Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers seat killing me!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sat in the car for Hours last night trying to figure it out. I adjusted everything you can. What I think is the issue is that the bucket seats and the frame of the outside of the seats push your hips in. Right now I went to Canadian tire and bought a seat wedge and have the lumbar cranked pretty good. So far so good I guess. It’s weird. I have never had any issues with any other vehicle I have owned. Not in the slightest and then with in 10min of driving this car I was in pretty intense pain. That being said. Everything else about this car is amaze balls. I know a guy that does customize motorcycle seats and other seat stuff so I’m going to approach him and see if he can actually modify the seat for me.
I agree that the seat “pushes you hips inboard”.......sometime I love the seat and other times it just hurts....When I get out of the car, I have to take it easy for a few steps and adjust the old body.....but I love the car

So, I wanted to come back and update this thread. I have slowly been getting better with exercise and physical therapy. As that has happened it has become easier to sit and drive in the car. I am happy that this is the case.

At this point I think the way the car hugs my hips it was just hitting the nerve that is pinched just right and causing me more pain. The better I get the easier it has become to drive. I have also been able to give some lumbar support to my back and it not hurt. I fear this is just a long slow process until recovery. At least I am having a bit more fun in the car.

Cheers

I have also noticed the seat bottom sides press on my butt laterally and it wasn't until I met a fellow M3 owner at a SC station who mentioned he was getting sciatic pains that I realized this was not just me. He had a solution by simply putting a beach towel (folded on the seat bottom) to raise the position so the sides didn't push in. I've not tried this myself but thought I would put this out there.

Reactions: scotilac
For the men, do any of you carry wallets in your back left pockets? I ditched them years ago, then had something in my back left pocket and got into my M3 and immediately noticed it and felt pain up my back. Once I took that back out (it was some folded papers), the pain went away.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dr. J
Not an answer to your question @scotilac, but you can get covered foam cushions, in different thickness and firmness, that are used for wheel chair bound patients. Check out a medical supply store. They might even let you try it in your car. My wife uses a high quality one in the Volt and it helps a lot. We will be transferring it to the Tesla once we get it.
Might also try this

Last edited:
I sat in the car for Hours last night trying to figure it out. I adjusted everything you can. What I think is the issue is that the bucket seats and the frame of the outside of the seats push your hips in. Right now I went to Canadian tire and bought a seat wedge and have the lumbar cranked pretty good. So far so good I guess. It’s weird. I have never had any issues with any other vehicle I have owned. Not in the slightest and then with in 10min of driving this car I was in pretty intense pain. That being said. Everything else about this car is amaze balls. I know a guy that does customize motorcycle seats and other seat stuff so I’m going to approach him and see if he can actually modify the seat for me.
Physical therapy might help to strengthen the muscles. Are you out of shape?

PSA: Those of you with herniated discs and sciatica involvement, don't carry a wallet or phone in your back pockets. It can increase pressure on the nerve. Adjusting your entry profile so the seat is moved back to it's furthest postion should also help with entry/exit issues. As has been stated, play with the lumbar support at different settings until you find your "sweet spot". Always bend slightly in the knees before entering, taking the pre-load off your lower back. You should also not bend over with knees locked. Always bend in the knees before stooping. It's the small changes in daily living that helps enormously!

• Helpful
Reactions: Nrazar
PSA: Those of you with herniated discs and sciatica involvement, don't carry a wallet or phone in your back pockets. It can increase pressure on the nerve. Adjusting your entry profile so the seat is moved back to it's furthest postion should also help with entry/exit issues. As has been stated, play with the lumbar support at different settings until you find your "sweet spot". Always bend slightly in the knees before entering, taking the pre-load off your lower back. You should also not bend over with knees locked. Always bend in the knees before stooping. It's the small changes in daily living that helps enormously!

I noticed my belt also really causes sciatic pain as well if it’s tight.

For me the it's the head restraint and the caved in back of the seat that cause issues. I feel like it's pushing my head too far forward and it causes neck pain. And the seat belt goes across my neck. And the seat wants me to sit really slouched with a curved back. I tend to sit up straight normally so slouching was uncomfortable and increased the pushing my head forward. Then I came across this book at the library. It's called 8 Steps to a Pain Free Back. https://www.amazon.com/Steps-Pain-Free-Back-Solutions-Shoulder/dp/0979303605 And I got the back support thing they recommend using and put it in my car. https://www.amazon.com/Gokhale-Meth...3XPHH6M842V&psc=1&refRID=1J45BKCS13XPHH6M842V Problem solved! I can sit up straight like I want and my head is no longer being pushed forward. And I have less back pain. Awesome! I only mention all this because the book might be helpful to all the other back pain sufferers out there. I hope you guys find some relief.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dr. J
For me the it's the head restraint and the caved in back of the seat that cause issues. I feel like it's pushing my head too far forward and it causes neck pain. And the seat belt goes across my neck. And the seat wants me to sit really slouched with a curved back. I tend to sit up straight normally so slouching was uncomfortable and increased the pushing my head forward. Then I came across this book at the library. It's called 8 Steps to a Pain Free Back. https://www.amazon.com/Steps-Pain-Free-Back-Solutions-Shoulder/dp/0979303605 And I got the back support thing they recommend using and put it in my car. https://www.amazon.com/Gokhale-Meth...3XPHH6M842V&psc=1&refRID=1J45BKCS13XPHH6M842V Problem solved! I can sit up straight like I want and my head is no longer being pushed forward. And I have less back pain. Awesome! I only mention all this because the book might be helpful to all the other back pain sufferers out there. I hope you guys find some relief.
There's a youtube video of someone straightening the headrest about an inch. He shows how to remove the headrest, take off the cover, and then straighten the bars, and replace.

Reactions: Nrazar
There's a youtube video of someone straightening the headrest about an inch. He shows how to remove the headrest, take off the cover, and then straighten the bars, and replace.
IIRC, you can also remove and flip the headrest around so that it angles back instead of forward. Since this is part of the safety restraint system, use your noggin as to whether any new arrangement adequately protects your noggin from whiplash.

I upgraded my seat skins to Tsportline Perforated White Vegan from original black that came with my car. I am super happy with both look and comfort of new skin. No more backaches or discomfort on long rides. It has soft backing which original seats do not have. Perforated seats also adds more comfort. I used my local super helpful mechanic (Mega Automotive Group, Coakley Cir Rockville MD) to install for me. Use someone who has a lot of patience as installation is rather complicated. These guys at Mega love to work on anything Tesla. They also installed Tow Hitch for me.

My girl friend and I test-drove the 3 today and we both found the seats a bit uncomfortable. And, as it happens, I live in Baltimore, a tolerable drive Rockville. We drove the high performance version and loved it otherwise. I am a bit surprised that new upholstery would make that much difference, but I will have to check it out.

I have this same issue, I have been dealing with a herniated disc s5/l1 since a month after I got the car. Every time I get in the car it is very painful. I am not blaming the car for the disc, but this was odd timing. It causes me great pain on my left hip and then across my butt. The disc is on the nerve which then causes great discomfort in the left leg. I have to sit sideways in the car for relief.