TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Driver-side window auto-open/close not working

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by wayne530, Apr 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. wayne530

wayne530 New Member

I noticed the driver-side window auto-open/close (lifting the button all the way, or pushing it all the way down) wasn't working. It was operating like the manual open/close setting where it would stop after letting go of the button. Got a tip to sit in the car with the door shut, put the window all the way down, lift and hold the button to close the window all the way, then once closed, hold the button up for another 5 seconds. It does some sort of recalibration on the window controller and seemed to fix the issue for me. Hope this helps others that run into this problem! :)

• Informative x 7
    • Helpful x 2
    • Like x 2
  2. superlum

superlum Supporting Member

Wow this just happened on Model X and that trick worked! Thank you!!

3. Toast

Toast Member

I’ll second the thanks- just had the regulators replaced in my model 3 with mobile service (I hadn’t had issues- but apparently some recall issue with them not being fully waterproff)

But the auto close wasn’t working- just did what you said and working like a charm

4. BioSehnsucht

BioSehnsucht Model 3 LR

Just discovered I had the same problem today, and the solution is the same. auto up/down wasn't working on both driver's windows but passengers worked fine. Doing this procedure got them all working. though now I've noticed strangely that the passenger front window doesn't go down as far as my driver front window ... it's like 1cm difference maybe.

5. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

Must be the same controller they used in my ford focus. I once had to re-do all 4 doors.

6. gabu

gabu New Member

That is just bizarre............it worked!

7. RayK

RayK Active Member

BMW has a similar reset procedure for their windows. At least for my 2000 E46.

8. MtnTom

MtnTom Member

Thank you! Just had the lumbar support on my Model 3 fixed. I noticed the auto-close wasn't working. Your fixed worked... bada-bing-bada-boom.

9. James88

James88 Member

Yes! Worked here as well you're a life saver!

10. Techniques

Techniques Member

Don’t know what kind of sorcery this is, but it just worked in my Model 3. Thanks for the tip OP.

11. RobDickinson

RobDickinson Member

Thanks!

12. Melo

Melo Member

Had this issue on the front passenger window.

I closed the doors, rolled the window all the way down with one click, held the down second click for 5 seconds, rolled the window up with one click, held the up second click down for 5 seconds, and it fixed the issue.

Thanks!

13. Harveydent

Harveydent New Member

Worked on my new 2020 M3
    Thanks!

14. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

I have been having an issue when I auto roll up the window, sometimes the window starts to come up then just falls back down. It always works on the second try though. I wonder if this rest would fix the problem.

15. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

Here's the language in the Manual (Under "Windows" Pg 18) about how to recalibrate your window (so if you forget how to do it you know where to find the instructions):

Calibrating Windows

In the unlikely event that a window behaves unexpectedly (touches the bright molding, fails to open or close properly, goes down more than normal when the door opens, etc.), you can calibrate it to potentially fix the issue.

To calibrate a window:

1. Close the door with the affected window.
    2. Sit in the driver's seat and close the driver
      door.
    3. Use the driver window switch to raise the
      affected window until it stalls.
    4. Use the driver window switch to lower the
    5. Use the driver window switch to raise the
    The window should now be calibrated. If the issue continues after attempting the calibration procedure a couple times, contact Tesla.

16. seanyboysf

seanyboysf Member

I have same issue, especially while driving if there's a slightest bump orior shift in the road the driverwdriver immediately goes back down I take up to five times to auto close unless I hold the button up to close. Very aggravating and safety issue. Brought into a service appointment and of course they couldn't duplicate the issue and said it was a safety feature. No problems with any other window in same conditions.

17. fieldalias

fieldalias Member

This just happened after my FSD upgrade . This tip worked to reset them . Thanks !

18. robd

robd Member

I have this exact issue as well.