Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers headlight won't turn off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone experienced this? The other lights work as expected but my driver side headlight will not turn off, the "signature" feature of the headlight also will not function. I've tried the two wheel scroll reset, the full power off, calling Tesla, etc... No luck. As it is right now, I put a towel over the light so neighbors would stop coming by to tell me my lights are on (though I do appreciate the good will).

Got a service appointment Wednesday next week. Tried the hard reset (thanks for the information btw) but as soon as the main contactor closes the headlight turns on. As least when the car is in sleep mode the headlight turns off; as soon as it "wakes" though the headlight is back on.

Reactions: Amped412
Service people should have been able to first try fixing this with a pushed firmware update. I had a headlight issue when I first got my car and that's what they did. But then maybe they have already determined that there is a physical issue with your headlight. Good luck!

It might not be software. The headlight has 3 wires going to it: +12V, ground, and LIN bus. The LIN bus wire controls everything that's going on in the headlight assembly (low beams, high beams, DRL, turn signal, adjusting beams vertically/horizontally). If the two power wires have power going to them but the LIN bus wire is disconnected, there is a failsafe that just keeps the headlight low beam on. It's possible that there's a software issue that keeps the headlight and vehicle computer from communicating, where it would go into that failsafe mode. It might not be possible to fix through an update, so the headlight computer or one of the vehicle computers might have to be replaced (BTW, Tesla would replace the whole headlight and not just it's computer). It's also possible that the LIN bus wire is shorted out damaged somewhere and they would have to find and replace the damaged harness. Best to let Tesla Service take care of it under warranty.

I'm curious: do your turn signal and high beam work normally on that side?

It might not be software. The headlight has 3 wires going to it: +12V, ground, and LIN bus. The LIN bus wire controls everything that's going on in the headlight assembly (low beams, high beams, DRL, turn signal, adjusting beams vertically/horizontally). If the two power wires have power going to them but the LIN bus wire is disconnected, there is a failsafe that just keeps the headlight low beam on. It's possible that there's a software issue that keeps the headlight and vehicle computer from communicating, where it would go into that failsafe mode. It might not be possible to fix through an update, so the headlight computer or one of the vehicle computers might have to be replaced (BTW, Tesla would replace the whole headlight and not just it's computer). It's also possible that the LIN bus wire is shorted out damaged somewhere and they would have to find and replace the damaged harness. Best to let Tesla Service take care of it under warranty.

I'm curious: do your turn signal and high beam work normally on that side?
Gotcha, The turn signal, High beam and the "Signature light" do not work.

Has anyone experienced this? The other lights work as expected but my driver side headlight will not turn off, the "signature" feature of the headlight also will not function. I've tried the two wheel scroll reset, the full power off, calling Tesla, etc... No luck. As it is right now, I put a towel over the light so neighbors would stop coming by to tell me my lights are on (though I do appreciate the good will).
Yes, today my passenger side headlight remained on. I rebooted twice with no fix. I plugged it in to fully charge. The headlight finally went off after fully charged and then another half hour or so. I’ll put in a service call tomorrow. ???

2020 Model Y. Last week, the passenger side “eye brow” remained on, and it appeared some of the LED’s of that eye brow were out as well. It finally did turn off (probably after the car went to sleep). It worked fine all week. Yesterday, I got a turn signal error message, and the light was totally out. I have a mobile appointment this week for a rear taillight replacement, and they added this to the visit also. Car is at 53,000miles, so no warranty for me. Oh well.

Same issue after onboard charger was replaced. 2016 facelift model S (Left headlight won't turn off,turn signal fault, ebrow out)
Solved: fully charged car. After fully charged went into safety and powered off car. Left car plugged in and powered off overnight. Headlight went off by morning and turn signal fault gone.

I just want to chime in here for others: after a software update yesterday on my 2016 Model S, I had the same symptom with my driver side headlight not turning off and my turn signal - while lights still working - not indicating inside the vehicle and blinking rapidly outside. After trying everything here (reboot, power off, etc), I did as suggested: I set my charge point to 100% and left the vehicle. I meant to come back after it was charged to "power off" as recommended; however, by the time I came back out to the car, the light was off. I left the car overnight and in the morning, everything is working normally again. Thanks all for the help and suggestions!

I just want to chime in here for others: after a software update yesterday on my 2016 Model S, I had the same symptom with my driver side headlight not turning off and my turn signal - while lights still working - not indicating inside the vehicle and blinking rapidly outside. After trying everything here (reboot, power off, etc), I did as suggested: I set my charge point to 100% and left the vehicle. I meant to come back after it was charged to "power off" as recommended; however, by the time I came back out to the car, the light was off. I left the car overnight and in the morning, everything is working normally again. Thanks all for the help and suggestions!
Funny enough I’m having this issue after an update on my 2016 model S as we speak. I just set it to 100% charging. Crossing my fingers for this to be resolved in the morning!

Reactions: Petermcg
I just installed 2024.2.7 and have the same problem on my 2016 MS. Turn signal fault and no high beams. Tried everything except changing to 100%. Guess I will have to wait 4-6 hrs to see if it works. Not sure if 100% has anything to do with it. I think once it enters sleep mode it may reset on wake-up. Funny cuz I get excited when update push but this one I would have skipped had I known this is the result…SUX