Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver door won't open or close completely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This, and the rest of this thread, I think will push me over to cancel my reservation. Seriously, what's wrong with just having a regular effing door? Tesla is great, but sometimes they go overboard...

Because regular doors are on their way out in the premium market segment. There certainly seems to be some issues getting the bugs worked out but as "FlasherZ" pointed out, once you get used to them...

Jeff

This, and the rest of this thread, I think will push me over to cancel my reservation. Seriously, what's wrong with just having a regular effing door? Tesla is great, but sometimes they go overboard...

Silly reason not to buy the car. Just a new car annoyance. Will be fixed once and for all eventually. Good news is most of the common issues can be fixed via software update. Makes it a lot easier on both sides.

Silly reason not to buy the car. Just a new car annoyance. Will be fixed once and for all eventually. Good news is most of the common issues can be fixed via software update. Makes it a lot easier on both sides.
So, if doors opening for no reason, or doors not closing, or body panels misaligned, or seals not sealing are just minor inconveniences that should be tolerated, what would be a reasonable reason for concern? AutoPilot steering into on coming traffic? Or, would that too be one of the minor annoyances and expected risks of being a early adopter of pioneering technology?

This is from a thread here somewhere in TMC, but I can't find it. I had copied and pasted this to my detailer as I had the same problem with my front doors on my X:

"Keeping the doors open too long (manual car wash drying) resulted in no electric motor action for the driver door. The result was a partially latched door that wouldn't open or close. Once the door was opened from the inside, moving the door in either direction took strength. Lots of resistance, but it could be moved.

Nothing I did could get the driver door to work electrically. I tried a scroll wheel (touchscreen) reset, starting the car, locking the car (couldn't lock it) and powering off the car. Nothing worked.

After calling the local service center, they said to recalibrate the front door. While it didn't solve the problem immediately, it could help others with door issues. Here is the process:

From inside the vehicle, do a scroll wheel (touchscreen) reset. Open the door from inside (the manual handle will always release the door). Manually push the door to the full open position, then slowly and deliberately push the door manually closed so that it will latch. Close it slow enough that it takes about 5 to 10 seconds. If the latch pulls the door in, all is working okay.

Since I could not get the door to latch electrically, a Tesla Motors technician drove out from the SC to help. Before he arrived I remembered a trick that the detailer uses to raise the windshield glass. Sure enough, it did the trick to fool the door into action. With the door open, I moved a standard key across the door latch slot to trigger the switch in the latch. Only about 1/4" of the key depth is used as it is drawn though the slot from the side. The touch screen blacked out for a moment, so I knew the switch had been activated.

Once the door latch switch was triggered, the door calibration could be done. I also lowered the glass window and raised it fully to recalibrate the window, since it had stopped working properly. All is working fine now."

This is from a thread here somewhere in TMC, but I can't find it. I had copied and pasted this to my detailer as I had the same problem with my front doors on my X: ...
It was my post. I am pleased that it has helped. Please continue to share the fix if it can help.

Model X Auto Opening and Closing Door Issues

Note: In the text, "windshield glass" should be "door window glass"

Last edited:
Lots of folklore here. I have had two cars tinted and detailed without problem.

Also two different video and photo shoots with the doors all left open for long periods of time.

I have yet to have a problem that can't be fixed by just opening the door all the way and closing it manually several times. I have never had a door that could not be opened using the interior handle and pushing.

I wonder if people are just timid about manually opening and closing auto open close doors.

Reactions: madodel
I got my X on Saturday and have had issues with both the drivers door latching closed and the FWD not closing at all. It was stuck at almost closed and I'm NOT going to force that one. Service picked it up and gave me an S loaner. I think the issues are all related to the rubber seals not being put on properly. The front window is getting caught on the seal so the door doesn't lock and the FWD is getting caught on the inner rubber pieces where the door creases. Hopefully it will be a quick fix and I'll get my car back soon. It was fun while I had it...

I got my X on Saturday and have had issues with both the drivers door latching closed and the FWD not closing at all. It was stuck at almost closed and I'm NOT going to force that one. Service picked it up and gave me an S loaner. I think the issues are all related to the rubber seals not being put on properly. The front window is getting caught on the seal so the door doesn't lock and the FWD is getting caught on the inner rubber pieces where the door creases. Hopefully it will be a quick fix and I'll get my car back soon. It was fun while I had it...

I suspect you're dealing with the issues from 2.15.16. The FWD's lose their calibration occasionally on that release, and the doors are acting weird too.