Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver profiles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way driver profiles works is a little weird. Some things are saved when you make a change and then click the Save button in the menu that helpfully pops down. Somethings are saved automatically with no confirmation. And of course, a lot of things are not saved at all. Here’s what I found (P85D 6.1.140):

Things that are saved with confirmation:
Seat position (but not the lumbar support)
Steering wheel position
Outside mirror positions (but not the inside center mirror)

Things saved automatically without confirmation:
Instrument panel settings & layout
Cabin temperatures & temperature sync
Front seat heaters
Drive away lock & walk away lock
Auto present handles
Headlights after exit
Mirror auto tilt/fold
Driver assist settings (except overtake)
Units
Suspension auto lowering speed
Steering mode
Regenerative braking
DRL, Fog
Auto high beam

Things that are NOT saved in the profile:
Media Volume
Climate on/off; auto mode
TACC following distance (it's physical)
Overtake acceleration
Displays settings
Safety & Security settings
Child protection lock
Climate settings
Apps settings *
Traction control
Acceleration
Range mode
Creep
Rear seat heaters
Heated steering wheel & wipers
Headlights
Ambient
Dome

* The documentation says that some Apps settings are saved. It doesn’t look that way to me.

It seems odd that it's inconsistent about how stuff is saved. And it's odd that some things like creep and insane are not saved.

Anyone have any corrections or additions?

Most of that makes sense to me... except creep. I know that will need to be different for my wife and myself. She drives a Leaf. She took the Leaf away from me (meaning I've driven it a lot). Test driving a Tesla setup for "one pedal driving" was hard... and I believe it was harder because of my time in the Leaf. She will only occasionally drive the T, so it sure would be nice if the regen/creep settings were auto between her fob and mine.

Hmmm....

It's not about the fob, don't bring that up again, profiles are only on the console as a button...

To me, every possible setting that is user settable should be saved as the profile. I mean, like, why not?

The way driver profiles works is a little weird. Some things are saved when you make a change and then click the Save button in the menu that helpfully pops down. Somethings are saved automatically with no confirmation. And of course, a lot of things are not saved at all. Here’s what I found (P85D 6.1.140):

Things that are saved with confirmation:
Seat position (but not the lumbar support)
Steering wheel position
Outside mirror positions (but not the inside center mirror)

Things saved automatically without confirmation:
Instrument panel settings & layout
Cabin temperatures & temperature sync
Front seat heaters
Drive away lock & walk away lock
Auto present handles
Headlights after exit
Mirror auto tilt/fold
Driver assist settings (except overtake)
Units
Suspension auto lowering speed
Steering mode
Regenerative braking
DRL, Fog
Auto high beam

Things that are NOT saved in the profile:
Media Volume
Climate on/off; auto mode
TACC following distance (it's physical)
Overtake acceleration
Displays settings
Safety & Security settings
Child protection lock
Climate settings
Apps settings *
Traction control
Acceleration
Range mode
Creep
Rear seat heaters
Heated steering wheel & wipers
Headlights
Ambient
Dome

* The documentation says that some Apps settings are saved. It doesn’t look that way to me.

It seems odd that it's inconsistent about how stuff is saved. And it's odd that some things like creep and insane are not saved.

Anyone have any corrections or additions?

It's good of you to try to compile this list. Thanks!

I really wonder about many of the things on your "Things saved automatically without confirmation:" list. I guess most of them are possible, and I just haven't realized it, but my sense for several of them is that they haven't been saving. I'm not willing to definitely say you are wrong, but "cabin temperatures and temperature sync", for example, is one I have my doubts about. And one that I am almost certain you are wrong about is auto high beam. I like it and my wife doesn't. I'm always having to turn it back on, when I use the car after she has driven it. I am 98% certain that is not saving.

Also what do you mean by "inside center mirror?" Are you referring to the rear view mirror, that we have to manually adjust?

Last edited:
And one that I am almost certain you are wrong about is auto high beam. I like it and my wife doesn't. I'm always having to turn it back on, when I use the car after she has driven it. I am 98% certain that is not saving.

I was talking to my wife about this one this morning, to confirm my thoughts. In doing so I realized what I wrote above makes no sense.

All that happens when she drives is that she moves the lever from the "highbeams on" position, to the "highbeams off" position. She has not been changing the actual setting. I should have realized that, and of course also realized that the car wouldn't be moving a lever, any more than it could move the rear view mirror! I just wasn't thinking about it properly.

So it is entirely possible that you were correct, and that the setting for auto high beam does save with the driver profile. I actually have no idea one way or the other.

My car is at the shop being wrapped so I can't check now. I'll check when I get it back next week.

Yeah, I meant the "rear view mirror". Of course it's manual.
Why do you say "Of course it's manual". I have wondered for years why that is the norm in today's cars. Don't understand where the technical challenge is that makes it too hard to electronically figure out where the mirror is pointed, and reproduce it.