Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver's Side Headlight Low-Beam Remains on with Car Off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driver's side headlight turned on by itself and would not turn off even with car off. Only the one headlight remained on.

Details:
Last night the driver's side headlight came on by itself. Possibly around the same time I turned inside cabin climate control on to warm the car. It was only the driver's side low-beam headlight (not the signature trim) that came on. The one headlight would not turn off even by switching the lights to manual in the console and selecting "off".

Drove the car a couple miles with both headlights on and the instrument cluster only showed the passenger headlight on - even though the driver's headlight remained on entire time. Also noticed the brights only worked on the passenger side.

Stopped the car and got out. All lights went off as normal except the driver's side headlight. It remained on and no way to force off. The driver's side headlight seemed to be "disconnected" from the system and was stuck on low beam - even with car off.

Did a couple restarts with the scroll wheels as well as full power off through the console but the light remained on. About 10 minutes later, headlight went off and everything seemed to be back to normal. Total time light was on by itself was about 30 minutes.

Not sure what may have caused this and if something needs to be checked out on the vehicle.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 3.42.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 3.42.42 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 351
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 3.46.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 3.46.53 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 118
Hard to diagnose if it’s back to normal. You could call national support and have them pull the logs from the car since you have the exact time it happened. You can tell them it’s a safety issue since you don’t trust the headlights to work properly and see how that goes. :D

It could have been a one-off and the reboots cleared it but be good to have their opinion.

Maybe a new "winking" feature ;)?

Just kidding - I have learned not to get too bent out of shape when the car exhibits odd behavior that seems to go away on its own (either through reboots or software updates). If the issue doesn't return, I wouldn't worry about it.

Our left headlight has issues too. Most of the time it is on but on occasions it is off. Service centre had a look at it and they found a ground wire to be badly tightened. Got the car back but a couple weeks later, the issue reappeared. Next time I'm at the service centre, they'll have another look at it(service centre is 200 km away). November 2013 S.

@Landrover360 - Tesla mobile service came out to the house and changed the defective headlight. Worked for about a year (till about 10/2019), then the LED trim started going out on the light. They ended up fixing that under warranty as well. Hoping that the last headlight replacement came from a better batch.

Attachments

• tesla-headlight.jpg
    tesla-headlight.jpg
    629.1 KB · Views: 107
@Landrover360 - Tesla mobile service came out to the house and changed the defective headlight. Worked for about a year (till about 10/2019), then the LED trim started going out on the light. They ended up fixing that under warranty as well. Hoping that the last headlight replacement came from a better batch.
The yellowing trim is a totally separate issue and much more common for earlier model S. If it is under warranty replace it, if it isn’t, I may just leave it and hope the other side goes too so it looks even.