Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers seat killing me!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For bottom seat adjustment, tilt the front part all the way up, and the back all the way down. Then recline the backrest slightly so you sit "in" the "v" shape you just created. This way, your hamstrings have some support.

Just as important as the first step: turn heat to 1 or 2, or on really bad days, 3. This will help the blood flow and relax the muscles in the area.

Reactions: KenC
For bottom seat adjustment, tilt the front part all the way up, and the back all the way down. Then recline the backrest slightly so you sit "in" the "v" shape you just created. This way, your hamstrings have some support.

Just as important as the first step: turn heat to 1 or 2, or on really bad days, 3. This will help the blood flow and relax the muscles in the area.
i will try that tonight. thank you

I have this same issue, I have been dealing with a herniated disc s5/l1 since a month after I got the car. Every time I get in the car it is very painful. I am not blaming the car for the disc, but this was odd timing. It causes me great pain on my left hip and then across my butt. The disc is on the nerve which then causes great discomfort in the left leg. I have to sit sideways in the car for relief.
Any relief yet?

It is amazing how you sit can affect your back, legs and butt. A body part at a bad angle and pain ensues. I initially had an issue with my left leg/butt/hip bothering me and after adjusting a few settings on the seat bottom including angling of it, realized my left knee was bent and the position wasn’t good. Adjusted the seat further back so the leg would be straighter while still comfortably reaching the pedals with my right and felt much better. Also adjusted the steering wheel (up/down and forward) to keep my arms at a comfortable height and position. Big difference.

Occasionally I’ll catch myself pulling that left leg up to bend it at the knee with foot more on the floor mat than on the dead pedal area and I’ll reposition it before it becomes uncomfortable. I found my sweet spot and have found the seat to now be very comfortable. Thank god for driver profiles including seat position. At one time Elon said they wanted to make your seat profile transferable between Teslas but haven’t heard anything about that since. With cars being so different not sure that is even do-able.

I have a tough time with the seats as well. I’m a smaller dude, about 5’5” and 170lbs, so that may have something to do with it.

No history of back pain, and have never had it in any other car before. I pay a lot of attention to my posture, seating position, both in and outside of the car. I’m very aware of proper seating position and back mechanics. I drive a lot for work, and wine I’m not driving I sit at a desk, so keeping my core stable and lumbar safe is super important for me.

For me the issue is I can’t get the lumbar to retract enough. It always feels like it’s digging into my low back. I find myself constantly trying to adjust it, or adjusting myself in the seat to get comfortable and have it be less intrusive. I’ll come out of long trips sore from it pushing into me too much.

I’ve scanned the forums endlessly looking for solutions, and aside from taking the seat apart (as someone with the same problem did), I seem to be out of luck.

No issues at all in our other car, an Alfa Romeo Giulia. I do use the lumbar on that car, lumbar totally off doesn’t offer enough support in that car, and I set it once and have never thought of touching it again. I drive that car pain free.

The Tesla’s seats just don’t work for me, despite all the adjustability. It’s an area where I think they need to improve. Or maybe Tesla’s are just built for tall dudes from California, and Alfas for short little stubby Italians like me.

I’m 5’10” & 170 lbs. I have the same problem since I owned the car last year. Never found a really comfortable sitting position. Never have any problem with all my Bimmers. My lower back started to hurt after 20min. when I sat in my son’s Honda Civic. Could be the seat are too close to the floor. My solution is sitting on a thick folded towel. The goal is try to bring my bottom position is higher than my knee.

Reactions: scotilac
For me the issue is I can’t get the lumbar to retract enough. It always feels like it’s digging into my low back. I find myself constantly trying to adjust it, or adjusting myself in the seat to get comfortable and have it be less intrusive. I’ll come out of long trips sore from it pushing into me too much.
The lumbar support button is tricky, so it's worth asking: did you try this? (copied from another forum)

the round button on the left side of the seat is a 4-way button that can be used to adjust it..

press on forward side: increases lumbar support
press on backward side: decreases lumbar support
press on upward side: moves lumbar support to up
press on downward side: moves lumbar support to down

https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model%203%20Owners...

It seemed like it was too pronounced to me as well, but that's because it doesn't like to deflate when it's near minimum.

To get it where I like it I had to press forward to inflate the support (I think it's an air bladder) most of the way out then push myself back into the seat firmly and press the back of the button till it was at minimum then slowly increase support till it was where I wanted it.

Reactions: KenC
Are you seriously saying that sitting in the car caused a herniated disc? Ot are you joking?
I wish i was joking!! i honestly don't know what the hell is going on. its been almost 3 weeks of serious pain that does not go away! ive adjusted the seat a million times. I don't know if it was the way i got in it when i picked it up or how i had the seat positioned for the 1.5 hour drive home but 10min in to the drive i have serious sciatic pain. Ive been to my chiropractor 5 times and still no relief. Start phsyo tomorrow. i really want to love this car but right now dread getting into it.

I’m 5’10” & 170 lbs. I have the same problem since I owned the car last year. Never found a really comfortable sitting position. Never have any problem with all my Bimmers. My lower back started to hurt after 20min. when I sat in my son’s Honda Civic. Could be the seat are too close to the floor. My solution is sitting on a thick folded towel. The goal is try to bring my bottom position is higher than my knee.
that's what i think my problem is as well. im 6' tall and as much as i raise it my knee is still above my hips.

Reactions: electrique
The lumbar support button is tricky, so it's worth asking: did you try this? (copied from another forum)

the round button on the left side of the seat is a 4-way button that can be used to adjust it..

press on forward side: increases lumbar support
press on backward side: decreases lumbar support
press on upward side: moves lumbar support to up
press on downward side: moves lumbar support to down

https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model%203%20Owners...

