Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers seat right bolster (back rest) rubbing against center armrest on left turns?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SilverGS

Nov 3, 2016
Ontario
Is anyone else having this issue - the drivers seat right bolster (back rest) rubs against center armrest on left turns and makes a very annoying (to me anyway) creaking/rubbing sound on left turns. The front passenger seat does not do this on right turns or left turns.

Last edited:
Curious, are those who have this problem on the larger-than-average size? I ask because we've had 5 Model S cars now and all do it for me to some degree. I asked my wife and she said that it's only me that has this problem. She's an average size smokin' hot babe and I'm a bit of a gorilla.

I know this doesn't help the problem other than knowing the maybe Tesla should have produced side bolsters with more support to prevent them from "giving" too much under pressure.

I put vaseline on a rag and worked it back and forth through there as if it was a polisher. Problem solved immediately and cost $0. That Krytex stuff is spendy!

I did the same after researching fixes for the problem and went with the least expensive "solution" and I can tell you that reapplication is necessary. The Mobile Tech for Tesla had some tube of "expensive German or some such crap" that he applied to one of my first cars shortly after buying it from Tesla and it stayed gone albeit I didn't own the car for a ton of time after application. I think I may order that stuff on Amazon to avoid having to reapply it regularly like I've had to do with the Vaseline.

Another inexpensive option (assuming you have some laying around) would be a small strip of the soft side of velcro/hook & loop applied to the offending area of the side of the armrest. Probably more noticeable though than some transparent lubricant.

• Informative
Reactions: domodan
Curious, are those who have this problem on the larger-than-average size? I ask because we've had 5 Model S cars now and all do it for me to some degree. I asked my wife and she said that it's only me that has this problem. She's an average size smokin' hot babe and I'm a bit of a gorilla.

I know this doesn't help the problem other than knowing the maybe Tesla should have produced side bolsters with more support to prevent them from "giving" too much under pressure.

I did the same after researching fixes for the problem and went with the least expensive "solution" and I can tell you that reapplication is necessary. The Mobile Tech for Tesla had some tube of "expensive German or some such crap" that he applied to one of my first cars shortly after buying it from Tesla and it stayed gone albeit I didn't own the car for a ton of time after application. I think I may order that stuff on Amazon to avoid having to reapply it regularly like I've had to do with the Vaseline.

Another inexpensive option (assuming you have some laying around) would be a small strip of the soft side of velcro/hook & loop applied to the offending area of the side of the armrest. Probably more noticeable though than some transparent lubricant.
I’m a big, broad shouldered guy. 6’ 1” and ~250. The passenger side doesn’t have this issue in my car either. I did this a couple months back and it’s still doing fine. I put it on both seat and the arm rest.

Common problem with the '15-'16 years with next gen seats. For me it was the passenger seat and for the "larger than average size" comment, it would rub/creak with no one in the seat at all. I just think the tolerances were too tight.

Note that this does not happen on my '19.
'

It doesn’t happen to me when I drive but it does to my hubby and son (both are over 6’) I went to Michaels and for $.99 I bought sticky felt. I cut it to fit on the armrest portion and not a peep since. It’s stayed in place for 35k miles.
I ordered some sticky felt! Thanks! I figured this is the best way to address the issue rather than applying vaseline or some other lubricant.

keep an eye on the sticky felt. My seat belt was wearing small friction hole in the outer side of the bottom seat bolster (facing door). Added the sticky felt but it kept coming off after a few weeks of use. Yes, used rubbing alcohol first on that part of the seat to ensrue good adhesion but the felt kept coming off. Havent had a chance to try a more perm fix

I’m a big, broad shouldered guy. 6’ 1” and ~250. The passenger side doesn’t have this issue in my car either. I did this a couple months back and it’s still doing fine. I put it on both seat and the arm rest.
We're similar dimensions it seems. You make a great point though that I hadn't yet thought of and it's that the passenger side seat does NOT squeak when I sit in it. This is across the five we've owned too so it's almost as if they made the driver's side seat off-center of the area it can be in towards the armrest.

In related news... the seat adjustments are in the worst possible spot. Getting to them while wearing a watch for my size hand/wrist is nearly impossible. I don't have to do it super frequently thanks to the profile functionality but whenever I do I cuss their location profusely.

We're similar dimensions it seems. You make a great point though that I hadn't yet thought of and it's that the passenger side seat does NOT squeak when I sit in it. This is across the five we've owned too so it's almost as if they made the driver's side seat off-center of the area it can be in towards the armrest.

In related news... the seat adjustments are in the worst possible spot. Getting to them while wearing a watch for my size hand/wrist is nearly impossible. I don't have to do it super frequently thanks to the profile functionality but whenever I do I cuss their location profusely.
My thought is just that the drivers seat is the one I sit in a lot more. I never spend time in the passenger seat. I figured if I did, that would probably be the seat it happened in. Maybe I’m wrong?

My thought is just that the drivers seat is the one I sit in a lot more. I never spend time in the passenger seat. I figured if I did, that would probably be the seat it happened in. Maybe I’m wrong?

I'm really not sure as I don't do it a lot but when I did I guess I didn't notice it. In the driver's seat I can't not notice it. Depending on the day it doesn't even require turns to make it happen and simply small bumps driving straight can be enough to produce it.

Weird to me that it seems like a situation where the seat doesn't have enough space on either side (note comment about seat adjustment controls above) and is the widest sedan I've ever owned. Not sure where all that width went when from side to you have every possible sacrifice (no door pocket to add thickness, not a large center console arm rest compared with some vehicles, not super wide seats when compared to other luxury cars) and yet it still close enough to squeak against the armrest for many drivers.

Either way, I started applying Vaseline from time to time and it helps for a bit until it wears off and then I have to reapply. I may just invest in some of that $20 stuff if it lasts longer. That said, even the stuff the Mobile Tech put on my seat started to lightly squeak again just before I sold it so I'm not sure that either Vaseline or some felt/velcro isn't the more permanent solution. Well, that and I'm back working out again regularly after injury so once I slim up a bit more maybe it will also fix this issue. *fingers crossed* #motivation Haha!

Thanks for the advice about the Krytox. I am a big guy (read fat) and am annoyed by the rubbing sound. I was thinking about doing the felt method a few mentioned, but I like the idea of this product since it is transparent. Also read on the Amazon reviews that it is good for plastic trim squeaks and weather-stripping.

Paid full price Model S in November , 2019 with FSD and Long Range option . Took possession in Dec 2019 of a “ 2020 Dual Motor “ . Still only have 3,500 miles on it ( covid parked ) . Kind of disappointed that 4 mths later new wheels , more range and substantial price drop are available . Wish I would of known in advance or I would of waited .. ugh !

I used Shin Etsu on the bolster by the armrest last year. It's a silicone grease used by Honda to combat squeaks and lubricate weather stripping. I tried leather conditioners (Lexol and Leather Rescue) and a silicone spray, but they did nothing. It is also a relatively expensive product, but still under $20 shipped. You might also be able to pick it up from your Honda dealer. I bought mine years ago to lubricate window tracks on my Miata. FWIW, I'd say I'm about average size, for an American at least (5'10" 175 lbs).

The driver's seat belt was also rattling where it contacted the plastic cover by the door. I wrapped the plastic part of the seatbelt assembly in a thin layer of self-adhesive ensolite (a type of closed cell foam) at the same time last year and it seems to be holding up fine with no rattles or wear, even on the foam.