Esme Es Mejor

Esme Es Mejor Member

It can definitely be handled by mobile service. I watched the disassembly of my front passenger door.

• Informative x 1
  6. GameMaker

GameMaker Member

Thanks gang - on it!

7. Unpilot

Unpilot Sell order in at $3999.99

I just had this issue pop up on my 2017 S100D passenger side door.
    What is the deal with Ranger service? The closest SC is a 2 hour drive.

• Funny x 1
  8. DeFries

DeFries Member

Is this your problem?

Since this morning I seem to have this issue. Car built mid-2017.

9. DKPowers

DKPowers Member

Didn't break my fingers but it did hurt alot:oops:

• Like x 1
  10. 1speed

1speed Member

This has been happening to my passenger side store. A few weeks ago it did it for a couple of days, and the the problem went away. Usually it happened after getting into the car, and it's so loud I thought I had hit something. I've been meaning to call the ranger but may just wait for the first service.

11. Snipealot

Snipealot Member

+1 Also have this issue on my driver and passenger front doors, late 2017 build, S75.

12. mazeminder

mazeminder Member

I had the same issue on my driver door and driver side rear door. Service center fixed both. They claimed the handles needed to be adjusted downwards.

13. Unpilot

Unpilot Sell order in at $3999.99

Ranger (awesome guy) came out to fix mine and it has not been an issue since.

14. daktari

daktari Member

Same her, twice on the same door handle. When new (after delivery) and now a year later... so sick of SC visits.

15. Snipealot

Snipealot Member

Update - Service Center in Rockville MD took care of it for me, said they needed to be adjusted, no more issues as of now.

16. DeFries

DeFries Member

SC fixed it in 20 mins. Lucky to live near one (near the EU assembly facility actually), so no hassle.