It seemed like it was too pronounced to me as well, but that's because it doesn't like to deflate when it's near minimum.

To get it where I like it I had to press forward to inflate the support (I think it's an air bladder) most of the way out then push myself back into the seat firmly and press the back of the button till it was at minimum then slowly increase support till it was where I wanted it.

Yes, saw this, thank you.

Just note the instructions here on how the lumbar works are incorrect. It’s actually two separate bags.

Press forward: inflates both bags
Press backward: deflates both bags
Press upwards: inflates the upper bag, while deflating the lower
Press downwards, inflates the lower bag, while deflating the upper

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
Yes, saw this, thank you.

Just note the instructions here on how the lumbar works are incorrect. It’s actually two separate bags.

Press forward: inflates both bags
Press backward: deflates both bags
Press upwards: inflates the upper bag, while deflating the lower
Press downwards, inflates the lower bag, while deflating the upper
Interesting. And this guy says a press on the upper front will inflate the upper only, presumably keeping the lower at its current state of inflation?

I think there may enough adjustments to keep any back happy.

I'd bet if there were doctors/technicians who you could drive to and they'd analyze you in your car seat and fit/adjust your car seat to you they'd have a number of clients. Apart from our beds we probably spend the next amount of time at a work desk or in our cars. Maybe a physical therapist could help with the positioning.

I'm just glad I was able to find a good adjustment for essentially what was my left leg as well. I'm not 100% sure what did the trick ultimately but probably a few adjustments that just lined up things betterl in my body. I do think it was important to have the left leg extended (maybe with a slight bend at the knee) but with the foot on the dead pedal and not pressing on your heel.

When I bought my first stick shift (didn't know how to drive stick at the time), after a few lessons from a friend, I decided to take a driving lesson to improve how I was handling the car on hills. I recall the instructor almost immediately telling me that my seating postion was all wrong and I would end up very uncomfortable if I didn't change it. As I recall it was about distance from the seat to the pedal and how the leg/s sat in relationship to that. This was a Honda Accord LX and no lumbar adjustments back then. Steering wheel had a tilt but I don't think pulled in or out. Our Model 3s, at least I know the premium interior version, have all these adjustments so finding comfort should be attainable.

There are a lot of articles and videos on How to Sit in a Car with Sciatica or How to sit in a car with Herniated Disc. Don't know if there's help there or not.

Last edited:
I'd bet if there were doctors/technicians who you could drive to and they'd analyze you in your car seat and fit/adjust your car seat to you they'd have a number of clients. Apart from our beds we probably spend the next amount of time at a work desk or in our cars. Maybe a physical therapist could help with the positioning.

I'm just glad I was able to find a good adjustment for essentially what was my left leg as well. I'm not 100% sure what did the trick ultimately but probably a few adjustments that just lined up things betterl in my body. I do think it was important to have the left leg extended (maybe with a slight bend at the knee) but with the foot on the dead pedal and not pressing on your heel.

When I bought my first stick shift (didn't know how to drive stick at the time), after a few lessons from a friend, I decided to take a driving lesson to improve how I was handling the car on hills. I recall the instructor almost immediately telling me that my seating postion was all wrong and I would end up very uncomfortable if I didn't change it. As I recall it was about distance from the seat to the pedal and how the leg/s sat in relationship to that. This was a Honda Accord LX and no lumbar adjustments back then. Steering wheel had a tilt but I don't think pulled in or out. Our Model 3s, at least I know the premium interior version, have all these adjustments so finding comfort should be attainable.

There are a lot of articles and videos on How to Sit in a Car with Sciatica or How to sit in a car with Herniated Disc. Don't know if there's help there or not.
how great would that be if I could just call a place that sends out a doctor and helps fit the seat to me!! (id pay $$$$$ for that) Just started physio today so hoping this helps. been watching a ton of videos on how to adjust the seat, fingers crossed i find something soon.

how great would that be if I could just call a place that sends out a doctor and helps fit the seat to me!! (id pay $$$$$ for that) Just started physio today so hoping this helps. been watching a ton of videos on how to adjust the seat, fingers crossed i find something soon.

Since you’ve had trouble on your own with adjusting the seat, if you think your PT is good, ask them about whether they would spend time with you setting your driving profile. They know the bone/muscle/pressure points structure of your body and can see how you are sitting in the seat from a view point angle you can’t. Worth a try asking.

I know when our office was getting new ergonomic chairs for employees (back on the 70s-80s) they brought someone in to work with people who were experiencing sitting issues. Don’t see how this would be different. The fact that Tesla Model 3 seats (premium package at least, not familiar with the partial premium offering) has so many adjustment points has to be a good thing in getting you a comfortable fit. Good luck with PT and let us know if you’re being helped.

Last edited:
I have been to the chiropractor and i also now have a herniated disc!! YAY. before driving this car i have never had any issue.
Herniated disk? I have 2. They are not caused by sitting in a car, but that could be the precipitating factor. Handing upside down helps allot! Don't do without a doctors approval. Teeter is good (this is not a commercial). Pick up used cheap.

Since you’ve had trouble on your own with adjusting the seat, if you think your PT is good, ask them about whether they would spend time with you setting your driving profile. They know the bone/muscle/pressure points structure of your body and can see how you are sitting in the seat from a view point angle you can’t. Worth a try asking.

I know when our office was getting new ergonomic chairs for employees (back on the 70s-80s) they brought someone in to work with people who were experiencing sitting issues. Don’t see how this would be different. The fact that Tesla Model 3 seats (premium package at least, not familiar with the partial premium offering) has so many adjustment points has to be a good thing in getting you a comfortable fit. Good luck with PT and let us know if you’re being helped.
thank you, I will ask my PT to take a look at my seat.