Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver LCD Display for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That looks really good.
I must check it out.
People either love it or hate it. The screen bezel and mounting hardware is almost an identical match to the stock console design so it looks much more OEM. I'm also a very tall guy so my steering wheel doesn't block my view of the screen, but depending on how you adjust your steering wheel it could block it somewhat. We have a ton of radar cameras in Switzerland so for me to be able to keep an eye on my speed without having to look at the main console screen was the initial motivation. Now with the v2 and CarPlay and all the custom apps, etc, it's simply awesome.

@webbah, does the device play audio over Bluetooth to the vehicle sound system? So I assume while in CarPlay mode the device uses Tesla’s microphone and speakers over Bluetooth so you just leave the source as Bluetooth in your car display?

Also, any issue with blocking the airflow?

Surely installing something like this will void your warranty?

In order for something to void the warranty the manufacturer needs to prove that whatever the issue was caused by the aftermarket kit.
In my case for example my car was in the SC for front motor and 12V battery replacement. I have the Hanshow kit for both boot and frunk installed. Foot sensor and all. None of the engineers mentioned anything. When I went to pick the car up I checked in front of them if there was an issue with the opening/closing functions and they wouldn't care less.

Reactions: Mr H
People either love it or hate it. The screen bezel and mounting hardware is almost an identical match to the stock console design so it looks much more OEM. I'm also a very tall guy so my steering wheel doesn't block my view of the screen, but depending on how you adjust your steering wheel it could block it somewhat. We have a ton of radar cameras in Switzerland so for me to be able to keep an eye on my speed without having to look at the main console screen was the initial motivation. Now with the v2 and CarPlay and all the custom apps, etc, it's simply awesome.

It's a shame these things never seem to get the UI/UX right. I don't understand why they don't mimic the Tesla UI, the iconography, font, etc. It seems to always be the case with these things, they get the physical aesthetics almost spot on, but the UI lets it down massively.

It's like having an iPhone with an Android looking app running on it (or vice versa), it's discordant.

Here's a pic of my car with the v1 for reference. I don't yet have a photo of the v2 as I just installed it, but it's basically the same layout although I added a matte screen protector to match my main console screen and prevent glare.
Looks very useful! I really wish the 3 came with a front display like the S.

Do you have a link to where you got the screen protector? Thanks!

@webbah, does the device play audio over Bluetooth to the vehicle sound system? So I assume while in CarPlay mode the device uses Tesla’s microphone and speakers over Bluetooth so you just leave the source as Bluetooth in your car display?

Also, any issue with blocking the airflow?
Yes it uses Bluetooth both to the iPhone and to the Tesla. I haven't noticed any issues with airflow. And even during a very cold winter here in the Swiss Alps!

Reactions: jmaddr
Hi. Who can do the installation?
Or ordered directly from they and did the work your self?
Thanks
I installed it myself in less than 1 hour. It isn't too difficult, but I already knew how to remove the dash panel as I replaced mine with matte carbon right after delivery. You run the cable under the dash panel to the passenger footwell and then it's a Y splitter cable so you can tap into the canbus controller hidden on the door panel side of the passenger footwell. That was the only challenging part as I have fairly big hands and it's a tight squeeze to get the original cable out and then reconnect with this one. But I managed it all in less than 1 hour.

Reactions: speedyranger74
just checked the Hanshow site. Quite pricey. (on his way to convince the wife about the safety improvements with this kit) :p
I would suggest adding it to your cart with email address and then DON'T checkout. They will contact you within a few hours most likely and offer a discount. Quite easy to get $200 discount. Trust me! And the one pictured in the original post here is only $200 cheaper so with the discount it would be the same but with many many more features.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Envchem and Durzel
@webbah I've been looking at this today and wondered if you (or anyone else) knew the answers to the following:

1. Does the voice assistant work in English? No idea why it wouldn't but read some post that says 'hey google' only works in Mandarin.
2. For RHD cars, is the OBD connector on the same side, so under the steering wheel in the UK?

Decided not to go with the front camera, don't like the idea of screwing a mount into the bumper and with it being so exposed, I bet it would often be redundant due to 'schmutz'.

Price without camera is £450 so don't feel that's too bad.

@webbah I've been looking at this today and wondered if you (or anyone else) knew the answers to the following:

2. For RHD cars, is the OBD connector on the same side, so under the steering wheel in the UK?

There is no OBD connector on the Model 3 ... at all.
If you need an OBD connection you need to buy a third-party kit to tap into the data bus round the back of the centre console somewhere (below the rear USB sockets).
The kit is comprised of a short lead with big white plug one end, a big white socket at the other end and a short lead from the middle terminating in an OBD socket that lets you plug whatever you need. You separate the sockets already there and daisy-chain the kit.

There is no OBD connector on the Model 3 ... at all.
If you need an OBD connection you need to buy a third-party kit to tap into the data bus round the back of the centre console somewhere (below the rear USB sockets).
The kit is comprised of a short lead with big white plug one end, a big white socket at the other end and a short lead from the middle terminating in an OBD socket that lets you plug whatever you need. You separate the sockets already there and daisy-chain the kit.
Thanks. So technically I should be referring to the socket I'm enquiring about as a bus?

This particular socket is under the glovebox on LHD cars. Trying to find out if they moved it to the opposite side for RHD cars or if it's in the same location.