Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver side window would not close for 10 minutes after 2020.36 update...but eventually did.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First drive after 2020.36 update to my March 2020 MX. Of course, it's raining for the first time in 90 days here in NH. I lowered the windows to get some air while I reset the AC, and the driver side window would not close:
  1. I would press the auto close.
  2. Window would close to within 1/2 inch, then retreat back down and stop at about 2/3rds open.
It was raining, and water (from both the sky and the wipers) was spraying into the car, and onto me.

I tried holding the button in the close position - same thing.

After 10 minutes, and around 15 attempts (and immediately after calling my wife to bring me a garbage bag and tape, as the X was to be outside in the rain all day), the window closed.

I'm afraid to open it again!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 7.18.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 7.18.44 AM.png
    403.4 KB · Views: 161
I think it’s usually the pinch sensor in these cases (you can search the forum for situations like this). When it happens, try closing it an inch or so a time. The auto close will fail consistently, but if you “inch” the window up, you should get it to close.

Then of course add to your list next time you are at a Service Center.

This happened to me, except I was on the way to the airport for a week-long business trip! Made a mad dash home to swap vehicles with the wife...when she took it in that day to the service center, they replaced the window regulator. The window never successfully closed prior to service.

It happens, not only on Teslas, all cars that have window pinch sensor - all you needed is reset it by opening the window completely, then closing the window by keeping window switch in the up position but before triggering auto-close. Once window is closed, continue to keep the switch up for 10-15 sec more - done.

It happens, not only on Teslas, all cars that have window pinch sensor - all you needed is reset it by opening the window completely, then closing the window by keeping window switch in the up position but before triggering auto-close. Once window is closed, continue to keep the switch up for 10-15 sec more - done.

I tried that, let window open all the way, and then hold the button in the up position (and hold it), but the window would still go up to about a half inch from closing, then immediately reverse down to 2/3rds open.

Tested window this morning and it worked fine. Not sure what the issue was, I hope It doesn't happen again! I did read somewhere that you can re-set (calibrate?) the window by holding button does for 10 seconds, then holding it up for 10 seconds, then holding it down again for 10 seconds.