Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver door won't open or close completely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anybody have a quick fix. Detailer was working on the car. Now the door is stuck in a weird position where it won't open more than 3 inches and feels like you need to exert a lot of force if you want it to open more. When I force it closed, it won't fully close to be flat with the rear door and the car still sees it as open. Once you do that, you can only open the door (3") from the inside. Pressing the handle does nothing. Can I fix this myself?

This is from a thread here somewhere in TMC, but I can't find it. I had copied and pasted this to my detailer as I had the same problem with my front doors on my X:

"Keeping the doors open too long (manual car wash drying) resulted in no electric motor action for the driver door. The result was a partially latched door that wouldn't open or close. Once the door was opened from the inside, moving the door in either direction took strength. Lots of resistance, but it could be moved.

Nothing I did could get the driver door to work electrically. I tried a scroll wheel (touchscreen) reset, starting the car, locking the car (couldn't lock it) and powering off the car. Nothing worked.

After calling the local service center, they said to recalibrate the front door. While it didn't solve the problem immediately, it could help others with door issues. Here is the process:

From inside the vehicle, do a scroll wheel (touchscreen) reset. Open the door from inside (the manual handle will always release the door). Manually push the door to the full open position, then slowly and deliberately push the door manually closed so that it will latch. Close it slow enough that it takes about 5 to 10 seconds. If the latch pulls the door in, all is working okay.

Since I could not get the door to latch electrically, a Tesla Motors technician drove out from the SC to help. Before he arrived I remembered a trick that the detailer uses to raise the windshield glass. Sure enough, it did the trick to fool the door into action. With the door open, I moved a standard key across the door latch slot to trigger the switch in the latch. Only about 1/4" of the key depth is used as it is drawn though the slot from the side. The touch screen blacked out for a moment, so I knew the switch had been activated.

Once the door latch switch was triggered, the door calibration could be done. I also lowered the glass window and raised it fully to recalibrate the window, since it had stopped working properly. All is working fine now."

Thx for the advice. My SC called back and told me similar but a little different. Open from the inside. Then instead of forcing open all the way, slowly close it with pressure so that it latches and sucks the door in. It worked the third time. Then lock and unlock twice. This reset the system. Working fine. I'm hoping this is addressed in a future software update as it's quite silly.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: tomsky and ohmman
Thx for the advice. My SC called back and told me similar but a little different. Open from the inside. Then instead of forcing open all the way, slowly close it with pressure so that it latches and sucks the door in. It worked the third time. Then lock and unlock twice. This reset the system. Working fine. I'm hoping this is addressed in a future software update as it's quite silly.

How do you lock and unlock twice while inside the car? Or do you have to get out?

No. Once you are outside the car and close the door forcefully and hopefully it latches and sucks the door in (you are on the outside of the car), then you double click the roof of the key to lock. Single click to unlock. Rinse and repeat. Done.

@Nototrader

i just went through the exact same scenario on Sunday. My detailer was working on the car. When he went to finish up for the day the door wouldn't latch. This meant he couldn't drive it, lock it and the display screen would turn off. I called Telsa and they said someone from the SC would call me first thing Monday. Since I hadn't heard anything at 9:30 am I called the service department at the Orlando SC. They sent someone out. My detailer is only seven miles from the SC. They were manually able to shut and latch the door and drove it back to the SC. They determined this was a known problem with the latch. They advised it is a good thing I didn't try to force or slam the door as it could have caused the door to be become out of alignment. (This was the suggestion of several forum users.)

In the almost 8 weeks since the car was delivered to the SC I have only been able to drive it seven miles. I called to escalate the problem to management as this is the forth problem which has taken the car out of service, all "known" issues. If they are "known" issues why haven't they fixed them in the 8 weeks the car has sat at the SC.

They had to have latches expressed from Fremont and they were installed yesterday and my car was delivered back to the detailer today.

When they tint frameless windows (like the Model X) they close the latch of the door while the door is open so the window fully extends open so that they can tint the entire window. Due to the complexity of the Model X, this confuses the car and messes up the calibration as the door latch is closed while the door is physically open.

Tesla needs to create a tint mode, which would solve this problem

Reactions: dailo
I thought I read somewhere you can disable the door from the screen to avoid this?

The doors are still motorized and that can't be disabled or else the door would't open from the outside. When the door is latched while it is open, the car gets confused since the motors report that the doors are open but the latch states other wises and this screws up the calibration.

I was told by the manager for our region that putting the window may temporarily resolve the problem for some people There is a know problem and only replacing the latching mechanism will permanently fix the problem. It took the technician who came out to work on my car 30 minutes to get the door to latch. He tried rebooting the car, putting the window down, pulling the door from the inside and none of these would get the door to latch. Then he just gently clauses it and for some strange reason it latched. Many people have had the problem without leaving their door open for an extended period. Several people have just gone in a store when they come back the door won't stay shut. I know until I can prove to my wife it is reliable she will not drive the car as she doesn't want to get stuck somewhere.

My wife experienced this tonight as well. I called her at the restaurant to let her know the door showed open. We did the recalibration - took three open/close cycles - but it seems to be ok for now.

We didn't have the door open for long periods of time, either... Just seems to have gotten 'off'.

My wife experienced this tonight as well. I called her at the restaurant to let her know the door showed open. We did the recalibration - took three open/close cycles - but it seems to be ok for now.

We didn't have the door open for long periods of time, either... Just seems to have gotten 'off'.

Did you get your X detailed/tinted or left the door open for a extended period of time recently.

This, and the rest of this thread, I think will push me over to cancel my reservation. Seriously, what's wrong with just having a regular effing door? Tesla is great, but sometimes they go overboard...

Nothing wrong with it, but then nothing differentiating, either. You quickly learn to enjoy the FWD's and the auto-open/close of the front door. Can you do without it? Sure. Do you want to do without it? I don't -- I find myself getting into the Model S and stepping on the brake, wondering why the door doesn't close for me.

Reactions: Lydia49